Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
New Camper

Where to start but to say Hi to all, I've been reading the forums for 2 days now (waiting for authorization to post) and I just noticed I can post. I am going to keep this as short as possible but we all know how that goes.

First, My tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab with a 6.6' bed (they refer to it as standard bed). I have the gas 6.0l engine, and have the heavy duty tow package installed on the truck (we use it to pull our horse trailer occationally). I know, I should have got the deisel, but, I didn't and I can't change that now (my truck has only 3300 miles on it)... acccording to Gmc the GCWR is a max of 16,000 lbs

We want to stay small, so we are thinking about the CF26ULX because we like the big dinnet option but it seems to stick out a bit. The length of 27'11" is a nice comfortable size for us (our 1st 5er) from a weight side, our truck curb weight is about 5600 and the cf26ulx is about 7,000 so I'm looking at about 12,600 dry combined weight. With 26 gallons of gas and 2 adults I'm adding about another 500lbs so I'm up to 13,100 leaving me about 2900 lbs .. does this sound like a safe and sound set up for our truck?

I"d like to hear from folks expecially with a similar set up, I know the desiel would be a much better tow vehicle but like I said, I'm stuck with what we have.

I was surprised to see that there is a requirement for yearly inspecitons that have to be with a dealer (the one we know of locally is still a 200 mile round trip for us). And I can't beleive that a fixed price has not been established for the inspection... I realize that repairs and touch ups would be addtional but if the unit has to go back to an authorized dealer then set up a fixed fee for the coach and be done with it.. That just chafes my hide!

It seems like most of the folks here love their unit, and from looking at their manufacturing brochure it looks like they have a good strong design .. But, I can't take the unit back to the factory everytime I havea issue that the dealer can't handle and that is the only dealer with in a day's drive for us. Heck, its a tank of gas round trip :-)

What else are we looking at you ask, here ya go. Laredo 245 rl, Copper Canyon-Sprinter 252fwrls, and the cougar 276rls (a little bigger) or the Rockwood 8260ws we choose these for the R-values and heated and enclosed tanks.

We will probably install a manual slide hitch in our truck, we may not need it but from what I see, a little extra length could come in handy at times, the way I look at it it's a $500 insurance policy .

I know I'll have lots of other questions, I see others have purchaed via the internet to save money and I may check it out.. I"d like to use a local dealer but how close is close.. and in the end if I have to go back to the factory for work what difference does it make. Have you found that the factory supports buying from the internet dealers?

Thats about it and we look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions (were just 20 miles east of Nashville FYI)...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You are looking at 1400 lbs of pin weight plus 20 percent of your loaded weight in the unit you should be fine have fun

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Hi and welcome to the forum. If and when you have a problem this is a great place to be.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Crossroads family.
You will be fine pulling with your truck the unit you are talking about.
Regarding warranty and repairs,not every one lives next to the dealer (like myself) there are Crossroads Authorized repair shops in different locations that you can use ,go to the Crossroads website click your postal code and it will show you the ones close to you http://www.crossroadsrv.com/buyers/service_center.asp
and go from there.
You can also e-mail the service center in Indiana or call them for advice.
I have mine since 2006 and went only once to the dealer just after I made the purchase.
Enjoy

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You will be fine with the setup you are looking at. My signature truck is a 5.4l gas with a 4.10 rearend, 2wd. We are on our second cf30sk with this truck. Truck is rated at 18,000 GCWR and we are at 16,000 loaded. Have been through a lot of Tenn. with truck with no problems. Get about 8.5 mpg towing at 62-63 mph. Have fun and enjoy.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for the responses and kind welcome, this looks like a good place to ask questions for sure :-) Since this is the first time for us to actually look and consider a 5th wheel were a bit overwhelmed with it all.. Like you folks have said it looks like our tow vehicle should be fine, I was really surprised when I read that the 2500hd chassis with the 6.0L 345hp engine was only rated at 16,000 lbs GCWR it just seems low compared to a similar Ford product. I"m not sure how much "Stuff" we willl carry on anyone trip, but if I have done my numbers correct that with a full tank of gas and a dry 5er were at about 13,000 lbs so, that does give us some cussion.

In further discussions with the local dealer, we are having him quote us a manual slider for that added assurance it's there if we need it..

now it's off to see if we can make the numbers line up and get the unit on order!

Thanks again for the responses, I'm sure I willl be back :-)
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have an '05 2500hd with the same motor as you, well close mine is 300hp I believe. Tow package, 4:10 gear and pulling a 30CK Paradise Point. Yes the diesel would be ideal for towing but don't underestimate the capabilities of your truck. That 16,000 GCWR is a very conservative number. You have nothing to worry about with the setup you are considering.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Try contacting Newbys in Manchester TN. I bought mine from them, I am just North of Atlanta. I was happy with the price and service. Good luck.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We just bought a 2006 PP 30RL and looking at trucks right now. Have a chance to buy a 2001 F250 7.3 ltr. diesel.....it's pulled a 36' 5er for the last 3 or 4 years. Should we be worried about the transmission or brakes, etc. I've been told the engine is a work horse that can last forever (has only 118,000 miles on it right now). Seems to have been taken care of....sales price is $12,000 which is tempting when looking at the costs of the newer trucks. I just found out though, that the newer super duty trucks (diesel) have higher towing capabilities then this "work horse"!

2006 Paradise Pointe 30RL
Melstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to mlsawmill
Transmission ? I have had 5 Ford diesels and only one had (1996) had transmission replaced at 106,000 miles.

2of these were the 7.3.

Brakes, make sure you check the back brakes for my on the 96 were replaced at about 100,000 miles because of them being cracked.

Front are easy to change.

Both 7.3's did good and the mileage was about the same as I am getting on the 2006 and 2008 which is 10 to 13 pulling and the other with the camper on.

Power not near the 2006 or the 2008 but did very good.

You didn't say what the truck is, crew cab? super cab? long bed? XLT or other? 4x4? auto or standard? so can't say about the price.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Truck is a 2001 Crew Cab Lariat 7.3

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Truck is a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 7.3 Auto transmission

Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Since you are still looking and negotiating, put a PullRite SuperGlide or your hitch of choice installed by the dealer as part of the deal. I got the dealer to add that as part of the complete package when I got my Seville. A manual slider is nice, this thing does it on it's own. The downside to the SuperGlide is that you have to be straight (+/- 16deg) to hook/unhook but other than that, I'm happy.

One other suggestion, get a 5th wheel tailgate at some point. I tow with the tailgate off just to make sure I don't do customizing with the pin box. I've been told that sooner or later, I'll forget and do the ultimate bend.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

already have the 5th Wheel....bought it at a rock bottom price...so no dealing for a hitch. I did get a new awning replacement in the deal.

I'm trying to find a truck right now.....didn't know that a good truck for less money would be so hard.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Ahh. I understand.

Old adage, you can never have too much truck.

My nephew seems to think a better way to go is a OTR chassis customed. He runs a Sterling chassis on a service truck & thought it was a better deal than getting a large Ford/GM (1T or larger). His warranty is 300k miles I think.

Good luck. I hate vehicle shopping.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote