Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Hello ; I'm in the thinking phase about a 25rb Sunset Trail Reserve...was looking at Jayco 26dsrb which has the almost identical layout ,but saw a Sunset trail going down the road and it really caught my eye . Upon looking at a few ,there was a considerable difference in the look and hopefully the quality. I am wanting a hid a bed and tried a 2013 with a tri-fold bed and it was easy and comfortable.

Is there anyone out there that would give me some good or bad feedback on this unit please.

I currently have an "05 2505 KZ Outdoorsman(Frontier in the U.S.)with quad bunks up front and a manual queen bed slide at the rear that has worked wonderful with girls and friends , but its time for a change for me.....

thanks in advance from Belle river. Ontario
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Harley,

Picking mine up on Monday and then maiden voyage for a week. I will let you know how things go.

Big seller for us was the real queen size bed that our feet didn't hang over, 16" on center aluminum construction, real plywood floor not particle board, enclosed underbelly, TV and fireplace swivel into bedroom (that sold the wife). We added 30lb propane tanks, Maxxair vent covers and a slide awning.

Just so you know the weight of our unit dry with options is about 6200lbs.

Ian

Edited by: Roadie66

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Harley, I purchased a 25 ft. Crossroads Sunset trail in the latter part of May, 2012. It was the dummest thing I have done in a long time. The slide out is totally electrical with no manual overide. The slide out worked for a total of 14 times before failing. I had to have a service tech come out ($300) and pull the motor so we could push the slide back in. The trailer has either waiting to get fixed or in the shop since July 15th. Don't take my word for it, check on line to see the numerous problems with the slide out on this trailer. Just hope that you aren't 200 miles from a dealer or service tech when the slide out sticks.

Also, I am so disgrunteled about the trailer, I have researched the prospects of trading it in for a more reliable trailer. The $34,000 trailer is now worth 19 to 20 K on a trade in.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
< ="text/" ="http://c&#111;nnected.southwestwifi.com/adapter/top_post.js">

Funny, we love ours. Had it since Feb. Only think that has failed is that I broke the table leg. They were happy to give me another one. I would have just glued it.

If you paid $34k, then you got snookered. I paid $22k for mine, so I guess I must be doing alright.

The layout is excellent for a family. there is room to sleep five people - 2 on the dinette, one on the couch and 2 on the bed. The couch is not very comfortable bed - I bought some memory foam topper for the mattress to see how that goes. The slide is big, and I for one think the design is excellent due to the 4 tracks that move it in and out. Mine doesn't wobble going in or out - smoothly glides.

The outside kitchen and grill are awesome. We put all our sodas in the outside fridge.

The bath is huge and will lots of storage for all the kids clothes and other stuff - they each get their own cubby. So that works out for us.

The big tv is also a nice have. We also put a 22'' lcd in the outside kitchen compartment so we can watch games while we cook.

Highly recommended! Enjoy.< ="text/" ="http://c&#111;nnected.southwestwifi.com/adapter/bottom_post.js">

Edited by: wincrasher
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crant

Harley, I purchased a 25 ft. Crossroads Sunset trail in the latter part of May, 2012. It was the dummest thing I have done in a long time. The slide out is totally electrical with no manual overide. The slide out worked for a total of 14 times before failing. I had to have a service tech come out ($300) and pull the motor so we could push the slide back in. The trailer has either waiting to get fixed or in the shop since July 15th. Don't take my word for it, check on line to see the numerous problems with the slide out on this trailer. Just hope that you aren't 200 miles from a dealer or service tech when the slide out sticks.

Also, I am so disgrunteled about the trailer, I have researched the prospects of trading it in for a more reliable trailer. The $34,000 trailer is now worth 19 to 20 K on a trade in.
1st off you paid to much for a used trailer, because if you purchased it new it would have come with a warranty saving you $300.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I did purchase the trailer new---with warranty. Big deal.The warranty doesn't cover on site repairs, only repairs at the dealer.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I am glad it is working out for you. I sincerely hope you don't get the slide out stuck in the out position any significant distance from an authorized dealer----there is no manual overide.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crant

I did purchase the trailer new---with warranty. Big deal.Â*The warranty doesn't cover on site repairs, only repairs at the dealer.

Have you contacted Crossroads about the problem and what you had to do? They are very good about warranty work.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have contacted Crossroads. As you say, there are good about giving latitude and warranty repair work. However, if you get the slide out stuck while on vacation far away from an authorized dealer, the problem is yours! I also purchased Easy Ride insurance which allegedly covers the on site costs less $50----what a nightmare!!!

Take a look at the number of people who complain about the slide out system. There are many. It is too bad Crossroads went with this system because it tarnish's their name. I told another dealer that I had a 25ft Crossroads (year 2012) that I would like to trade on one their new models. Without any prompting from me about the problems etc., he said, "having problems with the slide out huh?". That comment speaks volumes.

In my opinion, warranty is not the answer. A reliable system that doesn't require four men to push the slide in, a step ladder to access the motors, and proper tools is not the answer to keep from being stranded on vacation. Don't take my word for it---take a look at other posts.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Ray,
Purely up to you... I but stay on top of CR in having them reimburse you for the on-site fix. The question I would have CR would be " how do you suggest I bring the unit to the closest Authorized dealer with the slide hanging-out at least 2ft?".

When I first purchased my trailer I was bringing it to the dealer for some minor warranty issues, when about 15 miles from the dealer the rear axle separated from the U-Bolt shackles. I contacted the dealer and about 2 hours later they had a tow truck with a low boy trailer arrive, 2 hours later (total of 4hrs) I was riding in the semi pulling into the dealer., with my 5er on and TV on the trailer. I was told by the dealer the CR reimbursed them the $500 tow truck cost..

Either a slide in the out position, or a separated axle neither unit is save for road travel and it should be covered by the warranty. Have you confirmed the what the warranty states in these cases?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I have confirmed the warranty status with the dealer, Crossroads, and the Easy Ride insurance I purchased.

This is the third trailer I've purchased. Definitely the last Crossroads.

I live out west where it is not uncommon to be 100 miles from any kind of dealer. The warranty might be okay, but what good does the warranty do when you are stranded because of a defunk system?

The trailer has been disabled since July 15th. Still being fixed at the dealer. It has now been dysfunctional more than operative since I got it. So much for the summer, fall etc.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Getting closer to the buy on the 25rb...sold my KZ Outdoorsman in one day , so the trade in is ready for paperwork .

Thinking about going with LazeeAcres ,north of Toronto . They seem accommodating , hopefully not just a sales pitch.

Apparently CR is no longer making the 25rb on the reserve platform and will be using the Slingshot platform which will be called just Sunset Trail ...not reserve.No more Slingshot. Kinda stuck finding one on a dealer s inventory. The one I found has a Carefree awning ...any pros or cons with Carefree vs. A&E?

thanksHarley
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Well , got the new 25rb 2 weeks ago . Need some tweeking as dealers never do a proper pdi.

Had it delivered to my door so never really saw the unit first. There was a few things overlooked but all in all it is an impressive unit ....hopefully everything keeps working.Was told by the dealer and someone at crossrosads that the tires were balanced before they get them to put on , but I just had them balanced and there is no way they were ever done...now they are done right...

wish me luck
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I hope you have better luck than me.
My Crossroads worked for 43 days before the slide out stuck (mid July 2012). The slide out has stuck three times, including one time at the service department when they told me it was fixed. It has been at the dealership since August 15, 2012 getting warranty work, including the slide out. I have yet to get the trailer back.

Customer service is a misnomer.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We just purchased a Z1 271bh, after hearing about the problems and accessability issues with the new slide mechanisms I would not have purchased a unit with that setup. Ours has the old style with motor underneath, and is supplied with an emergency crank.
Crant, I hope you are back on the road soon.
Harley, good luck with the new trailer, we purchased from Layzee Acres too.