Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Am considering Sunset Trail st250rb superlite vs the solaire 278rbk ultralite pulled with a f150 crew cab w/5.4, 3.73, tow package rated at 9500 lbs.

Any words of wisdom?

thanks

loogie17
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can not speak for the Solaire, but we love our Sunset Trail

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Ditto
We love our SF32RL Sunset Trail 2014 CrossRoads
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I have that unit and we love it! All the standard features are awesome. Got a great deal too. Pm me if you would like more info.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

more importantly than the "tow rating" is the available payload and adjusted towing capacity? Meaning, what is the payload and towing capacity after allowing for all passengers, gear, pets, and fuel? understand that 9500 lbs is for a stripped down 2wd model with just a 150 lb driver in it. Same thing for any stated payload capacity.if you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest loading your truck up with all passengers, pets and gear that will be in it when towing plus a full tank of fuel and go weigh your truck. Take the scaled weight and subtract it from the trucks gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take the scaled weight and subtract it from the trucks gvwr to get your available payload. The payload must account for anything in or on the truck. This includes everything above plus the tongue weight of the trailer.

Next you need to understand you will never tow a dry or unloaded trailer so the dry weight and dry tongue weights become pretty much useless. If you knew exactly how much weight you add to a trailer you could just add that to the stickered dry weight (sticker includes propane and batteries, brochure weight does not include those in the weight). to give you an idea of how much weight that could be, on average many will add 1000-1500 lbs to a trailer, some more, some less. Not knowing what you will add, you are safer just using the trailer gvwr for your calculations.

For the sunset trail that means a gvwr of 7722 lbs. The loaded tongue weight should be between 13-15% of loaded trailer weight for stability when towing. For a potentially worse case scenario, that means gvwr 7722 lbs x 15% tongue weight = 1158 lbs. now take your available payload and subtract this loaded tongue weight fom it. If it is a positive number and the trailer weight is less than your adjusted towing capacity then you should be ok towing this trailer. Repeat this process for the solaire using the solaire gvwr (if not listed then gvwr will be TT dry/unloaded weight plus cargo capacity).

now on to your question about the trailer itself. Sunset trail is a nice looking trailer. I have the zinger. it has been a good trailer to me. it has had a few minor issues repaired under warranty, crossroads and my dealership took care of this. Speaking of warranty, be aware that crossroads decreased their warranty fom 2 yrs to 1 yr last fall. Also be aware there has been a spike in trailer problems discussed on these boards but also remember that more people will post neg than positive comments. Sorry I don't really know anything about the solaire. I know it is made by palomino. their owners forum is on the forest river owners forums. I have been considering the sabre (Also made by palomino)as my next upgrade. not sure if I helped you or confused you but happy hunting.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I watched the video on the solaire, we have the st25rb, and love all the inside storage and the big counter top. We cannot get into the bathroom with the slide closed. I like the table set up in the ST better, easy to set up for sleeping and it is very large and has a bigger slide, but the solaire has no carpeting a plus. Liked you had a ladder to get to the top of the unit. You do not have all the storage inside that the ST has in the Solaire, in the keys for two months we still had some empty cabinets with snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, biking and hiking supplies on board. The ST has 15 inch wheels with aluminum. I do like the idea of the dinette on one side and the couch on the other side with the big window over the dinette on the front of the trailer. You have some hard decisions to make. We do love our fireplace.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks to all for the replies/info.

Anaro-we had completed all the computations & we will be under the max weights by 1k lbs. Great info & all should do their home work before going to a dealer. Most sales people have no idea what or how to figure your weights. This is very dangerous.

We were fourtunate enough to be able to compair the 2 trls side by side. We ordered the ST & feel very good(wife is happy).

Now for one more question: Has anyone had any experience with the anderson weight distribution hitches? Look very simple alternative to the very expensive Hensley. Also if it is quiter than all the other WD hitcheswe have had it would be great.

any info would be appreciated

loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote