Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #31
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the good advice!

We made our first trip last weekend. Overall everything went well. I am VERY inexperienced but learning quickly, lol.

Had some help getting all set up and leved at the campground which was a blessing! We are going back out this weekend to another close campground. Hopefully we start to fill in the gaps that we missed on the first trip.

I did have the pleasure of trying to get all disconnected and hitched up to leave during a torrential downpour...HAPPY FATHER's DAY to me, lol.

I also had 1 minor leak between the awning and the camper to the left of my door. And 2 vents were not blowing air (front 2 vents by TV and Bedroom). But luckily the camper is small enough that it still cooled down fine. Warranty items to be addressed at a later date.

I did realize how poorly a job my tech did on the PDI walkthrough... and the tech that installed my hitch. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to UNHITCH, and then Re-hitching wasn't easy either. I expected that to be a lot more smoothly than it was. Like I said, I am learning!

OH, how do I drain the fresh water tank? They filled it for me and I do not need it, that is just unnecessary weight.
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

Congratulations! We haven't heard from you here for a while! Glad to hear you got it, and have had the success you described. Hitching/unhitching is an art. Take it slow, and be methodical. Think of what you're doing every step along the way, and retrace your steps often. Downpours? Yes, all the time during hitching! LOL. I keep a rain poncho in my bay with all the hitching stuff. If I know I'm going to get wet, I make sure I have some dry clothes to change into just before we roll out. That is, after the hitching, the unhooking, the unstabilizing, the unchocking, etc, and the only thing holding the TT is the truck with my wife inside. Then I towel off, change clothes, lock the door and put the step up.
Drain the tank? Under the tank, i.e. in the vicinity of the water tank inlet, look underneath for a stubby tube coming straight down with a cap at the end. It looks like one of the pair of low point drains. Unscrew the cap (should only be hand tight) and the water will drain. If you're at home, a pre-positioned garden hose can sometimes be nestled up to catch the water and divert it.
Post a picture, either here, or in your profile or registry!
Dalzell SC
2015 - 9 Trips, 41 Nights, 6555 miles!
2016 - 10 Trips, 44 Nights, 3135 miles!
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #33
Weekend Camper

We've been out on two trips so far with ours and learning each time!

Definitely use the chocks on both sides. Saw a friend forget to do that and his trailer rolled back onto his stabilizer jacks and bent them up.

Did our first dump today, that went very well. Paid $10 at a local camp site.

Left a friend's property late last night at 9pm and it was a windy steep dirt road. Took about 10 minutes to get around the corner and inches from jack knifing. Had to put the truck into 4lo to back it up the hill a few times. Was not a good experience, but hopefully I can get better at getting around stuff like that. Wish I had a 23' some times! My biggest fear is jack knifing and hitting the trailer with the truck.

PokerMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #34
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
We've been out on two trips so far with ours and learning each time!

Definitely use the chocks on both sides. Saw a friend forget to do that and his trailer rolled back onto his stabilizer jacks and bent them up.

Did our first dump today, that went very well. Paid $10 at a local camp site.

Left a friend's property late last night at 9pm and it was a windy steep dirt road. Took about 10 minutes to get around the corner and inches from jack knifing. Had to put the truck into 4lo to back it up the hill a few times. Was not a good experience, but hopefully I can get better at getting around stuff like that. Wish I had a 23' some times! My biggest fear is jack knifing and hitting the trailer with the truck.

I can not see me using my camper without having full hookups. I think I am more of a Glamper...lol

Who knows, maybe down the road I will get brave?

I do have a question in regards to the grey tank though. If you are camping somewhere that does not have sewage and your grey fills up, can you pull the valve and let some of the grey water out?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #35
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
I can not see me using my camper without having full hookups. I think I am more of a Glamper...lol

I do have a question in regards to the grey tank though. If you are camping somewhere that does not have sewage and your grey fills up, can you pull the valve and let some of the grey water out?
It is illegal in most states to dump the sewage or grey water on the ground. What you can do, though, is buy one of those blue pull behind totes that you can dump your grey or sewer water into, then hook it over your ball hitch on your truck and pull it over to the dump station. Allows you to dump without having to move your RV. You can put it in the bed of the truck while you are traveling, or strap it to the ladder.

Here is a link to an example. (Moderators, I am not advertising. These are available at a number of places, this is just to show the poster what I'm talking about.)

http://www.amazon.com/Barker-30844-4...=rv+sewer+tote
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Mike that is very helpful.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #37
Full Time Camper

You're welcome. I've had one of these for years. Comes in handy for an extended stay at a park without sewer hookups.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #38
Full Time Camper

Quote:

You'll learn fast to use less gray drain. In the shower, rinse, turn the button on the nozzle off, and lather. Then rinse again. Repeat as needed. Coffee grounds go in a plastic bag. Unused black coffee from the pot can be flung in the bushes. No need to rinse everything so much. Stop water when brushing teeth. We all grew up with bad water habits. Having a gray tank will teach you how to be a bit miserly. Soon, you'll be able to go a two (or maybe even a three) day weekend on tanks alone, without hookups. BTW, if you HAD TO, you could, I suppose, use a 2 gal bucket to catch gray drain, and carry it in and dump it down the toilet, thus trading gray space for black. The worst we ever got was water backing up into the shower/tub. OK! That's it! It takes time. Enjoy!
Dalzell SC
2015 - 9 Trips, 41 Nights, 6555 miles!
2016 - 10 Trips, 44 Nights, 3135 miles!
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #39
Family Vacation Member

I am pretty sure we will be camping mostly with FULL hookups until we figure everything out.

I didn't think about the small 26gal grey tank, even though when comparing other TT's I did notice some were 40 or so in the same category as mine.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:

Before you pull the handle and drop your stuff on the ground at the camp site, stop and ask yourself if you would like to camp in that site if you knew the guy before you had just done that same thing.

As an added note---this thread is starting to get pretty far off topic from the OP. Probably time to start a new thread.
135 Watt Kyocera Solar Panel
25 Amp Go Power Regulator

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote