Old 05-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Talk me down from the ledge...

We have an agreement at Camping World in Akron on a 2016 Crossroads ST270BH. We feel like we got a good deal and really liked the lay out and appearance as well as the "classy" feel we got from this model.

We were also looking at th KZ show stopper 280BHSS which is a VERY similar model and layout.

We could have gotten the KZ (at a different dealer) for about $3000 less, but there were a few drawbacks and things that I WANTED that the KZ didn't have and the CR's did.

I wanted the leather looking interior. I wanted a seperate outside door from the bathroom. I wanted outdoor speakers and a Black tank flush as well as a power toungue jack, power stabilizer jacks. I wanted an outdoor shower. I also really liked the couch/bed in the CR compared to the KZ. As well as the Queen Bed in the front beedroom.

So friend's of ours went ahead and made the leap before us and bought the KZ. We continued our search and landed at the CR. We are scheduled to sign and pick up on June 15th...

My concerns and reservations:

* 2yr warranty vs 1yr warranty.
* the extra money for some of the "comforts/luxury" are they worth it?
* I've been reading a LOT of negative things about Crossroads (naturally AFTER I am just about to be a new owner!!!)

I guess I am looking for HAPPY Crossroads CAMPERS!

Sorry if I sound like a needy new camper (I am a NEW camper)

Thanks, Jim
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

What you will see on this forum, or any other rv forum, is mainly complaints about the campers. People usually don't complain about having a good camper, and if they don't have any problems some feel why post anything. This is my opinion: Crossroads have just as many problems as other Rv brands. Don't believe that, check out all the rv forums.
I've had my 13 Crusier Patriot for two seasons now; very few problems. Most of the problems were minor and all were fixed under the Two year warranty that was standard in the past. In addition, I bought an extended service contract for 7 years. Expensive, little bit; but I've used them in the past and always got my money out of them. Too much to go wrong on any new Rv. Even if I don't use it, it's worth the piece of mind to me.
Would I buy another Crossroads? Sure, no question. I'm very well pleased with the product. I'm sure others that have experienced major problems will not purchase another Crossroads, like a person with major Jayco problems would not purchase another Jayco.
There ya have it. My view on Crossroads Rv's. Just remember, it's just as important to have a good dealer also.

The extra money spent on upgrades? Your decision, but I like the added luxury.

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Crossroad Rally" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Jimmerz, you mentioned several expensive things (outside shower, extra door to bathroom, etc.) that either will or not be in the model you select. You want those things, and they will drive up the cost. But in the long run, get what you want. Better to know what you want ahead of time, and get it; than to wish you got them later.
Don't know about yours, but our Camping World is Straight-A. Good deal, square shooters, and good for repair. You will always find some lone wolf who will undersell them. To us, seeing a CW sign in a new town is a welcome sight.
See my thread, "We got a winner!." Remember, you only hear about the very few horror stories, and many of them are operator-caused. Few people get on line to record "no problems!."
My advice: Go ahead with your agreement, and then go camping with your friends in a two-site setup. Then you can compare notes on the spot, with a beer in your hand! Enjoy!
Dalzell SC
2015 - 9 Trips, 41 Nights, 6555 miles!
2016 - 10 Trips, 44 Nights, 3135 miles!
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Jim
I have to agree with Mark & Martha...I own a 2013 305SKP and am very happy with it...The only advice I would give you is, since CR and most other manufactures only offer a one year warranty at this time, once you take delivery of your camper use the hell out of it...That way you can address any warranty issues during the winter....Good luck and Enjoy...
2013 Cruiser Patriot 305 SKP

In God We Trust
Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Jim, I've read all the horror stories from folks that have had bad experiences with CR. We bought a 2013 ST 26 BH Reserve earlier this year and have had it out several times on short and longer trips and have a Denver to Prescott and Denver to Seattle trips planned in the next two months and we couldn't be happier with what we have. I also wanted the power everything and was willing to pay a little extra for them. We have had absolutely no problems with it. Everything works and have had no reason for service. Good luck with your decision on what ever you choose and happy camping.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I agree with Marty - get what you want. The outside bathroom door would be nice for on the road, and also if you have children they can go directly into the bathroom without traipsing through the rest of the unit.

As for warranty, SleepyT has a good point - use the heck out of it the first year. Having said that, we got a 2 year warranty with ours, used the heck out of it for two years, and we are STILL dealing with warranty issues. I think we just got a bad one, you can get that with anything you buy. We would have traded long ago if we didn't like the layout so much. Crossroads has been very good to us, however and all our concerns have been addressed.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I'm buying the same camper from Camping World on Thursday. How much are you paying? Not sure about rules on this board, but we probably need to send Private Messages.

For the money (mod.edit), I couldn't find a nicer camper that weights under 5500. Ohio dealers are selling them at (mod.edit) plus handling. I had to pay a little more but came out about same with driving there and back.

That KZ looks a lot cheaper. Can that be had sub (mod. edit)? Nice deal. Since your friends bought one, I would not want the same camper and would buy the ST
PokerMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I'm buying the same camper from Camping World on Thursday. How much are you paying? Not sure about rules on this board, but we probably need to send Private Messages.

For the money (mod.edit), I couldn't find a nicer camper that weights under 5500. Ohio dealers are selling them at (mod.edit) plus handling. I had to pay a little more but came out about same with driving there and back.

That KZ looks a lot cheaper. Can that be had sub (mod. edit)? Nice deal. Since your friends bought one, I would not want the same camper and would buy the ST
I agree with not finding a nicer camper under 5500! I think I've been searching for 2 years.

I'll message you the price.
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
I agree with not finding a nicer camper under 5500! I think I've been searching for 2 years.

I'll message you the price.

x2,

I did research for 2 years before pulling the trigger on our Sunset Trail. Crossroads makes the nicest, lightest campers for the money

2011 Ford 150 Ecoboost SuperCrew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I had a few minor issues that were fixed in one trip to the dealer (cracked skylight over shower, leaking black tank flush, LEDs not working on awning). Nothing else in the past two+ years.

With all the power doo-dads, my wife and I felt better buying a 7 year service contract. Hopefully, I won't use it, but it was worth the peace of mind to us.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote