Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Thinking of purchasing a 26RB

New to the forum, and looking for some advice on a trailer purchase, and hoping some of you could ease some of our concerns about our first TT purchase. We have many family members and friends that currently camp with travel trailers and 5er's, and we have been researching for the past year on the topic to find the right TT, and TV for our needs.

My wife and I have narrowed it down to a 300BH, or a 26RB. We just bought a brand new 2015 F-150 with the max tow package to replace my wife's car for her. The numbers for the truck are as follows:

TV Empty Weight: 5,180
TV GVWR: 7,000
TV CC: 1,820
TV GCWR: 16,900
TV Tow Capacity: 11,500 (Yeah right, I'll run out of payload long before I hit this number...)

We bought this because 90% of the time it will be used around town as our regular vehicle.

Our problem is we have 2 boys, 1 who will be leaving for college in 2 years, another entering HS next year, so I'd hate to buy a bunk house that only has about 1,000 lbs of CC realistic from dealer when in a couple years we won't need the bunk house, and I will probably upgrade my vehicle to a 250/350 at that point anyways as I will need a new vehicle.

So I guess my question is, if we purchase the 26RB, even though it has a GVWR of 9,500 with 3,000 of which is CC, we only plan on putting about 1,500 of gear max in it self-limiting our trailer weight to 8,000 lbs would we be ok for a couple of years? We will be near our cargo capacity for the truck with all of us in the TV, but just under I believe if I use 12% hitch weight numbers at 8,000lbs giving me 960 lbs, plus another 100 lbs for the WD hitch, leaving me with about 760 lbs of passenger weight.

We want to be safe, but we also know we will probably upgrade our TV in 3-5 years, so would rather not take a bath on buying something we won't need anymore in as little as 2 years, and trading in the trailer, as we know we will grow into it for what our needs are for the future as we know more gadgets and do-hickies tend to be purchased for the camper as time goes on, adding to the weight.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote