Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
New Camper

We are strongly considering the Redwood, in fact it is probably that or an older Mobile Suites (maximum GVWR 16000) as we need the capability to handle 0F. We have spoken to someone who has toured the Redwood factory, and gave really good review, saying it appeared to be well built! However, we would still like to get the opinions of some owners as to how they are finding the unit so far. I think we would probably get the RL, but would like to hear about any problems/kudos on any of their models. I know that monitoring the nearest dealer sites to us (there are 2) they have sold at least 6 units in the last few months, so there have to be quite a few in use now.
Sure hope there are some owners around that see this and respond! I don't believe their forum is operational yet. When I sent questions to Redwood, I was asked if i wanted to join the forum, I said yes, but haven't heard anything on one yet.
Thanks for reading this!
Marian
MaidMarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

;od day, not sure if you'll get the info you are seeking here, may want to try a couple other forums, such as :
www.irv2.com/forums
www.rvforum.net/joomla/
rv-dreams.activeboard.com
forum.ftrv.com
Just a thought. And/or if you are a member of an organization, such as military or some such, youmay want to try a forum through that org. Hope this assists. Good luck and happy motoring. I must add, I researched RVs and 5ers in particular,for approx ten years and I kept coming back to Crossroads. Quality and customer support/service, not to mention the actual RVers here!!!

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I may be wrong... someone might correct me, but Redwood has a lot of influence from Carriage Ridge. It could be BS, but at the last rv show I was at a salesperson told me that many executives from Carriage Ridge moved over to Thor to start up the Redwood. It might be a direction to look in...
I don't know much about them but they seem nice. It seems that a lot of people have quality issues with Lippert and I believe Redwood doesn't use much (or any) Lippert Components.
Good luck....

Edited by: happycampers
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I looked at the Redwood but we decided against it, I didn't want a lippert frame and the redwood comes with a lippert frame, but what really put us off was the entertainment center, the computer desk is under the TV and under the desk is the fireplace so if someone is watching TV you can't use the desk, and with the fireplace right under the the desk, doesn't leave much room for your feet..the Redwood is less expensive than the carriage, but I think in all reality the carriage is a better 4 season unit...the Redwood has a nice option list but the entertainment center and the frame was a killer for us, Carriage builds all there own frames, we are getting ready to buy the Carriage 37RESLS....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

mbinohio: The F.I.T. System that Redwood uses... is that Lippert???

Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
New Camper

To HappyCampers. Yes, Lippert makes the Falcon frame to Redwood Specifications, as does DRV and a few others. It is Lippert but not the basic lippert that most manufacturers use. This is what I was told by Tom at Redwood. And yes, a number of Carriage executives came over to Redwood, in fact the CEO of Redwood/Crossroads is from Carriage!
mbinohio, We have checked out Carriage, but they are not what we are looking for. They do make an in-house frame, its true. We do not like the Cameo floorplans, none of them would suit what we need. Also, we had someone go through both the Carriage and Redwood factories, and he told use to stay away from Carriage, they aren't what they used to be a few years ago! But he liked what he saw at Redwood. The desk being under the TV and over the fireplace is not a problem for us, we would use it for storage mostly, anyway. but I can see if you need to use the desk a lot, it would be a problem. As for the Lippert frame, as I said above, since it isn't standard, it should be okay. It has been designed by engineers specifically for Redwood. However, having said that, we will be checking it very closely to see how good the welds, etc are. My DH has welding experience, and will know if it is a good welding job or not!
Ruck, thank you for the link, I will be checking them out shortly.
Marian
MaidMarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the info. I did not know FIT was lippert. Sounds like you are doing your research.

Upon my discovery... I am confusing the name carriage cameo with a local resort here call carriage ridge.... my bad!!! My memory is good--but its short!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Saw my first one on Lake Erie this weekend. Owners were very happy (they have one of the first made) and it is holding up well, very luxurious and typical high end features. I'd consider one if I were shopping. Carriage has hit some bumps in the last few years and I've read the owners forum a few times with some disappointed owners who thought they were buying a high-end unit.I suppose anyone can make a lemon so I'm not sure what the statistical level of ownership satisfaction is on each brand.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
New Camper

Going to factory on tues. Will post what I see after that. I have looked at them all and i think for full time living for a couple years its the way to go.
buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
New Camper

whent to redwood factory today.The talk about the frame is bunk .The frame is big massive well inforced and made to Red would specs by fit which is a div. of lippert but guys and gals I am a mechanical engineer and this whole unit is very,very well built. With the technoligy we have today I dont think it could be better built.Any questions please ask. After a lot of looking and investigating and owning more than 10 rvs .I will order mine this week.They are very nice people from the sales people to the plant manager and the engineer. Thor should be proud
buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Wonder what ever happened to buck????
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Loyd
He got his new redwood and lived happily ever after
End of story
Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Team

He would be one of the very few if that is the case.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

2016 38SB Carriage

For what it's worth, we bought the 2016 38SB Crossroads Carriage this past November. It has "Redwood" stickers all over the frame and construction. This has been a great 5th wheel for us with minimal issues, most of which were related to the Linc Pad.

From what I've seen, it's hard to distinguish the new Carriage line from the Redwood line, except for the logo.

btw there is a Redwood Owners forum:
http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote