Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Well, last spring when we started to wake up our Zinger here in Massachusetts for the summer season, I noticed that all 4 tires on the trailer had sidewall cracking and splitting, a few of them were so bad I didn't even want to move the trailer from the yard to the driveway. I called my dealer, Campers Inn, in New Hampshire. We bought the trailer brand new last year at the 2009 Camping Show in Springfield Mass. Our dealer directed us to Crossroads, who then redirected us to Duro...the tire manufacturer, who would do the warranty. I was sent some forms...and I found out a lot more about tires than I ever wanted to know.

However, we already had a few trips booked, and we travel with a group and did not want to back out. So as I was working through the problem I took it upon myself to order 4 new tires and rims, from Lebanon Valley Trailer in PA. I had the tires balanced locally when they were delivered and installed them one at a time in my driveway. I upped the size to increase the load rating a bit. I put on Goodyear Marathons, and was lucky that they were all made this year, and in the USA.

So anyway, we camped, had a great time, still have another trip or two left before winter. However, it was always in the back of my mind that I never got satisfaction from Duro. The tires were manufactured in 2006....and were already 6 months out of their 2 year warranty when I bought my trailer, so I was out of luck as far as they were concerned.

A few weeks ago I decided to see what I could do...I ended up again talking to someone named Janet at Crossroads and explained my story. Today UPS dropped off 5 brand new TowMax tires to replace the originals and also the spare tire, at no cost to me! (of course, I paid about $600 last spring for tires and rims, but that was my choice). These TowMax are sold locally, and my local tire guy stands by them, however, I think I will stick with my Goodyears for the time being while I decide what to do with these....plus the 4 original rims and Duros in the shed.

However, a big thank you to Crossroads for excellent customer service!

Things I learned......
Always check tire pressure...at the start and also when you hook up to come home.
Never exceed 65 MPH.
When you stop for a break or lunch or gas, check the tires again...feel them for excessive heat.

Remember that you are out there to relax, be courteous and polite and work nicely with others, and things are more likely to go your way!

So now we're just about at the end of our 2nd year in our Zinger, it looks like most of our "tweeking" is done as far as upgrades and modifications, and it is nice to take home with us where ever we go!

Dave & Cher in Mass
2008 Crossroads Zinger 25RK
2005 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 V8
Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch
Progidy Brake Controller

and Charlie the Wonder Dog

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
de4nier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

We've had so much trouble with ToxMax tires that we replaced all of them with Goodyear's.

Anyway, just a quick comment about tire heat -- I discovered that tires can get really hot, I mean really hot just prior to them failing so now I carry with me one of those non-contact Infrared Thermometers ($25 at Harbor Freight) and check the tires at every rest stop. If all 4 are within a few degrees of each other I can assume nothing bad or unusual is going on with our trailer tires.

On a trip a while back our friend Al was following us to a campsite and when we stopped for fuel I checked his tires and I'll be DAMN he had a tire that was way hotter than the others 3 so off to the tire shop we went and sure enough that hot - hot tire was getting ready to fail!! The heat sensor read about 50-degs wamer than the other 3 tires.

I'm now considering spending the money on a remote tire sensor set up for the 5th wheel for peace of mind.

Good luck!
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Crap...right after I said I was all done "tweeking"! The infrared thermometer would be a great thing to have.

I am going to my local Town Fair tire today, getting one more GY Marathon in my "new" size (ST215/75R14) to replace the worst split Duro to use as my spare so all tires match, then I have a buddy with a landscape business who is interested in purchasing all new tires for his trailer and he is happy with TowMax, changes them out every 3 years and is about due. He thinks he'll take the rims and all (with the Duros on them) and then he'll be happy, and depending on what $$ we agree to I'll be happy too.

and Charlie the Wonder Dog

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
de4nier is offline   Reply With Quote