Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

To warranty or not to warranty

Generally speaking, I don't like warrantees. They make money for the companies and only help a small % of owners who get the product built on friday payday.... (but they are great if you get that camper!)

But, for a $20k investment, a 10% warranty cost which extends coverage to 7 years total seems like a fair investment.

So for the CrossRoads/Zinger owners, how many have issues that occur from years 2-7? I hear nightmare stories about the sides/tops separating, or issues with slides. I am not terribly worried about water damage on Colorado, but certainly busted water lines could cause water issues.

7 years overage for something banging down the road on less than optimal suspension seems like a decent plan. That is 7 years for any certified repair shop, doesn't have to be a dealer.

Thoughts? who has one and feels like it was a waste vs how many people had or wish they had? What issues are people seeing and what is the cost to fix?
AbbaZabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

First off , it hurts my feelings that you got a Rezerve 31BH for 20 grand. But, good job.

I paid 24 grand for my 250RB and I went ahead and got the extended warranty since I had to finance it. The monthly cost was negligible. I only got a year of warranty and I was worried about the ac or the fridge, and I was planning on keeping it for a long time.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Well, I guess it makes me happy you have hurt feelings? We are getting a last year's model, and I am driving 2400 miles total to get it, so..... its not apples to apples It would have been closer to 27-28k if I had decided to stay local in Colorado/Utah area.

The sale price was $22.3, so a little over $20k, but close. I was rounding down for sake of simple math.

We are financing as well so are looking at it the same way (or just using the $ I was above water on my popup sale).
AbbaZabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Well, I guess it makes me happy you have hurt feelings? We are getting a last year's model, and I am driving 2400 miles total to get it, so..... its not apples to apples It would have been closer to 27-28k if I had decided to stay local in Colorado/Utah area.

The sale price was $22.3, so a little over $20k, but close. I was rounding down for sake of simple math.

We are financing as well so are looking at it the same way (or just using the $ I was above water on my popup sale).
Thanks, I feel better now.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Team

In my personal opinion, I truly believe in the extended warrant Way too many electric and electronic items to malfunction. A little costly, maybe, but the piece of mind is worth it to me.
But remember, no warranty I know of will cover the water damage from a leaking rv. They feel that a leaking rv, unless it related to damage from the slides or something, shows that the owner has not done proper maintenance on his rv.
Good luck with ever choice you choose.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Only one time did I insist on an extended warranty and that was when I retired at age 55 and didn't want a bad event to destroy a very tight budget. Otherwise, there are the obvious questions. Does the warranty company have a good reputation and what is/is not covered? Also, there are many things that go wrong with an RV just due to the abuse it gets on our highways and these things won't be covered under warranty. Finally, if a warranty item fails, will it be easier to repair it yourself or give it to the dealer for X days? Also depends on how much you use the RV. We have been in ours all but 3 days this year and when the water pump failed on a Friday, it was easier to jump in the truck Sat. morning and go buy a new pump than find a place for two adults and 3 dogs to live while the RV sat at a dealer's lot.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Apparently some of you guys haven't read this part of the forum rules.

Dealer Pricing | Vendor and Customer Disputes: Do not make posts about new coach pricing at various dealerships. These are private transactions between you and that dealer. This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales. Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community.

Thanks for understanding.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I have found that the Good Sam extended service plan is a lot less expensive than the dealer offered extended warranties, and they seem to have a larger service network too.

You may want to get a quote from them and compare the two plans before buying an extended warranty.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Extended Warranty left us bitter!

We purchased a warranty with the first Crossroads Cruiser 5th Wheel that we purchased. Seeing as this was a used RV and we knew nothing of RV’s or RVing an extended warranty seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately each time we returned to the dealership with a problem it was always the same reply; “that is as a pre-existing condition and not covered”. At one point the repair technician left me under my RV and let me know that if the fresh water tank were leaking when he returned that then it’s replacement would be covered as road hazard damage; no matter that the mounting bracket was defective and the tank was about to fall out. I towed the Cruiser back home and fixed it myself. This RV also ate tires at an alarming rate but this also got the same reply; “that is as a pre-existing condition and not covered”.
We were very frustrated and we dumped the RV at a loss. We requested a refund from the dealership on the unused warranty. For months we waited; we called and received no reply. After 5 months we finally called the warranty folks directly only to learn that the dealership had received our check months earlier and never refunded us. We were promptly issued a check directly from the warranty company. As you can imagine we now have no use for extended warranty companies or for that particular RV dealership.

We found our new CF31RE Cruiser at an RV Show and our new dealership is great. The factory warranty worked well, as problems we had with the new RV were repaired by the dealership at no cost to us. In fact when we found the Pin Box to be defective the dealership sent the technician to our home for the repairs (We had removed the pin box and helped with its replacement).
We no longer have a warranty partly because we performing most repairs ourselves and feel we can do a better job in most cases. An example would be our replacement of the drawer guides with heavy duty units that are now properly adjusted and all faucets now have shut-off valves.
If we have a major problem at this point we know the ________ dealership in ______ is reputable.
It’s a tough decision.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
I have found that the Good Sam extended service plan is a lot less expensive than the dealer offered extended warranties, and they seem to have a larger service network too.

You may want to get a quote from them and compare the two plans before buying an extended warranty.
Good Sam's has a Canadian branch, we cant access the extended service with out an American address. I just got off the phone with a Rep. Now this is what she told me, and when you go on line, you need a Zip code. It won't accept a postal code.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

you are going to get a lot of opinions with these type of questions, so I will give you mine.
Extended warranties are a huge money maker for the dealer and very rarely benefit the person buying them. All the products in your RV are made by a number of separate companies and many of them have there own warranties that are more than the one year the trailer manufacture offers. If something in your trailer breaks, you can contact the manufacture of that specific item and often get a warranty replacement direct. As previously mentioned warranties to include extended warranties will not cover anything that is related to a maintenance issue. if your roof leaks because it was not inspected and resealed periodically it would not be covered. a lot of things can be blamed on inadequate maintenance and not manufacture defect. Save your money and only use it to replace something if it breaks, instead of giving it to someone just in case something breaks.

just my 2Cents

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
For the record I was quoted one price and was able to get almost 1k below that price. So try to negotiate the price.

I am happy I have it, peace of mind, going the long haul, I simply don't have time to deal with the major things.

That being said I have done a few of the small things on ours to keep from taking it in to the dealer.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
you are going to get a lot of opinions with these type of questions, so I will give you mine.
Extended warranties are a huge money maker for the dealer and very rarely benefit the person buying them. All the products in your RV are made by a number of separate companies and many of them have there own warranties that are more than the one year the trailer manufacture offers. If something in your trailer breaks, you can contact the manufacture of that specific item and often get a warranty replacement direct. As previously mentioned warranties to include extended warranties will not cover anything that is related to a maintenance issue. if your roof leaks because it was not inspected and resealed periodically it would not be covered. a lot of things can be blamed on inadequate maintenance and not manufacture defect. Save your money and only use it to replace something if it breaks, instead of giving it to someone just in case something breaks.

just my 2Cents
I think this is very good advice. Each person has to make a decision which is best for them.

I recently signed for a new Cruiser and was offered an extended warranty along with other included services from a very well known RV club. The more it was pushed on me, the more I realized that it was a money maker. I didn't like that they waited until I was signing to present the option to me because it gave me no time to do any research. In one moment I'm being told that most people are upside down in their RV loans, the next I'm being told for only $XXX added to your monthly payment.... I figured that I had 2 years on the unit and as mentioned each component usually has it's own warranty. Then I figured that for the cost of the extended warranty if I had paid cash that day, there wasn't anything that I couldn't pay to replace or would not have been covered by insurance. My RV is also going to be parked for at least two years before possibly hitting the road. I may never take it traveling so road conditions did not factor into my decision.

In my last RV my furnace would not start. I did all the basic trouble shooting. I found an authorized repair center less than an hour near me. I pulled the furnace out of the RV, (fortunately I'm somewhat capable of these things), and took it to the repair center which was a small RV dealer. They replaced a circuit board, submitted the claim and never charged me a penny. I even offered to pay for the repair and board so the guy wouldn't have to wait for the claim and he told me he would bill me if the claim was denied. It was at the end of 2 years, just before the warranty ran out.

Again, each person has to make their own decisions. I pain $60 for a two year extended warranty on my $2,000 refrigerator, but not thousands for a grouping of individual components that may or may not be covered.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

As others have stated what makes you sleep better at night is the right choice for you.

That being said, besides weighing any warranty repair against the actual cost of the extended warranty (ie are you going to have $2000 worth of repairs during the extended warranty period, that isn't covered by the component manufacture?). You can fix a lot of stuff for $2k

Second, stepping back to widen the view, when you take into account ALL of the items you own that can break down, you are basically self insured. Meaning DON'T buy the car warranty, fridge warranty, TV or any other warranty.

Will things break? OF COURSE! Will everything break the min it's out of a factory warranty but before the end of the extended warranty? Not a chance.

Heed the advice of others who have trouble collecting on these "extended" warranties.

Every time you are offered one of these warranties, for anything, don't buy it, but scribble down the amount it would of cost you and stick it in a jar in your kitchen. When you do have to pay to repair something compare it against all the money you saved by not buying the warranty in the first place.
n9740b is offline   Reply With Quote