Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
New Camper

Im currently looking at the SunsetTrail Reserve 31BHS. I was curious of those that may own one that if I have enough vehicle to tow it.

I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. Im rate I think...from what I find on internt for 7900.

What are your thoughts on this. Is this pushing it or I should be fine? I will load the trailer with just regular items. Some dishes, clothes, launge chairs,, etc.

Your input would be most appreciated.

Jack
trkins33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Looks like you will be over on your hitch weight right from the start. Usually the hitch weight is 10% of the hitches capacity. So you wouldnt want to go over a 790# hitch weight. The 31BHS has a starting hitch weight of 888#, and that will go up as you load the trailer.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
New Camper

Does the equalizer hitch help transfer some of this weight? Just asking im new to all of this stuff.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

No it doesnt transfer the hitch weight. It only equalizes the load so that your truck doesnt sag in the back end. It will transfer some of the load to the front tires and trailer axles, but the htich weight will remain the same pretty much.

That trailer willwill definitely overload the htich weight of your tow vehicle.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

is'nt that number more like 10-15 %? i towed my current trailer with my wifes 2003 1500seriessuburban prior to buying the truck i have now. my trailer is about 8000lbs loaded. i have a reese dual cam hitch and i installed timberens in the rear suspension. towed like that for two season....no problems. of coarse i was'nt winning any races, but i'm not in a hurry anyway. timberens are larger bumpstops that install in place of your original bumpstops over your rear diff. find out what all your weights are, both trailer and your truck rating for sure before you make a decision. good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

The recommended amount of trailer tongue wieght is 10-15%.

That is different from what his weight rating for his hitch is. The OP was asking if his truck could handle the weight of the trailer in question, not asking what the reccommended tongue weight is for a trailer.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I don't know about the hitch weight but I would have another concern. Prior to the 5er I had a 25' BP which grossed about 6000, around 650hitch weight. My wife's Expedition which is about the same size vehicle as yours had it's hands full. It wasn't the weight so much as the short wheelbase of the towing vehicle in relation to the overall weight. The trailer could move it all over the road and that's with the anti-sway bar as tight as I could get it. I forgot to tighten it one time and it didn't take but about 5 miles to realize that mistake, about the time I met the first big rig. I had a GMC 1500 PU that I usually towed it with and it had no problems, longer wheelbase. After a couple of trips the Expedition never saw it again. Too short and top heavy.

Myself I wouldn't even consider that size trailer with a short wheelbase. YMMV
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I dont have any problems with sway with mine, but that maybe because I setup my hitch perfectly to the rig.

I used to drive a semi for a living and sway is just a fact of life when doing that for a living, so I may just be used to it.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
I don't know about the hitch weight but I would have another concern. Prior to the 5er I had a 25' BP which grossed about 6000, around 650hitch weight. My wife's Expedition which is about the same size vehicle as yours had it's hands full. It wasn't the weight so much as the short wheelbase of the towing vehicle in relation to the overall weight. The trailer could move it all over the road and that's with the anti-sway bar as tight as I could get it. I forgot to tighten it one time and it didn't take but about 5 miles to realize that mistake, about the time I met the first big rig. I had a GMC 1500 PU that I usually towed it with and it had no problems, longer wheelbase. After a couple of trips the Expedition never saw it again. Too short and top heavy.

Myself I wouldn't even consider that size trailer with a short wheelbase. YMMV

but he has a yukon xl. not a short wheelbase truck at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561

That is different from what his weight rating for his hitch is. The OP was asking if his truck could handle the weight of the trailer in question, not asking what the reccommended tongue weight is for a trailer.

whats his hitch rated for? put on a w/d set up and hes fine. you can even pitch the ball back and it will transfer weight to the front of the vehicle. i had absoulutly no problems towing my zinger with the same suv. (suburban and yukon xl are the same truck/chevy-gmc)

Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
No it doesnt transfer the hitch weight. It only equalizes the load so that your truck doesnt sag in the back end. It will transfer some of the load to the front tires and trailer axles, but the htich weight will remain the same pretty much.

That trailer willwill definitely overload the htich weight of your tow vehicle.

this is right from reese's website.

The purpose of a weight distribution hitch is to remove excessive weight from the tow vehicle's rear axle and distribute it to the front wheels and throughout the trailer frame.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

heres a good link for the OP

http://www.reese-hitches.com/learning_center/weight-distribution-faq

Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

A couple of things to consider, from my limited experience.

The actual towing capacity of your vehicle may not be what is posted on "The Internet". Often you will find numbers that assume that you have all of the options required to get to that capacity.

For example, the 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 can tow 10500 pounds, but you need the optional 6 speed transmission, heavy duty cooling package, and special order differential gears. If you just have the "heavy duty trailering package" without all the other stuff, you max out at 5500 pounds. Of course it's probably different for the Yukon.

Also, you need to remember that the towing capacity is diminished by the weight of all the options installed in your vehicle. So, the A/C, 4WD transfer case, bed liner, etc. all have to be counted against the towing capacity. Also include what I call "butt weight", or all of the people that you haul around; their purses, knick knacks and backpacks all counting against that towing capacity as well.

Plus you have to add all the gear you put in the trailer. And another 75 pounds for the hitch.

A 7000 pound trailer could be more like 9000 once you add in the campers, firewood, water, cans of chili beans and the fridge full of diet pepsi you haul around to your camping destination.

Maybe you should hook one up for a test tow and see how you like it. And if you decide you're okay with it, have fun!

<strike>2004 Dodge Durango</strike>

2009 GMC Sierra 1500

2012 Slingshot GT29BH
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinella
Quote:

whats his hitch rated for? put on a w/d set up and hes fine. you can even pitch the ball back and it will transfer weight to the front of the vehicle. i had absoulutly no problems towing my zinger with the same suv. (suburban and yukon xl are the same truck/chevy-gmc)

But a weight distributing hitch does notlower the tongue weight of the trailer. The weight on that TT is 888# that is over right out of the gate with nothing even loaded in the trailer. (most trailer hitches are rated at tongueweight being 10% of the total towing capacity of the hitch, so if the hitches max towing wieght is 7900# then the max tongue weight thathitch can handleis 790#)

Now, and God forbid it happens, he gets the trailer, hooks up to it, isnt doing anything wrong but gets into and accident and hurts someone. What do you think the outcome of that will be? He is, in the first place, way over weight on his tongue weight. The weight master and even a crappy lawyer will tear him to pieces in court over that one.

Trust me, driving a semi all my life, you get to know that weighs matter a whole lot more than you think. Just because someone down the road says they can tow it doesnt mean they should do it also.

Also being that the OPer is new at RVing, it maybe in his best interest to reccommend not being over weight on his first set up. It makes for a very bad scenario if things go wrong.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
New Camper

I agree with all the posts. Im going to be looking at different options as well. The information has been great. Im going to climb under my car tomorrow and peek at the hitch to see if I can read its tounge rating. Also get the ratings off the vehicle door. I will post em then to see if i anything changes. The RV dealership feels Im safe due to my travel distance is under 3 hours and flat roads. BUT I insure Semi trucks so I can totally agree about weight and Fixits Posts about weight. Its not the ride is all about the stopping in time. I will post tomorrow guys.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

trkins,

Also check your owners manual. Mine does have the weight ratings that the truck is able to tow safely. My max tow rating is 8300# with a tongue weight of 830# that is with a weight distributing hitch setup.

Im closeto my limit with my weights running 7500# loaded in the trailer with a tongue weight of around 800#. I dont win any races but I am within the trucks tow limits.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I would never recommend someone to pull a trailer that his/her truck was rates to do so. The link I posted should help with understanding what a w/d set up will do for him. Best thing to do if possible is take the truck and trailer to a scale and see what all the weights are. Truck/tounge/trailer/axle maybe the dealer can point you in the direction of a scale close to him. Good luck and post back.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I have a fried who pulls a 34 foot TT with a Suburban and says it does fine. Personally, I prefer the tow vehicle to be overkill but that's just me.

Check with your trailer dealer they should be able to give you some direction as well.

-Michael-
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote