Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We purchased a 2005 Cruiser CF27RL. We looked this rig over from every angle and had some or our RV buddies check it out as well. It is about as perfect as a used unit can be. We are looking for any advice we can get about using this unit. We are new to the
RV business so any advice or concerns we need to address would be great.

THanks,

Mike

East Hampton NY
Mike and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Mike and Linda:

Congrats on the new (to you) Cruiser CF27RL. I have the same model (2010 CF27RLX) and cannot wait for the weather to warm up to use it. I think you made a quality choice of 5th wheel. My advice is to enjoy it!

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Mike and Linda..Congrats on the new RV and welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give is to throw some clothes in the RV and go camping. Have a friend go with you that has experience with trailers (5th Wheel preferred) and listen to what he has to say. Let them go over every system as you operate it and HAVE FUN. After a couple of trips you will be experts!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I don't know how comfortable you are with towing and backing up so if you have a parking lot close by you may want to practice that. Leave a lot more room between you and the car in front of you.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Hi and welcome to the forum, you picked the best forum around.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We bought a 2003 CF27RL new. Loved it. Pulled very well with a 2500 Chevy.

The best thing we did was add a counter extension made with a sink cutout from a cabinet store and a telescoping table leg from the RV store. It ended up about 18" wide x 30" long. Attached with brackets to the counter sticking out above the drawers on the right side of the sink. It came off and stored under the bed.

DW wanted more counter space and a large front closet so we sold the 27 to a long time friend and bought a 2010 CF30SK Patriot.

Waiting for warmer weather.

Enjoy.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Mike,

I recently traded up from our '04 27RL. When you get a chance remove the screws that hold the frame for the skylight in the shower and lower it. Inspect the area around the wooden frame for any evidence of water leaking in from the skylight. I had to replace my skylightand when all the rubber sealent was removed (using a hairdryer) from the outside, I found that only every other screw hole was used and the screws that had been installed were overtorqued cracking the edges. Essentially only the sealant was holding the skylight in place. Apart from that we had many years of enjoyment. Now we have a new 32BL with bunks for the grandkids. Havefun.

Jack
finder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Sounds like a good Mod to me. We are in the blizzard of 2010 out here on Long Island so as soon as we can slog our way to the shop where the rig is stored we'll take a look at that top addition. It's pretty tight in the 27 so that amount of additional space must seem huge.

Mike

East Hampton NY
Mike and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Retiree
Mike and Linda:

Congrats on the new (to you) Cruiser CF27RL. I have the same model (2010 CF27RLX) and cannot wait for the weather to warm up to use it.

NC Retiree,

What's the weather generally like down there around the end of March? I know that nothing's guaranteed in that department, but give it a shot.

Our son is being transferred from Bliss to Bragg at the end of this month, so we'd like to visit sometime around the end of March. We know that if the weather forcast looks good, we'll take the 5er, if not, we'll just drive down and get a room.

Thanks.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Lynn & Louie:

I feel comfortable in forecasting warmer weather than western NY. Seriously, the end of March is in that transitional period meaning it can be real pleasant or pretty uncomfortable. I guess it depends on what you are accustomed and what you will be doing. If I were you, I would check out and see if Fort Bragg has an Army Famcamp to stay at while visiting your son (if allowed).

I know that I will be out camping by then as I will be out doing some scouting for spring Turkey season.

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Welcome! and congrats on the 27rl, we came very close to buying an 07 model till we ran across the 30sk...Im sure you will be happy with your choice and will enjoy camping when the weather finally clears...enjoy!

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

There is a campground at Ft. Bragg, but rather hard to get to the campground, [bad RR track crossing]so never stayed there.

Fayetteville/Wade KOA is off exit 61 , rte 95...stay there for a night and check out "Smith Lake Army RV Park" at Ft. Bragg.

According to "US Military campgrounds and Rv Parks" [online listing of military campgrounds], the reviews are not good, but new manager is working on improvements.

seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
Bob
Weekend Camper

I am picking up our 2010 27RL on Sat. I had been trying to buy a 08 28RL but the deal fell through so decided to bite the bullet and go with a new one. Have any of you had any experience with either a standard hitch or sliding...I am towing with a 08 Titian crew cab. Any info about the rig or towing would be helpful.....this is our first 5th wheel
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Mike and Linda:
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new rig.A couple of things to look at before you start a trip like this.Repack your bearings if you don't know when it was done.Check your Air conditioner to make sure it is tight,(I speak from experience it was not fun tightening it up in the rain storm at a rest stop)Clean and sanitize your water tank even if you are using campgrounds it is always nice to have some potable water on board weather permitting.Last but not least get ready for a great time.Again welcome
Eric and Deanna

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Welcome to the forum. You will love the 30sk. Have a great time camping!

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote