Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question What to expect with delivery process

We are finally scheduled to take delivery from the dealer of our new ST290QB on Friday. What should we expect with the delivery process?
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You should expect what we call a PDI (pre-delivery inspection). Most reputable dealerships will have the unit set up in a delivery bay with all slides out and all equipment on the unit either turned on or ready to be checked out and demonstrated. If this is your first camper, make sure you ask them to demonstrate how EVERYTHING works, more than once if necessary. Bring someone along to video the PDI for you so you will be able to refer to it if necessary. Don't forget to have them show you how to do those pesky little details like winterizing and dewinterizing, as they are important. Check very closely for any defects in workmanship that need to be corrected. Look closely for leaks. Ensure all lights and faucets work correctly. Have them hook up the black tank flush if so equipped and check for leaks. Somewhere on here is a PDI checklist. Do a search for it, or Google 'PDI checklist', print you off a copy and take with you. Don't let the dealer rush you. Take what time you need, as this is very important. It's your opportunity to not only learn how your new camper works, but also to catch and correct issues before you leave with it. One other thing I would recommend strongly is that you go up on the roof and check every seam to be sure it is sealed and that there are no cracks or gaps in the sealant.

Good luck and enjoy your new rig!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
You should expect what we call a PDI (pre-delivery inspection). Most reputable dealerships will have the unit set up in a delivery bay with all slides out and all equipment on the unit either turned on or ready to be checked out and demonstrated. If this is your first camper, make sure you ask them to demonstrate how EVERYTHING works, more than once if necessary. Bring someone along to video the PDI for you so you will be able to refer to it if necessary. Don't forget to have them show you how to do those pesky little details like winterizing and dewinterizing, as they are important. Check very closely for any defects in workmanship that need to be corrected. Look closely for leaks. Ensure all lights and faucets work correctly. Have them hook up the black tank flush if so equipped and check for leaks. Somewhere on here is a PDI checklist. Do a search for it, or Google 'PDI checklist', print you off a copy and take with you. Don't let the dealer rush you. Take what time you need, as this is very important. It's your opportunity to not only learn how your new camper works, but also to catch and correct issues before you leave with it. One other thing I would recommend strongly is that you go up on the roof and check every seam to be sure it is sealed and that there are no cracks or gaps in the sealant.

Good luck and enjoy your new rig!
This. If it turns on or off, opens or closes etc, you want it demonstrated and you return the demo. Definitely videotape this. Even have them demonstrate hooking up and unhooking the trailer. If you have any little kids, leave them home or bring something to keep them busy while you learn. Do not hand over any money until the pdi is completed and repairs are all done to your Satisfaction.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mike and Anaro! The video is a great idea as it sounds like there are a lot of details.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We referred back to our video several times, mostly for the winterizing process but for a few other things as well.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mike has some good advice, especially the video part.

Most people will buy/inspect their purchases based on what they burned on the last time. To this end, I invite others to report on stuff they found inadequate on their units which they may have picked up on the PDI had they checked more closely.

In our case, the bedroom door would not close or latch. The door was too tight on the hinge side and the latch was about half an inch from even reaching the hole for it. Also, the undercarriage cover became detached just under a year after we bought the unit as there was just barely enough fabric to reach. Had we checked under there, we might have seen something was amiss. Maybe, maybe not, but we did not look at the underside.

I also suggest you open and close all the windows, cabinet doors and drawers to see if they function properly. Open and close all the blinds as well. If your shower has a door, check its alignment and make sure it is not crooked as this can shear off the plastic piece at the bottom (happened to us).

There is a video on Youtube about the PDI:

(this is our daughter in the video).

There were some items wrong with our trailer that I probably would not have insisted they fix before delivery as I can do a better job myself. One was the caulking they use to secure the glass doors in some of the cabinets. So far I have replaced the caulking in three of the doors. I have also restrung three of the blinds. We have had the unit just over a year.

I don't think we would have taken delivery of the unit had we found out about the door and undercarriage ahead of time. We would have stayed until these items were corrected.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Mike gave you some excellent advise. Here is a link to the PDI.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/

Print it out and take it with you, maybe even send the dealer a copy so they will know what to expect.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Go slow, and don't allow yourself to be rushed...

It's ok to say "I don't understand, show me again"
In fact, help reinforce the learning by YOU doing it after you are shown...

re videoing the process, suggest two videos from different angles so even if focused on the process, everything will be covered...
Also, start and stop the video periodically - maybe between "systems"? - to make the videos shorter and more manageable..

good luck, and you probably WON'T catch everything, but there's help out on this here internet
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Great suggestions! Thanks for sharing. I now feel much better prepared for what I'm sure will be an exciting day.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

One more thing, make them fix it now before you give them payment. Oh made the mistake of hearing, the previous pdi ran a little behind so why don't we do the payment paperwork now. We said ok thinking time clock with a 3 1/2 yr old. Big mistake. Then when we did the pdi, they didn't want to review some things. There were a few things wrong and at that point, they said just bring it back for warranty work. See the deal here is, they get paid from the factory for warranty work. Had we not paid, we could have said, you aren't getting paid until this is fixed. The tt next yo us did that and had the techs hopping.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS