Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: When is the best time to purchase a trailer
Before the Camping Season with months before 1st use 7 31.82%
Early in the Camping Season with days before 1st use 1 4.55%
Middle of the Camping Season with several trips left 0 0%
End of the Camping Season with only a few trips left 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Just curious what people think is the best time to purchase a new RV. Taking into consideration the 2 year warranty , seasonal usage, repair time, etc.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

There is no "camping season" in the south, so best time to buy is anytime you find the right unit. Best time to make a good deal with quick delivery is when "camping season" is closed for everyone else.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Here in Ontario Canada, RV shows are held in Jan, Feb & Mar. So in order to take advantage of the discounts offered at the shows, this is the best time to buy. Delivery is usually in Mar or Apr and camping season starts in May. Since the warranty period doesn't begin until after the PDI, it is not affected by buying before the camping season begins.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I talked to an RV salesperson who is newer to RV sales but a long time customer of mine. He confirmed what I have always believed. There is no best time to buy.

RV show prices, mid season sales incentives like free gas and free camping, end of season blow outs. The RV dealer is able sell these units at any time at the best price. No factory promotions or special incentives or cut rate financing like auto sales. Sure, you still have to negotiate the deal, but it can be done any time.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I voted before the camping season on the premise of getting to use the rv for the whole 4 months or so (we are in Ontario Canada) however that is only part of the story.

after the seasonis a great time to buy for pricingand right now the pricing is great, thus we are going to downsize but upgrade to a new Cruiser.

So perhaps another category which is in the middle after the season but before the season...lol which is now !

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
I talked to an RV salesperson who is newer to RV sales but a long time customer of mine. He confirmed what I have always believed. There is no best time to buy.

RV show prices, mid season sales incentives like free gas and free camping, end of season blow outs. The RV dealer is able sell these units at any time at the best price. No factory promotions or special incentives or cut rate financing like auto sales. Sure, you still have to negotiate the deal, but it can be done any time.

Al,

My input is quite the opposite. When I was shopping, one dealer stated that the factory offered the Patriot package free to the dealer if he committed to purchase 'x' units during a certain time frame. Unfortunately at the time I couldn't use the Patriot package (long story). Also, I have a copy of my actual factory order form and one line item is "Fall, 2010 promo". So there are factory to dealer incentives. This is just my judgement, but dealer discounts from the factory are based on dealer volume, higher volume dealers earn higher discounts, but I believe there are just a few discount levels. What I experienced is that a high volume dealer near the factory has no discount or price advantage over a high volume dealer many miles from the factory, excluding transportation costs.

However, since buyers have no way to know when a factory promo or special incentive is in effect or coming up, there is no ez way to pick the best buying time except off-season is more likely to have factory incentives.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I haven't heard of factory incentives in the RV industry before. New news to me Dayle However, I have been aware of volume discounts. My understanding is that the volume discount works much like the auto industry with a check to the dealership at the end of the year based on the level reached.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We got good deals on the last two 5ers buying them in December when the retailers need to clear the inventory before the new year.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Up here in Ontarioafter the summer season and before the next season is a good time to buy as dealers are morewilling to take less for the inventory they have on the lot whether it be used or new.

Withused it is a much better time to buy, with the new ones now seems to be a better time as the new models will be rolling out in the spring andthey are more willing to drop theprice a little on an instock unitas an incentiveto sell it. The customer otherwise might as well wait for the new model year.

I would assume the same might be said for units sitting at the manufacturer that have yet to be sold to the dealer and therefore they may offer up dealer incentive pricing to move them similar to car manufacturers who put sales on around this time or offer great financing rates...

For myselfI think the RV industry is missing an opportunity to have turnover by not getting into the lower financing rate game that the auto industry has.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Bought first TT in the end of May to use all seson. Next TT bought in Nov just weeks after storing the first unit for 5 months. The Cruiser was bought in March to be able to use all seson. The second one was a next year model ('99 bought in '98) not really clearing out old stock.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
New Camper

It's like a poker game when you want to get the best offerings! I personally think that off-season is the best time to buy a new RV, of course... when there is no end of a season then it could be a problem. Beginning of the year- january, february- seem to be the best months in my opinion.

madisins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

The end of the season (especially in the states that actually have winter) when the dealership is faced with keeping a lot full of unsold trailerssitting there costing them money.

Don't behesistant to expand your search tobordering states. We bought our Crossroads Cruiserthrough Camping World from adealership in the next state.It wasa prior year

model that had not sold and they marked in down 1/3 off MSRP.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote