Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to BarbinLA
I am in the market for a new camper and happened across the Zinger 27RL. I've not had any experience with the Crosswinds, (I've just sold a Fleetwood Niagara popup and before that a Puma) but will be pulling it with a Chevy Silverado 1500. My typical camping trip is 200-300 miles round trip. I've seen some of the new 2014 models with the fiberglass nose, while others are all metal. Any advice you can pass on to a newbie? Which is preferred? Would you buy your Zinger again? Customer service/warranty good? Any things I should avoid? ANY assistance/responses would be appreciated. This is a big decision for an old school teacher!
BarbinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have had our zinger for 2 yrs and over all it has been a good trailer, despite us trying to destroy it with newbie mistakes. I have had a few things repaired under warranty, some under first year warranty and some under second yr warranty. There is no longer a second yr warranty unless you find a 2012 leftover that was built before 9/1/12.

Now the zinger is not a light trailer and I do worry about it being too heavy for your 1500. I ended up having totrade my half ton SUV for a 3/4 ton pickup to tow it. I went diesel but that wasn't necessary. The tt you are looking at has a dry weight of 6500 lbs and a gvwr of 7800 lbs. With this narrow of a cargo capacity you will likely be at or close to tt gvwr when fully loaded. The loaded tongue weight will be 13-15% of the loaded tt weight. This means a tongue weight of around 1000-1100 lbs. What are your trucks capacities for weight. Remember the stated capacities in a brochure or online are not accurate because the weights are affected by every option, passengers, pets and gear placed in or on vehicle. The sticker in the door jam will adjust the payload for options but not gear and passengers. By far the best thing to do is to go load your truck up as you would when towing with all gear, passengers and pets plus a full tank of fuel and weigh it. Take the scaled weight and subtract it from the tv gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity (loaded tt weight should be less than this). Take the scaled weight and subtract it from the tv gvwr to get your available payload (tongue weight must be less than this). Finally check your hitch receiver ratings for its capabilities. For that size trailer you will want a very good wdh with integrated sway control like Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer, or possibly propride or Hensley arrow. Best of luck to you. Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I was at our local race track last weekend and saw 2 brand new Zingers. I seem to be seeing more and more of these campers around. I talked to one of the guys with the Zinger and it was his first weekend out with her, but he said he really liked it and no problems yet. He had a bunkhouse with outside kitchen and it was huge for a TT. I think he said it was 36ft. I didn't realize they made bumper tows that long. He said it weighed around 9000lbs.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your decision.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
New Camper

We have had our Zinger since May 2009. The floor is starting to rot around a door due to the manufacturer not sealing it properly. Called Crossroads and they were no help. Transferred to Customer Service and phone went dead. We now have to fix the problem they caused. No more dealing with Crossroads for us.
sugarmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We have a 2012 Zinger 27RL we like a lot! You should have no trouble towing with Chevy 1500 I tow with F150 Ford I have no trouble in central PA. My dealer is really good about any and all repair.
TruckerTerry is offline   Reply With Quote