CrossRoads RV Family Forum

CrossRoads RV Family Forum (http://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/)
-   General RV Questions (http://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Tire pressure question. (http://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/f25/tire-pressure-question-13914.html)

Aceallenk 05-31-2018 12:10 PM

Tire pressure question.

What do you think the tire pressure should be run at for the 205/75R14 GoodYear Endurance. The recommended 65psi for 2040 max weight, even though these tire will only be carrying 1350lb each or maybe just reduce down a tad to say 60psi. I'll also ask at the tire shop tomorrow when they install them. Sometime a second opinion is very reassuring as I check the air pressure when I get them home with my own gauge. lol not that I don't trust there gauge but have to live by mine.

travelin texans 05-31-2018 01:27 PM

Some will adamantly disagree, but if it says 65 psi I'd run 65 possibly 60 psi. Less pressure builds heat, cause sidewalls to flex more while turning & uneven wear. Have you had the rv weighed & sure they only carry 1350 lbs if so maybe 60 psi. It your tire dealer is like most, every tire they mount they inflate to 32 psi unless otherwise instructed.

Steve7 05-31-2018 03:31 PM

I run max pressure on sidewall.

Aceallenk 05-31-2018 03:59 PM

Got ya, and see your point. I agree with the run max pressure and 65psi it is. I'll be taking my gauge to town to compare pressure rather than run brand new tires all the way home half inflated. I have no problem if someone is a tap tilted because I carry my own pressure gauge. He better get use to it cause I'll also be torquing my own lug nuts so if there ever is a problem in a year down the road so that I can break the nuts free after he's done with his impact wrench.

Papa-T 05-31-2018 07:23 PM

I agree to 65 PSI

stormseeker 06-01-2018 06:30 AM

Always full pressure. A few psi will not make much, if any, difference in the ride dampening and why not use all of the tire you just bought.

Kingfish58 06-01-2018 08:35 AM

I run my D tires with 65 lb max at 60. Makes the ride a bit less harsh, but it could be my imagination. I also do the same with my truck tires. When I'm towing, I go max pressure. When there is no load, I lower the pressure 5 pounds or so.

rcflyer 06-01-2018 11:19 AM

I would also recommend a TPMS system. My system has saved the destruction of several tires and possibly major damage to the trailer.

I run my trailer tires at sidewall max pressure regardless of actual weight on the tires.

johnboytoo 06-01-2018 02:40 PM

Since you are not in the 5'er while going down the road, I agree with close to max pressure on sidewall... mostly !

BUT :) there's maybe a consideration about dropping it 5 or 10 lbs if the load inflation tables still say it can carry the weight...

When you run your car, truck, motorhome at max pressure, you can certainly tell how much SHOCK is transmitted to the interior if at max psi - could this contribute to actual damage of the rv if it is SLAMMING over every bump and leaving the ground like our 5;er did a couple of times ?!? :)
an when backing into a site, how much strain is put on a sidewall if at max psi when it's being twisted into a site ?

just food for thought - have a good wkend !

Kamper Dave 06-01-2018 10:45 PM

tire pressure and gauge

Tire Pressure:
The RV stays at the MAX always.
The truck while towing: the rear truck tires are at the max while the front tires are less.
The truck when not towing: We use a load to pressure chart from the tire manufacture to determine the proper pressure.

Tire Pressure Gauge:
We use the Tire Minder pressure and temperature monitoring system but I used to own 5 gauges and none of them matched the Tire Minder or each other. So when the folks at Tire Minder called with an offer on their new model A1A that included a free high quality digital gauge I was all for it.
They also sent me a free set on new batteries, o-rings and a new transmitter to replace the one with a broken solder joint and we are now on their battery replacement agreement.
We now own just 2 gauges.