Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have decided to exchange our 2012Cruiser 305SK for a 2012Rushmore 34SB which we will pickup in 2 weeks.One week later we will behaulingthe new unit for2 days to the sunny states fora couple of weeks of relaxation.

Any advices regarding the new Rushmore? Anything to look for on the first trip?

I have had fifthweels for 11 years so I am looking foradvices specific to the Rushmore.

Thank you.

Great Forum

MMEdited by: North_Bay 34SB

2009 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
North_Bay 34SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

congrats on your Rushmore !we have a cruiser patriot/provincial cf345rf ordered with full paint and loaded.
just waiting for delivery now...

No advice here but have a safe &great trip to the sunny south and enjoy the awesome new trailer.

As your other trailer was 2012 Cruiser why the upgrade ?

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your comments.

We are upgrading to a Rushmore because at the time of purchase of the Cruiser in May 2011, I had just retired and wanted to be on the road for a couple of years. However, 2 weeks after getting the Cruiser, I was convinced to go back to full timeemployment and I needed to use the fifth wheel as a second home for 6 months May-Nov which I inted to continue for the next 3-4 years. We feel the Rushmore will be more appropriate to the six month per year usage.(more room in the bedroom,more light in the living area, washer and dryer hoook ups, etc.)

The Cruiser is a great fifth wheel to haul. I had a Golden Falcon Tour edition for 10 years before the Cruiser and the Cruiser was a lot more fun to haul. The interior of the Cruiser is not as heavy duty as the Golden Falcon and I am not sure it would resist the frost to frost utilisation we are planning.

We saw the cf345rf at the Toronto show in January and we believe the interior is much improved from the one we own. The Rushmore was priced very competitively compared to that model with only a few thousand dollars difference so decided to make the switch.

Will keep you updated on the planned trip.

MM

Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Congrats, don't know if you are familiar with the 'Intelli-Jacks', but I have had issues with mine, didn't get any PDI info inre them, watched the video on the CR site and thought, "I can do that!" Be careful and let the switch do the work, was told to unplug and use the button for manual movement and didn't know about the auto switch and ruined it, screws came loose inside the front storage bin and the drive rod fouled with the motor. Be aware.
Travel Safe...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the heads up. I had the intelli-jacks on the cruiser and it worked fine. the problemof that system is thatthere is no built level to indicate when to stop instead it relies on the one time when you set it. this works when you connect and disconnect at the same spot but any new camgrounds with a different landscape and you have to manually adjust.

They corrected this with the new 6 point level up system.

Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

North_Bay just wondering what is the max payload on your truck?

should be a yellow sticker inside the drivers door with tire pressures and max payloadEdited by: gsxr

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

3/4 ton pickup have very low payload capacity (specially diesel my is 2,250) compared to theirtowing and gcwr. With the Cruiser 305SK I run 15% over payload capacity, 56% of towing capacity and 76% of GCWR using standard E rate tires.With the Rushmore, I will be 40% over payload, 63% of towing and 85% of GCWR. Our MTO reps are checking GCWR. He is advising G tires.

Even with the Rushmore, the truck remains level which is surprising when knowing the payload.

MM

Edited by: North_Bay 34SB

Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Just picked up on Rushmore 34SB last week. Camped this weekend and enjoyed it. We are planning on getting pad to under the cart wheels as they dimple the floor just sitting.
Ddhill34545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We took our Rushmore 38 FL out this weekend too & I hadn't noticed dimpling in the floor, but I will purchase wheel pads anyway. I'm pretty sure it isonlygoing toget heavier with the more stuff my DW puts inside the island. I'm also making some wooden brackets, to keep it from moving around while traveling down the roadway. Seems like some engineer would've figured the cheesy wheel locks, don't hold while going 65 mph.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We have out in SC for the second week now with our new 34SB and have made a list of items the dealer will have to deal with:

1. the fridge stopped working 3 days after we left home. We bought a small fridge at Walmart and have been using it as our main fridge. Camping World has tried to fix it but gave up. They installed a cooling fan at the back but the temperature of the fridge stubornly staid at 60 degrees. they would have required us to leave the unit for a couple of days in order to fix it so we chose to stick with Walmart. interestingly the freezer works fine.
2. the fan above the stove in the microwave is not usable.the fan seems to be rubbing against steel and the noise is unbearable
3. the awning was not completely attached to the outside of the unit leaving 2 inches of material waving in the wind. Camping World people told us that this could easilybe fixed.
4. The vent cover in the bedroom is cracked and will need to be changed. lucky it is under a Maxair.
5. the main burner of the stove will not start with theigniter and requires a lighter

On the positive side we really like the floorplan and it pulls extremely well. we have done1500 miles since we left home and are very happy with thefunctionality of theunit.

What is frustrating is that all the items listed above could have been prevented by a quality review program anywhere either at the dealer or at the manufacturer.

We are still happy we made the switch and are enjoying the great weather of the SC.

MM

Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We would tend to agree with your assessment. We have also had some of the same issues and others too. Crossroads and/or warrentys have taken care of all to our sat. I do not think one can get ANY unit with NO problems or issues, and as you said you have owned 5ers so ... Where in SC are you now? We have a house in Myrtle Beach. In Texas at the moment, looking to go to the North East shortly. Good talking and perhaps we'll meet up somewhere. Will be at the Indiana Rally in July.
Travel Safe...

Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

the people at Camping World told that it did not matterwhich price paid for the rv, all of them had some kind of issues on the first year. By the way, the service people at Camping World told us we had a great unit they had never seen a Rushmore.

We have spent 1 week at Ocean Lakes and we are now at Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We wanted to try both parks so that next time we know which one we like. Our choice is Ocean Lake although Myrtle Beach Travel park is very convenient for golfing.

Perfect weather for golf.

MM

Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Sounds like a great unit - it is an upgrade from the Cruiser and probably a better full timer unit.

If you decide to upgrade your truck - the 2011/2012 Silverado 2500 and 3500HDs have been greatly improved. The 2500 has a GVWR of 10,000lbs and the 3500HD SRW has a GVWR of 11,600 lbs. The reason for my purchase of the 2011 3500HD - I was always exceeding the GVWR of the truck. The exhaust brake is a plus - when I travel I81 through PA the exhaust brake will maintain my speed going down the grades.

We will be heading to Myrtle Beach next month - Myrtle Beach Travel park.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

MM
Glad to hear in spite of your problems that you remain optimistic. I think if more people would take some of the problems with a grain of salt they would lower their blood pressure. I hope that they get you a new refrigerator when you reach your destination...it is the least they should do for you.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Myrtle Beach Travel park is a great location for golf, shopping and shows. We did not get a site (408)that was large enough for our unit and are pretty camped with no room to park the truck. Able to see what neighours are having for breakfast.

We were told that the best sites are in line with washrooms buildings being longer because of the buildings. make sure you have good mats because you will be hauling a lot of sand in your unit.

Next time we are in the area in the same time of the year we will definitively go back to Ocean Lakes where we spent our first week here. Very clean and friendly.

Have a great trip.

MM

Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Enjoy your unit. We have a Seville which the Rushmore replaced. Happy Camping

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

We've stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park, we really liked Huntington and would go back there. Not been to Ocean Lakes, don't think we'd care for it, would rather have a place a bit more secluded, but anyhow ... If you deal with the camping worlds in Myrtle, I would recommend the one on Hwy 501 vs Hwy 544, I've dealt with both, just my $.02
Travel Safe ...