Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi Everyone...

My wife and our 2 boys (4 and 2) are looking at getting the Sunset 26BH Reserved as we saw it at the RV Show in Edmonton and loves it! I've been doing as much research into TT as possible since this will be our first. My research has pointed to CrossRoads as one of the brand to trust.

The other trailer we are looking at is the Zinger 26BH. However, I like the weight of the Sunset since we will be towing with our 2010 Ram 1500 TRX. The biggest difference in terms of construction is wood frame on the Zinger and Alum frame on the Sunset. What I like a lot from CR is that they use clips and bolts to joint their alum posts.

I decided to go and visit Roadmaster RV in Leduc, AB which was at the show displaying the ST26BH Reserved. Upon speaking to the Salesman, I was informed that all new Sunset Trailers will be made with laminated walls. I was surprised. Anyone can confirm this? I'm not sure how to response to this, partly because CR used to publish a booklet on Trailer Construction and one of the key point was laminated walls vs CR's Gorilla's Cage system. So does this mean the newer Sunset will be subpar in quality as compare to the older one? Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and I thoroughly enjoyed this forum, lots of great info from lots of great member.
ZedAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Talk to the people at Grove RV they are awsome,and we never bought from them,but use them for service.

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Laurie...will do.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hi ,we have an 09 St 27RB . as i understand it , my walls are hung and than have the laminite applied to the walls . i know we looked at a 2010 and the quality was not the same , so we bought the leftover 09 . they also changed the warranty from 2 years bumper to bumper plus 5 year structural warranty if you have the roof and structure inspected by an authorized Crossroads dealer, to a1 year warranty . perhaps you can find a dealer that may have some leftovers . better price and better quality . this is not to say the Sunset Trail is not a good unit .we love ours . just throwing my 2 cents in the pot . what ever , good luck and welcome
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedAlpha

Hi Everyone...

My wife and our 2 boys (4 and 2) are looking at getting the Sunset 26BH Reserved as we saw it at the RV Show in Edmonton and loves it! I've been doing as much research into TT as possible since this will be our first. My research has pointed to CrossRoads as one of the brand to trust.

The other trailer we are looking at is the Zinger 26BH. However, I like the weight of the Sunset since we will be towing with our 2010 Ram 1500 TRX. The biggest difference in terms of construction is wood frame on the Zinger and Alum frame on the Sunset. What I like a lot from CR is that they use clips and bolts to joint their alum posts.

Just thought... Check out the Cruiser CTX TT series you'll get a lot of the ST items plus some more including the framing. Maybe not the fireplace, but so what it's not a fireplace anyway.Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
New Camper

We picked up our new 2010 Sunset Trail 31 QB from Able RV. Very excited. Shakedown cruise the weekend. Can't wait. Edited by: CAdling2696
CAdling2696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Did you buy the ST26BH?

What are you planning on pulling it with?

Are you getting a sway control hitch or just WD?

We are in Calgary and looking at the same unit?

Any comments?

egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #8
New Camper

Hi Egrum....since this would be our first trailer...and we are a little nervous about hauling a large unit and etc...we decided for this summer we are going to rent a trailer and try it out....and we have...we book a trailer with Carefree RV for a week this summer and it will give us a good taste of what to expect.

If all goes well, we will be coming back to seriously purchasing this unit...

We have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 3.92 gear ratio (TRX Model 4X4)....has tow capacity of about 9950 lbs...

We thought about a sway control hitch...heard lots of good thing about it...another friend has the equilizer hitch....I'll have to ask to see if he likes it.

So we are newbies to RVing... this summer will give us a good taste of what to expect when we take our rental trailer out for a week...we really like what we saw in the ST26BH!

I think in Calgary...Guarantee RV carries the ST26BH...we looked at the one from Roadmaster RV in Leduc. Lacombe RV also carries the ST26BH, they didn't have any in stock but was suppose to have them on order. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
New Camper

Silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
New Camper

we just bought a st29ss at Guarantee rv great 2 deal with and good price point.
we do like bunks as we have 2 kids
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

They seem great, however the salesman we are dealing with he is not as welcoming as others at other dealerships. Guaranty happens to have the unit we like.

We will pick up our trailer next week.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
New Camper

So far we have had 11 quality issues and the trailer spent three weeks at Able RV waiting for parts. Got fed up waiting and got it yesterday. Still waiting on lock sets for the doors and a bed frame for the bunk. Contacted Crossroads via email 4 days ago and no answer. Not impressed at all.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

WOW that is not a good sign, who want to wait 3 weeks for parts.

What unit did you buy exactly? the ST26bh?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #14
New Camper

Not sure how long it took the dealer to ask for the parts. My biggest concern is the lack of response from the factory. BAD customer service.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Call don't e-mail Randy and tell him your problem. He will take care of you.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Who is Randy?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
New Camper

i dont think its the unit its the dealer ship call them do not email
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Randy Mishler at crossroads factory. He will find out what is going on.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
New Camper

Sunset Trail 31 QBH. Here is the list.

A/C very weak into the bunk house bedroom, bunkhouse bed frame cracked, electic h20 heater not working, locks on main door failed, main table very loose, no pedistal mounts for the BH table, TV mount unlevel and too low, screw on black tank handle failed, load leveler bar mounts not installed properly, leaks in the sink plumbing, and no pressure when H20 is in pump mode.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
Site Team

Was there a complete/thorough PDI performed when the unit was picked up?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote