Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Any preppers out there, want to know how you coincide with RVing, besides the quick bug-out-bag, and three day prep for minor disasters. By minor I mean not taking your RV to 'bug-out' and returning shortly ....
Travel Safe...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

55 views, and no preppers! Going to 'Bug-In' in the RV when I 'Bug-Out'. ANYONE?
Travel Safe ...

Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #3

What?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

It's hard to answer when we don't seem to know what your talking about. sorry lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Preparing fordisasters. Having at least a three day supply of sustainment on hand in the case of disaster; hurricane, tornado, fire, etc... My bad, if one was a prepper, one would know. Just wanted to know if anyone else was prepping and 'Full-Time' too, and be able to compare notes...
Travel Safe ...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Site Team

I have avoided this thread like the plaque, hoping, it would go away. Well it hasn't and I feel compelled to write.
Preppers---is that a new found word for doom day sayers?
What can anyone do in the event of a disaster? Depends on what the individual classify s a disaster. A flood, hurricane, tornado, an earthquake, or maybe even a nucular war/fallout? Maybe the end of the world? They have been proclaiming the end for quite some time now. I haven't seen it. But then again try and tell that to the people in Japan, or any of our southern states that have went thru such devastation. Their world as they knew it is gone for sure. How long can you "prep" for? What good would it do in the first place? When the preps ran out it would be the end anyway. Why go to all the trouble of trying to prolong it? Live life as it was meant to be---ENJOY, AND REJOICE, WITHOUT FEAR!!! Be thankful you are alive, at the moment.
Sorry I had to get it off my chest.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

My parents always had a bug out kit ready (full-timers).They lived in central Florida and werereadyincase a hurricaine came that far inland. Ironically, the only time they would have used it was the year they were in the direct path of Charlie. My mother was in the hospital at the time Charlie came through getting her knees replaced.the family Physcian came by to see how she was doing and she asked if he could get my Dad out of their trailer and take him somewhere safe.Doc tookdad to hishometo ride outthe storm. When they came back after the storm thetrailer was ripped apart.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

There was a bunch of guys I knew from workwho were ready for THE disaster. They all bought property up north near each other, built underground bunkers,and stock piledthem with dried food, seeds, water and water purification pills, guns and ammo, fuel, generators and ham radios. they went through this exercise about 15 years ago. Now, two of them have sold off and moved out of state, afew use theirs forhunting camps and one has isolated himself there full time.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Site Team

When I initially posted on this thread I diffidently didn't intend to perpetuate it.
Point is--nobody is going to live forever, and I don't know of anybody who has gotten out of this world alive.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

To each his own, eh Old Farmer? I am ready to grab my bag and run out the door in the event of a fire or I have to evacuate my rig for whatever reason and have enough sustainment to be able to survive for a couple days. It was not I who posted the 'dooms-day' link ........
Travel Safe ...

Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I posted that link so they could try and figure out what you were talking about.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I understand, not knocking anyone,

·

</span></span></span>Preparation

for emergencies is preparing for ANYTHING that can affect the NORMAL ROUTINE in

your DAILY LIFE. I</span><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /></span>

Travel Safe ...

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I guess I qualify on this, having gone thru Katernia I am not going through that type of situation again. We keep the cruiser stocked at all times because we go camping on the spur of the moment. Thus if some thing rears it's ugly head it is grab the pups hook up and go

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
New Camper

My understanding is that a prepper is someone who prepares in case of an emergency. No different than having insurance. One hardly buys insurance and then waits fordisaster to happen. A hoarder is a more extreme version of a prepper, IMHO.

I must admit I am a prepper. A tornado is not uncommon here and losing power for several days is likely if a heavy storm occurs. To me having extra food, flashlights, a generator are just prudent steps. Having an RV is already a step in this direction. Having a place where you can eat, sleep, and cook if problems arrise is a great thing.

I think TV tries to give prepping an outcast viewpoint, but in reality, why wouldn't anyones take such prudent steps? We have become used to life on the flip of a switch. If the switches don't work for a while....what then? That, to me is what prepping is.

Paul : -)#
pmw2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw2922

A tornado is not uncommon here and losing power for several days is likely if a heavy storm occurs. To me having extra food, flashlights, a generator are just prudent steps. Having an RV is already a step in this direction. Having a place where you can eat, sleep, and cook if problems arrise is a great thing.

I think TV tries to give prepping an outcast viewpoint, but in reality, why wouldn't anyones take such prudent steps? We have become used to life on the flip of a switch. If the switches don't work for a while....what then? That, to me is what prepping is.

Paul : -)#
Speaking of; Am in N. Central Texas at the moment and the tornados that occured just recently helped me to practice using my Bug-out system, to an extent. Loaded the bags in addition to a few other things and was ready to move out, as the RV and the in-laws house was not conducive to waiting out the storm, luckily the tornado never materializednear here.

</span></span></span>�fire

extinguishers, air bags, seat belts, first aid kits and even spare tires most responsible people buy and maintain

just in case.

Travel Safe ...</span>

Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
I guess you could call me {{one}} because we are having a storm shelter installed in our garage next week before we head to Kerryville . But other then a change of clothes / shoes /cell phone/ 1st aidkit /weather radio . But living in this part of the country and seeing whathappened in Joplin MO. last year It will make us feel much safer to have a place to get in JUST IN CASE !

Tim &amp; Jo

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

&lt;br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
New Camper

I am actually doing a search right now and found this site because some full-timers at APN (American Preppers Network) were wondering how many preppers are full-timers, and how many full-timers are preppers. Sounds like not many.

We have a crossroads Zinger that we bought last year to move out to our BOL and start building our homestead. We lived in it with three kids and a dog for almost a year. Its a great little camper and things went better than we thought, so instead of building a home, we bought a park model RV that has a bit more room and features and is really cute. It is also anchored down and engineered for 120mph winds, which gives me more peace of mind than living in the camper did. The zinger will be for sale shortly.

I am surprised that so many of you would just lie down and give up in a bad situation. You must be older folks without children. Being a mom of 3, there is no way I can just lie down and let my little ones suffer. I see it as my duty and obligation to try my best to provide for them and keep them safe no matter what, for as long as I can.

Probability is, those of you who don't prep won't have the luxury of dying immediately in a 'situation.' You will linger and become dependent on others. Like all the people standing in lines after hurricane Sandy in the NE, because they couldn't keep around a little extra food, water, and blankets.

Zombies? No. Apocalypse? No. Financial collapse and $7 fuel? Probably. It's not the end of the world most of us prep for, but a changed world. Don't you see the world changing around us?

Please don't call people who believe in being prepared bad names. Just try to understand that we're not so willing to give up. Life is worth living, even when things aren't comfortable and convenient. We were never promised a rose garden here on Earth, and we shouldn't give up when it gets a little tough. People all over the world live their entire lives in uncomfortable, inconvenient, even dangerous situations and they don't give up. Preppers love life and love our families and want to see it all go onwith the best possible outcome in a changing world.
taffyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Hi. Not to drag this out call menaive but I prefer Old Farmers point of view. Life is a gift enjoy it!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
New Camper

I'm all about enjoying life! We take the kids to Disney almost every year and go on several mini-trips throughout the year. We're fixing to take up scuba diving now that the kids are old enough. We're very active in church and BSA. We just also happen to live in a 'little' house (399sf) and be preppers.

We are not hunkered down with a bunch of beans and guns like the media would have you believe.
taffyj is offline   Reply With Quote