Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My wife and I are planning a trip around Texas in late July and am interested in suggestions / experiences for places "not to miss".

We are leaving from Houston and will spend a few days in the Hill Country area, then make our way home through Dallas...so have a clean sheet to plan.

We want to see some of the unique spots Texas has, and spend a little time during the day in between campgrounds.

Of special interest are local restaurants, interesting routes, points of interest, campgrounds/RV parks, hiking, potential fall foliage campground (we typically go to Lost Maples SP).

We have a 27' 5vr and it being July, will need electric and water ata minimum for an overnight stop.

Your experiences (good and bad) from campgrounds would be helpful.

Aside from just getting away to see some of Texas, we want to find areas to go back to to spend longer visits.

Thanks!

Rich
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you are headed around Dallas, we recommend Mill Creek Ranch Resortin Canton and First Monday Trade Days. It is a top rated CG and offers free shuttle to the flea market.(reserve early) Also check out http://www.texasoutside.com/ for other great CG in the state.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you can wait until the rally in April to start making your plans I am sure you could get a lot of suggestions from the folks attending.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

While visiting the Hill Country do not miss the Admiral Nimitz "War of the Pacific" museum in Fredericksburg. It is literally a world class museum in a small town setting. Plan on at least 8 hours to see "most" of it. And it's been over 15 years since I went thru it and they have added a lot since then.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The Vineyards RV Resort in Grapevine is one of the nicest places of its kind in the US. It is owned and operated by the City of Grapevine and is situated right on Grapevine Lake. The central location is a good jumping off point for anything in the DFW Metroplex.
Ray Roberts Lake State Park Isle du Bois Unit in Pilot Point is beautiful year round. 115 RV spots with water and electric plus a dump location.
One of the things I have done is the Kennedy assasination tour. This is a self driving tour. You start out at the Sixth Floor Museum in downtown Dallas on Dealy Plaza. This gives you and insight and first hand look at this famous location. From there you head to Oak Cliff past the house where Oswald lived when he shot the President. Go to 10th and Patton Sts and see where Osward then shot Off. J. D. Tibbet while fleeing. A couple of blocks from there is the Texas Theater where Oswald was captured. Go back into town and see the old police HQ, the place where Ruby murdered Oswald. Finally get on IH-35E north and drive past Parkland Hospital to see where both the President and Oswald died. If you are a history buff you will love those places.

Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the ideas! My son is in Dallas so both Grapevine and Mill Creek are on the list ;-). Keith, I will also check with others at the Rally too...we decided this time instead of just going from point A to point B, we'd spend some time during the day along the routes too.

Rich
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote