Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Could someone PLEASE tell me how to operate the Fantastic fan with rain sensor? Our unit has 2 thermostats, one digital for furnace and AC and another for fantastic fan... but in the auto mode, on the fan assembly, we cannot consistently get it to come on. Yes the switch on the fan is in the "on" position and the knob is set to auto. How do we make this thing work automatically?
MAR&JWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I believe you must pick a temperature range setting. The fan then cycles on and off in the range you selected.

Paul
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when we set the temp range... for instance; yesterday afternoon the furnace thermostat was set at 60 and the fan thermostat at 70, the inside temp was about 75. Nothing happened so I opened the fan manually then reset it to automatic. When I no longer needed the fan later in the evening, I closed it manually and again reset to automatic. Then much later in the evening, the fan opened automatically... the thermostat was still at 70 and the inside temp was 68... to shut it off, we increased the thermostat to 80 and it closed... like I said, no rhyme or reason to the operation.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

You might call fantastic they are pretty helpful.

Paul
Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

the furnace thermostat has nothing to do with the fan operation. If you set the fan at 70 the fan should open when the temp in the unit raises to 70 degrees than shut down when the temp cools below 70. Ours tend to cycle to much when it reaches set temp. The cover opening and closing is annoying. It needs a setting for the cover to stay open and just the fan cycle.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

The themostat on the fan is at best rinky-dink! Had to reshape the contact springs to get ours to work correctly.The sprins seem to be of too lite a material
Cal
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

where is the thermostat ON the fan located? Our thermostat TO the fan is located across the room from the fan
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

As noted above: The small thermostat ( on the wall near the fan I assume) operates the fantastic fan, and The digital Thermostat operates the AC, The fan in the AC unit, and the furnace. These two systems are completely independent of each other.

The fantastic fan operates like this:

a) make sure that the Knob on the fan unit which opens and closes the hatch is pushed upward when the hatch is closed in-order that the electric motor which opens and closes the the hatch is engaged with the gear assembly for the hatch. The knob pulls down ( just slightly but with a small click) to allow you to open and close the hatch manually.
b) make sure that you select the fan speed with the circular knob on the fan unit by selecting speeds 1, 2,or 3 ( 0=fan off).
c) make sure the toggle switch is turned to on.
d) set the thermostat ( small one) to desired temperature.

When the temperature at the Thermostat is hotter that the set temperature the hatch opens and the fan turns on.
When the temperature at the thermostat is cooler that the set temperature the hatch closes and the fan turns off.
Keep in mind that ther is a water sensor on the top ( roof side)of the fan that will close the hatch and turn the fan off if it senses water. This is the "rain sensor" feature. Usually a little bit of rain comes in the hatch before it closes ( unless you have vent covers.

I see two possible problems that you could have:

a) Hardware: The thermostat contacts could be set incorrectly or be mis-aligned. Take off the thermostat cover by squeezing the left and right side with your figures hard and pulling straight out ( this is tough to do and sometimes you need to POP the edges with a small screwdriver).

Make sure take the contacts on the relay open and close at the current temperature at the thermostat ( i.e. is the setting slider at the current temperature when the contacts open and close). If not CAREFULLY ADJUST THE CONTACTS to the left or right as required. Be careful when adjusting and be patient.

I found one of my 3 thermostats ( I have 3 fantastic fans) had the contacts actually were hooked on the spring assembly and were not moving ( and my fan was always on once you raised the slider above zero).

2) But what I think that your problem probably is, is that you are running the Fantastic fan at the same time as the AC and / or furnace. What i do is turn on my fantastic fan with one or more windows open and the Digital thermostat turned off. ( NO AC or Furnace). This creates a nice freeze when the temp is hot and closes when the air is cool ( this is great for the night I find). I have found that running the AC at the same time as the Fanaticti fan will create small pockets of air which are either warmer than the room or colder that the room near the fantastic fan thermostat, resulting in unpredictable behaviuor of the fantasntic fan as you have described above.

If it gets really hot ( or really cold) I turn off the fantastic fans and turn on the AC or furnace as required ( and usually I am closing windows etc. at this point). The AC or furnace creates enough air movement with the windows closed to work great. Note that while the AC or furnace is on I will use the fantastic fan in the stool room for short ( or longer!) periods as an exhaust fan when it is required.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

My fantastic fans lid stays open and the fan goes on and off, lid don't shut each time the fan kicks off.

Paul
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

The knob for your hatch is pulled down ( in manual mode). Set your thermostat to zero, turn off the toggle power switch on the hatch, set your speed control knob on the hatch to zero, close the hatch manually with the knob, THEN push the hatch knob upwards slightly towards the roof ( sometimes you have to twist the knob very slightly to engage the gears) and you should feel a slight click in the hatch knob as the gears engage and a slight sound of the motor running to fully close the hatch that last 1/32 of an inch when you turn the power toggle back to the on position. Turn the power toggle back on and select fan speed 1 , 2, or 3, and then set thermostat. the hatch should open and close automatically now.

NOTE: IF the hatch is in manual mode the rain sensor feature will turn off the fan but it doesn't close the hatch I think.

Edited by: Boomer

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input/suggestions. I was assuming that the two thermostats were independent of each other but wanted to mention both so someone didn't think I was confusing the two ,eventhough they are located one above the other. I will try what has been mentioned and get back to ya. Thanks again.