Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Does anyone rotate the tires on their 5th wheel or tow behind?
I find most people do not but there are a few who do do. I sometimes think the tires should be rotated the the same as your truck or car. Does anyone have an opinion on this. Pros and cons?
Thanks

trac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I don't on camper but do on truck regularly but I think it is for more even wear. My back tires wear because they are drive wheels and my front tires always have on all my 4WD's worn different on the outside edges and it evens them up moving them back.Gives me longevity....well not me but the tires.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I just had the RV tires rotated from front to back. I don't rotate the spare. I will do this from time to time but not regularly. I did it because I noticed the rear tires on the RV were wearing slightly more than the front.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I don't rotate our 5vr tires because that are always going in a straight line, unless the axle is bend. The amount of side forces that trailer tire experiences is a lot less than the that of the TV. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be mindful of the condition of your trailer tires. I was told by the owner of an axle shop, that any kind of tire wear in trailer tires generally means a bent axle because there is little else that can go wrong with them.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input. I do rotate the truck and car at about 10,000km. I have 17122Km / 10638 miles on the 5th wheel. I think I will rotate them this spring. They do seem to be all wearing even at this point. Just for more info - they are Mission tires. No problems so far

trac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I personally don’t think front to back rotation makes much of a difference�.that being said I certainly don’t think front to back rotation would hurt anything if it makes you more comfortable.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><O:P></O:P>

<O:P></O:P>

The key to me is that you are putting your hands on your tires which force you to do some inspection.<O:P></O:P>

<O:P></O:P>

The most important maintenance item on a towable is proper tire/wheel/brakes/bearings upkeep!!!<O:P></O:P>Edited by: tcamper

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote