Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I bought a 2011 ST26BH Reserve this year. My wife and I absolutely love the trailer - lightweight (relatively), roomy, lots of storage etc.

However, I had to take it in for a Tongue Jack problem. On our last trip, the jack jammed and wouldn't retract (had to use the stabilizer jacks to drop the trailer on the hitch). Made a grinding/binding noise. I did mange to get it to retract without load on it (once I extended the stabilizer jacks). I took it into our dealer, and they said they had a number come back with similar problems. Bad thing is its been over a week, and no part yet from CrossRoads. Has anyone else had this problem?

While it was there, I mentioned another observation I had about the trailer. When I maneuver the trailer (tight cornering/backing up), I notice what I would call substantial wheel/axle deflection. As in one tire looks like / and the other looks like \. To me, it looked more than 'normal'. My dealer (who actually looked at the problem - I thought they'd just blow it off) found some measurements that were out of spec for the axles. I'm now waiting to hear if Lippert will warranty the axles (again, its been a week, and my dealer has had no response from them).

I'm hoping these are two isolated incidents and that I will be able to continue enjoying my trailer. Big camping trip next weekend, so I hope they get it all sorted out in the next 7 days.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

My trailer will have different axles than yours, but I too noticed A LOT of twisting. Its my first 5er and I have never seen that before on anything smaller than a tractor-trailer. People on here assured my its fine. One tip I was told was when parking it; pull straight forward and backwardto ease the twisting.

Keep us informed of the results.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Just remember those trailer axles do not turn, they twist and go out of alignment when manuvering. I all ways pull forward several times before setting up just to have those back in their normal position

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Yes, that's what I've been doing. The concerning part for me is that some of the measurements that the dealer has taken show the axles slightly out of alignment (and I've only got 1500km's on the trailer). I'm very diligent in ensuring the trailer is stored with the wheels properly aligned. We'll see what Lippert has to say about warranty. Still nothing from the dealer.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Just heard back from the dealer. Lippert is replacing 2 axles, 4 wheels and rims, and a tongue jack. All under warranty. According to my dealer, this is the 4th Sunset Trail that they've had to do this too. I'm hoping that the new axles are a 're-designed' version. I'd hate for this problem to keep occurring.

I asked my dealer about recalls, but none have been issued yet - they are still doing the "forensic" evaluation on the failures.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
New Camper

Sorry to hear abou the axel problems...we were looking into purchasing the same trailer...what's your take on the trailer beside the obvious problems you had...

I see that you have a 3/4 Ton to pull the trailer...maybe my 1/2 may not be sufficient to hauling this trailer and may have to look at an alternative.

I have a 2010 RAM 1500 TRX with 3.92 gear ratio...but I think the rear axel weight and hitch weight is what concerns me. Have you try weighing your trailer at a weight station? If so what is the weight?

Thanks,

Tuyen
ZedAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedAlpha
Sorry to hear abou the axel problems...we were looking into purchasing the same trailer...what's your take on the trailer beside the obvious problems you had...

I see that you have a 3/4 Ton to pull the trailer...maybe my 1/2 may not be sufficient to hauling this trailer and may have to look at an alternative.

I have a 2010 RAM 1500 TRX with 3.92 gear ratio...but I think the rear axel weight and hitch weight is what concerns me. Have you try weighing your trailer at a weight station? If so what is the weight?

It depends ona few more things on your truck

What is the engine size? Is it a Crewcab? What size wheels does it have? Is it a long bed or short bed? Is it 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? does it have the tow package on it?

You can go to this link and it will tell you the towing capacities for you truck: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...capacties.htmlEdited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
New Camper

Wow...thanks for the link, thats a great site...
I have a 5.7 Hemi, Crewcab, short bed, 4X4 and wheel size of 17 inch LT275 and a tow package.

Thanks,
Tuyen

Edited by: ZedAlpha
Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

No problem, did you find your truck there and see what the towing capacities are?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
New Camper

Yes, I did...according to the site my truck has a GCVW: 15, 500 lbsand a towing capacity of 9,900 lbs.

I guess, its just the tounge weight on the hitch and my payload capacity that I am concern with.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

What does your trucks owners manual tell you that your max tongue weight is? Also you maybe able to look on the hitch that is on the truck and find the plate that tells you also. But go first by what the owners manual tells you.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

According to Dodge the tongue weight should be at least 10 percent of the gross weight of the trailer and no more than 15 percent. Go to Dodge towing guide site. Looks as if your tongue weight will be in the 680 pounds plus add the 10 percent for options. Your dealer can give you the actual shipping weight off of the invoice, or bill off the bill of laiden
Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Frank,

I think what he is wanting is not the specs that Dodge says of 10% tongue weight. He wants to know how much tongue weight his truck can handle. What the max is.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Overall, I love the trailer. Haven't had any other issues than the ones posted here. I'd readily recommend the trailer - it's met my approval everywhere else. I am a bit disappointed in the issues I've had, but my dealer has been excellent in resolving them.

In regards to half-ton towable, I'd say yes it could be towed with a half ton. The scaled dry weight of my unit (all options-in) is 5860lbs from the factory, so even wet, I don't think I'd cross over the 7000lb mark with it. I originally planned to pull it with a Ford Expedition, but decided to get a bigger tow vehicle. I'm very happy with the F250, but I'm certain a half ton could do the job. I believe my tongue weight is around 700lbs wet, so it shouldn't be over the allowable for a half ton. I've certainly seen bigger units pulled with half ton trucks.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
atc
Weekend Camper

I have the 32BHS reserve. The largest one in the sunset trail line. I am towing it with a 2011 dodge 1500 crew 5.7 sxt. With a reese distribution hitch. Last year I had a ford excursion V10 with a slightly smaller trailer. I must say I have been happier with the dodge. It handles it great, along with fuel economy I am surprised with. I had 800lb spring bars on my hitch that I had to upgrade to 1200lb. I made my first trip with the 800 ones, the 1200's made all the difference.
atc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
New Camper

Thank you so much for your input and help...I have booked a rental trailer too bad not a Sunset but it's a startto test out....I'm new to RV...so I will let you know how it goes...and with the information with regards to the 26BH and the 32BHS...I am feeling a little better that my 2010 RAM 1500 should be able to handle it.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Update: Got the trailer back last Friday, and took it out over the weekend. All-in-all, almost $3 grand in parts alone with new axles, tires, and rims, as well as the tongue jack. Hopefully I don't run into any more problems.

I was pleased in the end with the service I got. It's a bit painful however, as Lippert won't let the dealer use axles in stock for warranty replacement. Instead, the dealer has to take measurements, send them to Lippert, wait for Lippert to confirm "out-of-spec", then place a factory order for new axles from Lippert. Took over 3 weeks for the process on my TT.

Anyway, I'm back on the road and happy again.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer
Update: Got the trailer back last Friday, and took it out over the weekend. All-in-all, almost $3 grand in parts alone with new axles, tires, and rims, as well as the tongue jack. Hopefully I don't run into any more problems.

I was pleased in the end with the service I got. It's a bit painful however, as Lippert won't let the dealer use axles in stock for warranty replacement. Instead, the dealer has to take measurements, send them to Lippert, wait for Lippert to confirm "out-of-spec", then place a factory order for new axles from Lippert. Took over 3 weeks for the process on my TT.

Anyway, I'm back on the road and happy again.

Glad everything worked out fine and you are back on the road. Are the new axles the same as the old ones? I am dealing with bent axles as well (st29ss reserve) and I'm not sure I want to keep going through this if that is the case. It seems to me that 3500# axles on a 7800# gvwr TT is pushing things and if I have to wait a month for new axles I may just replace them myself with a bigger set. I have read the 31bh's have 4400# axles for 2012 as opposed to our 3500# they had in 2011.

A side note: how does your F250 pull with the 6.2? What kind of mileage are you getting?
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

You know, I didn't even look at the axles. I just assumed they were the same, but I'll check this weekend when I pull the trailer out.

I love my F250. Pulls like a champ. Not a diesel, but pretty darn good. I couldn't justify the added capital, maintenance, etc. on the diesel, as this is my commuter vehicle too. But overall I'm very impressed with it. Just got back from a 700km trip through the mountains in Alberta/BC, and averaged about 24L/100km (9.8 USMPG). The 6 spd tranny really works well with the engine too. On the flats I'm pulling in either 5th or 6th gear. Gentle grades will be 4th or 5th, and steeper grades will be 3rd or 4th. Only once (going up an 8% grade) did I hit 2nd. Really happy with the truck.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEngineer
You know, I didn't even look at the axles. I just assumed they were the same, but I'll check this weekend when I pull the trailer out.

I love my F250. Pulls like a champ. Not a diesel, but pretty darn good. I couldn't justify the added capital, maintenance, etc. on the diesel, as this is my commuter vehicle too. But overall I'm very impressed with it. Just got back from a 700km trip through the mountains in Alberta/BC, and averaged about 24L/100km (9.8 USMPG). The 6 spd tranny really works well with the engine too. On the flats I'm pulling in either 5th or 6th gear. Gentle grades will be 4th or 5th, and steeper grades will be 3rd or 4th. Only once (going up an 8% grade) did I hit 2nd. Really happy with the truck.

Ha, Funny, we just got back from the mountains of AB/BC as well. (Banff andInvermere)., That's what has me thinking about a bigger truck than my F150. We're living in Sask. but spent 25 years in Banff. BTW. What dealer do you use?
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote