Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We're looking for a nice campground for Memorial Day weekend. We were thinking about NW Indiana or SW Michigan. All State Parks appear to be booked.

Anywhere in Northern IN or Lower 1/2 of Michigan would be of interest to us.

We're not real keen on campgrounds that are mostly seasonal campers unless someone has had a good experience at one - we have not.

thanks
Mike

mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

A little late to register at a State Campground for a holiday weekend. You might keep checking in case there is a cancellation. Pokagon State Park, Indiana and Holland State Park or Grand Haven State Park in Michigan are very nice.

Waffle Farms Campground, Coldwater, MI is an average campground on a chain of lakes. Sunnybrook RV Resort in South Haven and Hidden Ridge RV Resort in Martin MI are very nice if you like Condo parks.

I've been to many private campgrounds in southwest Michigan, and have been mostly disappointed.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

http://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/You can try here but this late you will be lucky if you find an opening in a state park. Most are probably already booked thru labor day on holiday weekends. You might have some luck with privately owned campgrounds, all I can suggest there is a google search.

Also be aware of firewood restrictionsbecause of our little friend the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/3443.htmCampfires are permitted but if you bring wood you have to remove the bark or purchase the wood from a state certified seller that has an approval stamp on the wood.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Yep, already tried all the State Parks. We're a bit late this year and kind of new that. So we're looking now for maybe a private campground or finding a State Park cancellation. It's unfortunately that there are so few nice private campgrounds. Our experience has been that most have very small sites and many have seasonal campers that really 'don't like' us weekenders in their parks.

We've been dealing with the Ash Borer for quite a few years now at our State Parks. As an aside, my parents neighborhood association just remove all of the dead ash trees lining their streets. Very unfortunate.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Most successful private campgrounds are going to primarily season leases. This is the only way the campground can pay their bills. Not sure why you have a negative opinion of seasonal campers. In my campground, we generally welcome the weekenders and enjoy the park together. Weekenders always provide a certain amount of amusement as well, and occasionally problems (excessive drinking, noise, mess, wandering through other sites uninvited, etc.)

If you want a nice family campground to stay at, come visit me at http://www.dukecreek.com/. Might even buy you an adult beverage.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Al, thanks for the note about seasonal campers vs weekenders. I also understand the economics with the lease advantage. I'm sure there are a lot of nice private (even seasonal) campgrounds. I'll admit we haven't had a lot of experience with them, but the few we have tried were not that enjoyable. Maybe our experiences were atypical. I have nothing against seasonal campers and only based my comments on my limited experiences - probably not a fair judgement.

Your campground is a little far for us on a weekend, but otherwise, I'd probably take you up on that adult beverage! thx

Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

No offense taken. I pulled up until 2 years ago ... and many the weekend I forgot to plan ahead for.

Have you considered the campground they hold the rally at in Shipshewana? Clean. Decent sized sites. Amish country surrounds you. Close to South Bend. Kalamazoo about an hour away.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Al, that's a good idea. We're planning to attend the rally, so that might be an option for Memorial Day too. thx

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

mikenannie, you might try Caboose Lake Campground just off I-65 near Remington, In. It's a Good Sam park---Clean, well kept nice lake, nice people, a little close to the Interstate so can be noisey. Sites not real roomy, lot of pull thrus. Good Luck.

Flyone
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Mikenannie, if you try the Shipshewanna north campground and you can't get in, try the Shipshewanna south campground. Same company owns both and the south campground is larger with all pull-thrus and full hookups. Much prefer it to the north campground. Wish the rally would move so more attendees could have full hookups.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Dale,
Amen, by the time I got signed up all the full-hookups were taken...oh well, I'll know better next year LOL...just looking forward to it and meeting all the nice people on here...not doing any mods until I have either seen them first hand or can talk to those who have done them. Seeing is believing

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote