Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

We've been very fortunate. Whether we stored our trailer outside or in, we have never had mice before .... until this year. The dirty little buggers were guests in our trailer over the winter. I can confirm dryer sheets do NOT work. Just in case I had poison out and they certainly gorged themselves on that as I had none left ... or rather they did a nice job of storing it away for later consumption.

A quick scan underneath and no area was obvious as to where they were getting in at. I realize it can be an opening the size of a nickel. Rather than reinventing the wheel, where did you caulk/foam openings to prevent the dirty little #*%)(*#%$ (edited for the family forum) from coming in?

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Al:

I'll be watching this topic closely as I have the same question. The only difference is that mine is prevention rather than cure.

Thanks for posting the question!

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I caulked/foamed every crack or hole I could find inside and out. Check the mechanisms for your slide outs as there holes where they slide in and outthey could get in. Check for small or large holes around the frame rails where they might have run wires or gas lines. They are crafty little buggers.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I had this on a previous camper. I first used the latex water-cleanup foam and then found out that was basically cornstarch. The mice really liked it.

I went to the local big-box store and read all the foam can labels. There were a couple that specifically indicated good for rodent protection so I got that (black can, don't remember the brand name) and then poked steel wool into any hole I could get it into and foamed everything I could see or reach.

When I got the Seville, I went around it and foamed any hole that looked appropriate other than stuff that it could cause problems on. I also went to the back cap and had a look there. I was able to foam, stuff steel wool, and then foam more in a couple of spots. When I get the Seville home tomorrow I'll have a better idea when I crawl under and have a look.

I did check it every couple of weeks and put some stuff I got that is supposed to make it unpleasant for them to live there (smells like really heavy pine) and that seems to work. My neighbor keeps kitty litter in his for the same reason as well as helping to absorb any dampness.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Al:
Start inside. Open every door, drawer, nook, cranny, etc. on the floor that you can find. Take your flashlight and look them over real good. You should find lots of BIG holes that CR bored through the floor to allow passage for electrical wires, water lines, sewer lines, LP piping, and there is probably more but you get the idea.
If the holes are big enough, stuff steel wool in them and then blow them full of foam. If it over flows a little bit more then you like to see, it can be trimmed off after it dries. Just look good and fill every hole you find. You can't be to careful in your search, I know. I went over our rig 3 or 4 times and I still didn't get them all. Got one more outside to finish up on soon now.
Then start on the outside and go over the frame and the whole underside the same careful way. Just make sure when you start blowing the foam in, that you understand where it's going. Next, start on your storage compartments. Empty them out and look. Remember, this is going to be an irritating job and you only want to have to do it once

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Old Farmer, unfortunately you are so right. When I had to do our old rig (a Sunnybrook), I spent 2 weeks cleaning out the mess and fixing. I shot 5 cans and a bag of steel wool in that one & then sanitized the rig. I do have some really good stuff for sanitizing and cleaning that when you're done, it smells like a new camper.

I know I need to do more on this one. I did the outside stuff first, just to get it done. There are places that I know I'll have to build a nozzle to get into. Had to do it on the Sunnybrook and expect the same here.

Your instructions are great. Too bad that Crossroads (and every other mfg thinks they need to punch huge holes when a small one would do.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #7

I had the same problem. I used foam also to fill all the holes. I don't think you can get them all from the outside due to slidouts. But after foaming all the holes to prevent them from getting inside the camper. I went to Lowes and purchased the black mouse traps that look like a black rectangle box with a mouse hole. You can set it with a trigger from the top. I use peanut butter to bait.I placed three of them around the camper in my building. That seems to work better than anything. Every once in a while I'll get a mouse.Edited by: Deputydog
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Agreed. Had them move in last winter in my Cruiser. They made a nice bed of the dryer sheets, loaded the front pass-thru with food and sat out the winter! When I arrived there was no real damge, just a mess. First thing to remember is they are nasty plague carrying varmits. They can not (and won't) hold urine or poop, so even if you can't see it you have it! I cleaned the unit with Clorox wipes on all the walls, cabinets, etc after a good vaccum... I then mopped the floor with Mr. Clean anti-bacterial and steamed the carpets and furniture. I grabbed a bag of steel wool and pulled every single fake panel and access door. I stuffed each of the holes then topped it off with low-expanding Great-Stuff foam. I set glue traps and ended up catching most of the clan.

Anyways once they get in they are buggers to get out.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, great tutorial. Underneath the trailer there is the black protective fabric/barrier. How did you seal those seams where lines & etc come through?

I have to go back and clean but figure I need to take care of the holes and make sure the critters are gone first. No point cleaning yet just to have to do it later. Could use a bleach solution to sanitize but I like your suggestion Mike.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Al:
I have some black tape I got from the dealer a couple years back. It's some really good stuff, but I suppose gorilla tape would work also. Just clean the fabric good and then go over it prior to taping with rubbing alcohol so it will stick good. That's how I sealed around those areas where things go through or any other crack in the under covering.
Why don't you give solvit a try for cleaning inside? You might be surprised.
As far as the drier sheets not working------you probably didn't use the right brand.

We usually have a mouse trap baited and set in an out of the way place in the camper. If one gets in, that will catch it before you are aware they have infiltrated. Make sure to set the trap on a news paper because the buggers have a habit a bleeding when that trap whacks em on the head.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #11
Site Team

In case you want to close up the holes around the slide tubes like Keith mentioned, here is a pic of what I did. This is real heavy----#60 grit sandpaper, and it's pretty stiff and hard.I slit it so it would go over the tube then used a glue/cement that will adhere to just about any thing. couple pop rivets to hold it in place till glue sets up.

">
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Great pic Lloyd! Appreciate all you've shared.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I had this problem 2 years ago. What I found our was in the back by the bumper there was 4-4inch dia holes so I used furnace tape on the inside and outside as I had the under belly down. They made a mess under there as well as the inside of the camper. I had dryer sheets in there also. DID NOT WORK. So this year I had no trouble. I also caulked everywhere with black RTV sealer. Hope this helps. As they use the same cross member from front to back on the trailers for sewer pipes and electrical wire.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Purchased supplies and am ready to begin plugging holes, seams, rifts & etc in the trailer. Did a little reading and wondering if any one has used any of the following as deterrents...

Tin Cat, an effective traphttp://www.amazon.com/Victor-M310-Live-Mouse-Trap/dp/tech-data/B00004RAMU. I guess the trapped mice act as bait and they cannibalize each other.

Peppermint Oil on cotton balls - claimed to be an effective detrrent

Critter Out, claimed to a safe deterrenthttp://www.deerout.com/critter/?gcli...FcW8Kgod72olIw

Apparently only USED kitty litter or snake poop works, though I have my doubts about both.
I intend to rodent proof the trailer as much as possible but wondering if any one has had success with some sort of deterrent.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 04-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I have used Cab Fresh for years inside my Spa outside, and can tell you that it works great. I have never had mice in my spa anywheres. Here is a link to it the company that handles it: http://www.earthkindstore.com/servle...get-rid/Detail

I havent used them inside my TT as I havent had a mouse problem, I plugged all the holes last year when I had the underbelly off.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Hmmm. Replace every 100 days. Place 1 bag every 8 sq ft. Cost $37.50 for 12 bags. I'd have to shovel a path through who knows how much snow to get to the trailer in the middle of winter to replace bags. Glad to hear the product works but it seems to have a few disadvantages.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL