Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone else had a problem getting a a Crossroads Authorized repar facility to work on your unit? I am in Montana and have a laundry list of items to be fixed, but, none of the places here will work on it because they didn't sell it. I have been dealing with CR for authorized repair facilities but, the one they recommendare refusing to do the work. One place in Missoula would do the work, only if I paid them out of pocket and then they wouldgive methe amount of thecheck from Crossroads, which they said would probably be less than the actual cost for the work???? Any thoughts???
Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

unless things have changed , you do not have to use a Crossroads dealer . i needed some warranty work done on ST and had it done at our local RV dealer who deals with other brand names . called CR .they told the local dealer to submit the problem to be fixed and they would authorize the work to be done . let's face it , when you need work to be done when you are traveling , you are not always going to find A CR dealership . just my opinion . hope you find a good dealership to take care of your problems
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Call CR and I am sure they will find a dealer that will take care of you. I had work done when my trailer was new and no local CR dealers and CR went the extra mile for me. Ask for Randy if he is still with CR.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Accordianman is correct. Find a repair facility that is willing to work on your unit and do the warranty repairs. They will call CR for authorization and complete the work. The facility does NOT need to be a CR dealer nor CR recommended.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

RV warranties are unlike those from auto makers. A dealer is NOT required to service any unit they do not sell. I would certainly never do business with any CR dealer who refuses service to you. I would also post that information every place on the 'Net where it will get eyeballs. The federal government needs to step up to pass legislation to make RV warranties similar to those of motor vehicles. Sure, like that is going to happen any time soon.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

All, today CR is supposed to contact a local dealer (Heartland/Thor Ind.) and encourage them to work on my unit. The dealer called me late yesterday to inform me that they aren't interested in working on the Seville. My unit is currently sitting in Helena where I towed it to get this work done, but, upon arrival discovered that the currently have no RV Techs. I was told (by the Dealer) that they have a new guy with no RV experience, but that he is a 4.0 student. CR has given me names of two other dealers in MT, one is another 120mi away, and one in Billings that is 240mi away. I can live with that, but they don't want to work on it. CR offered up one in SLC at 450mi, and another in Sydney, MT. another 450+. I have my fingers crossed that CR will convince the dealer here in Butte to do this work, or I may be looking at 1000mi round trips to drop it off and pick it up when work complete. I am sure that CR will come up with a solution, but the whole thing is very frustrating for now. Thanks for all the input, and Happy Trails!!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Wow, I am amazed you are getting treated this way. We took our Seville back to the selling dealer for warranty work after our first season in it, and no issues. The following year we had an issue with our hot water mixing valve while we were in St George Utah. That was fixed by a local rv handyman, paid for by Crossroads warranty. They even put us in contact with him in the first place! Hopefully you can find a dealer that has their head screwed on straight and will get you taken care of ASAP. Good luck!

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Have you considered doing a search for a mobile rv repair tech? I found 2 when I searched for mobile rv repair montana. You might be able to get one of them to do the work and bill CrossRoads.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

What does your laundry list consist of. Any safety issues? Is the trailer safe to tow? There should be a dealer in Idaho Falls that can do the work. I am surprised that CR has not been more helpful in this matter. This does not fit how I have seen their response in the past on this forum. I would ask to speak to a supervisor next time you call CR.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

No safety issues, but alot of little things. When the flooring was laid they didn't sweep the subfloor, so under the wood look vinyl are woodchips or small rocks that are protruding up causing bumps in the vinyl. The subfloor itself is popping in spot when walked on (not secured to framing properly), the bedroom slide from day one has been wrong as it breaks out the end of the storage bin under the bed. The dealer stapled it back together when we picked up the unit, but, the next time we ran slide in it broke out again. When useing the sanitary flush on black tank, water runs down a tube from insine a cabinet in bathroom to the waterheater area and out the side of the trailer. cabinet can't beaccessed where vacuum breaker is located without removing panelling. Moulding on dinette slide broke off while slide going out, foot pedal on toilet feel off, duct work installed wrong and the only way to get a little bit of heat into bedroom register was to close off the one in the bathroom, and the list goes on. We have had a mobile guy do a couple of things since we bought it, but they have limitations. The Norcold 2117IM refer has been worked on for various thing for over a year by the Norcold people and mobile techs. We have been living in the unit since we bought it on 12/24/2010. and have not been able to be without it for some of these things to get fixed. We are home now for about 6 months and need to take care of these thing before we hit the road again. CR did mention a facility in Idaho Falls, but again, it is a 6-7 hour round trip I would rather not make. Our local RV dealer(not Crossroads Specific) has flat refused to do the work, the Crossroads Dealer in Billings (Metra RV) has refused, The Crossroads/Redwood Dealer in Missoula wants me to pay up front for repairs. Today CR is supposed to make arrangements with the one in Missoula for full payment of costs by Crossroads. We will see. I did alot of research on Seville before we bought, and thought it to be the best unit for the money. I think our unit was assembled as a training unit for it to have all these issues, and can't believe CR Quality control would allow this unit out the door. At this point I am sorry we purchased this unit and that because it was on X-mas eve, when we drove 600 miles to pick it up, we didn't have the time to sit in it for a few hours and see all the things QC missed. Of course the dealer was in a hurry to close for the Holiday and didn't really do a walk through at all, just handed me the papers to sign and be on my way. So, it is a combination of blame as we were both in a hurry. Regardless, it has been nothing but trouble since then. I read a bunch of posts giving praise to these units, so, I must have got the lemon unit, and or, the others don't post. CR was to busy yesterday to resolve this, but, claims that it will get cleared up today(Wed.). I can only hope.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Site Team

As beautiful as MT. is, by the sounds of it, the RV dealers out there don't have the same quality.
Sure hope you can get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

No they don't, I had problems with another unit(Not CR) that when I finally got some one to do the work, it was of a poor quality. Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Any developments?

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

CR never called me back yesterday, and when I called today for info I was put off until tomorrow. CR claims they spoke with Bretz RV in Missoula and they were going to evaluate the 22 item laundry list of issues and get back to them. However, the guy wasn't in today and CR received no response. So, I guess it may be tomorrow, again...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I have a friend who works for an RV company, he sells units and they have a service dept and I did not buy my unit from them, but over a few drinks I asked him about the service and why they wouldn't work on any unit as long as the cash was right, I owned a garage and that is how I met this guy, and he was really right when you listened to him, he said that there was no way he would work on a unit they didn't sell as long as there was a unit they did sell waiting for service, he said the guy who bought from them was their customer, if you bought somplace else you weren't and basically your problem was your problem not theirs...and then he said that they basically didn't want to hear a customer complain, constant phone calls, trying to get approval all for a unit they never sold and never made a profit on...makes sense....and then I was told that warranty work is more work than it's worth, no company pays that well, infact where I bought my unit from quit crossroads over warranty work, he simply said what they sold they did the warranty work for and they do go the extra to make their customer happy, but to have to spen alot of hours doing paperwork and trying to get authorization to make a few bucks is not worth the time or energy...this dealership is doing really well, nice staff and their service dept is always full and during the season they run the service dept 6 days a week and with a full crew...RV dealers do not have to service anything that they don't sell, and from his pont of view I understand where they are coming from...I owned a garage and did very well with it and I have to agree with the fact that if you didn't buy from that dealer they sure are not going to jump thru hoops and listening to all the crap to make a few dollars on some warranty work, and the excuse that the customer said he would never buy from them is really ok, lets face the fact that he wasn't their customer to begin with, for those who buy on price point only your getting what you paid for...the old addage that the customer is always right and the delaer should do anything and everything to take care of a person who didn't buy from you in the beginning just doesn't fly anymore....I know alot of you folks won't agree with me but if you were in the service business and you ability to make a living depends on your customers, you would take care of them before somebody you never saw before comes thru the door....the exception in my business was if they were from out of town, then the best we did was to service the vehicle and give them all the paperwork, the used or bad parts and then the customer could fight to get his money.........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Another thought___________As long as you have to make that many miles, "if" you can get one of those dealers to work on it, Have ever considered just dragging it back to the factory to get the work done? It probably wouldn't be much difference in miles seeing as you are talking a couple 1000 mile round trips now. Besides that you would probably have the work done right and wouldn't have to worry about going back to that dealer and complaining because they didn't get it right.
You could chalk it up to another vacation. Do some sight seeing at the same time.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I have been holding my breath that it won't come to that, but I have given it a little thought. It would really put a damper on the time I have off to do things here at the house though. We have been away from home working for almost two years and have things that need to be done in fair weather before the next job, so, if I can get the work done near here it makes it easier to work on the house at the same time. Somehow it will all work out I'm sure.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I can understand that a place won't jump on my unit if they have a customer that has bought a unit there, and I am not asking anyone to jump through hoops for my unit. I only want one of CR authorized repair facilities (or any facility)to accept the unit and fix it when they can. I am not using it now and they can take their time to nibble away at it between other units. According to Crossroads the authorization process is simple, submit the charges, and they will authorize over the phone prior to any work being initiated. I have had acouple little things done while we were on the road by mobile rv techs thatreceived authorization in a few minutes, and as far as other dealers, why they would turn away work at $125.00 or more an hour is beyond me. It is almost like they only want to do the easy stuff like put a max air vent on or, replace a battery, or what have you. You know, the little things that take 15 minutes, and then charge outrageous prices for them. Bottom line, places that provide any degree of customer service are few and far between these days...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

MT traveler the idea of going back to the factory for repair work is as good as it gets, I do understand your along way but if you can get there, do it, they work will be done in no time, they always have the right parts, never the usual crap about how they were shipped the wrong parts but I can teel you from experience that you will be more than happy, they will probably fix things you don't even know are bad, I am ony less than 4hrs from the factory and we have never had it anywhere else for work, it may well be worth going than to go thru all kinds of stress....and I can assure you that crossroads or no other RV company pays $125.00 an hour for warranty work, not even half that...and remember alot of these so called "RV tech" were changing oil at walmart last month......

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote