Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just purchased a 2012 ST24RB and will be picking it up in 6 weeks. It comes with a standard 2 year warranty but I know they are going to discuss an extended warranty when we pick it up and sign the papers. Any thoughts on whether it would be a good idea or not? Sorry, don't know the price yet. Also, they suggest we spend $850.00 for a protective coating for the exterior. It comes with a 5 year warranty. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks for your help.

JanieRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

On our last two Crossroads trailers I did not worry about an extended warranty until after the factory warranty was up. No use paying for something you don't need for the first two years.

Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I thought about the protective coating too but glad I did not do it. I find all you need is a good wash and wax one or two times a year to keep the gel coat looking good. With that money you can buy a lot of wax and hire someone to do it.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Our Cruiser's two year warranty expired last August. In July, I purchased the Xtra Ride extended warranty. I have six extra years of coverage. Matter of fact, XR just paid over $400 to repair a leaking black tank. For something with so many parts that rolls bouncing down the road I feel it is a good investment.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We just bought our new trailer. Did not go for the extended warranty or protective coating. They pushed us so hard that my wife felt intimidated by the dealership. It was almost a deal breaker. Finally I told them that if I needed the coating and extra warranty so bad I didn't want the trailer. Kind of laid off us after that.

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We did not get the extended warrantee ,but did get the protective coating. Its been sitting outside since March 3rd and still looks as clean as it was in the showroom. dirt seems to slide right off of it. Even bird droppings!.... Negotiate the cost as ours was $525 for our 30RE. It,s a moneymaker for the salesperson! Happy Campin'!

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin
We just bought our new trailer. Did not go for the extended warranty or protective coating. They pushed us so hard that my wife felt intimidated by the dealership. It was almost a deal breaker. Finally I told them that if I needed the coating and extra warranty so bad I didn't want the trailer. Kind of laid off us after that.

Brian
Makes you kinda wonder where the profit makers are!!!!
NOT.

Recently I purchased a chair, the store wanted to apply a fabric protector on it for an additional fee. Then I pointed out that the chair was made of fabric already bearing the Scotch Guard treatment.
Saleperson got quiet.....
But I understand, everyone needs to make a living.

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo
Our Cruiser's two year warranty expired last August. In July, I purchased the Xtra Ride extended warranty. I have six extra years of coverage. Matter of fact, XR just paid over $400 to repair a leaking black tank. For something with so many parts that rolls bouncing down the road I feel it is a good investment.

Very good point on waiting to purchase the extended coverage. We purchased the extended coverage at time of purchase as we were not told that buying at a later date would be an option.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Was just reading about extended warranty on Cruisers. I didnt know that there was such a thing. What does it cover and how much does it cost? Is it thru the dealer or Crossroads? Do you need to bring the 5th wheel back to Crossroads factory to use the warranty? All new to me - any comments or experience with it? Thanks.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Most extended warranties are through third parties and have nothing to do with Crossroads. My Xtra Ride is the Platinum plan and covers almost everything bumper to hitch. I can take my Cruiser to any licensed repair shop or mobilerepair. My recent black tank repair took place right where we are staying without the hassle of having to take it to a shop.

Cost is negotiable. I saved a bundle by buying through a reputable online warranty dealer. The local Crossroads dealer could not match the price nor could several other dealers.

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We purchased the 5-year Camping World warranty. With so many components (stove, heaters, etc.) and CW's all over the country, we felt it was worth having the extendedcoverage.

That being said, we also purchased the "dumbed down" version- we must take it to CW and pay $50 deductible...the added cost for the "premium" didn't seem worth it...the "reduced" coverage was 1/2 the price.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Camping World's warranty was more expensive with less coverage. There have been many complaints on here concerning inconsistent or incompetentrepairs at CW. A better choice would be a national extended warranty that permits you to take your RV to any licensed RV repair shop. I paid less than $1,300 for an 84 month plan (includes the first two years of factory warranty). Shop smart on the Internet and you can find a reputable warranty at a good price that permits you to chose your place of repair.

Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 03-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I would recommend putting the money you would spend on a warranty in the bank. Most repairs I have seen on these rv sites are less than what the warranty costs. Most likely at the end of 6 years or what ever the warranty period is you will still have some money left in the bank.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all your input

JanieRyan is offline   Reply With Quote