Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We were just leaving for the long 4th of July weekend and the wife decided to make one final check that the refridge (I have to say refridge cuz I can't remember how to spell refrigerator)switched over to gas. So she opened the curbside slide to get at the refridge and the slide would not open....it just sat there and clicked. The other slides worked fine. The curbside slide sounded normal when you tried to close it with the normal somewhat heavier clicking. I called the closest dealer (25 miles away) and theysaid they would take a look at it (1,000 points to Kroubetz RV, Lake Crystal, Mn for offering to take it in 3:30 P.M. at start of holiday weekend). The tech (very sharp guy) immediately located the problem and I think its something that all Kingston owners should know about. There is a metal can about the same size as a normal drinking glass with the top flared out,that is used to stop the inward movement of the slide. The can has a hole in the botton with threads on and is screwed ontoa heavy threaded shaft so the shaft passes all the way through it. The threads are on the shaft only to adjust the position of the can so when the slide is closed the flanged rim of the can presses up against the side of the I-beam on the frame. There is a hole in the I-beam to allow the shaft to pass through. Unfortunately, the hole is just about as large as the flanged rim of the can. On our unit, when the slide was closed, the upper flanged rim of the can got partially pushed thru the hole in the frame. When I tried to open the slide, the flange of the can got hung up on the opening in the frame.

Ok, now the solution...well the temporary fix if this should ever happen to you. On the curbside slide there is a hole in the fiberglass side for a crank to be inserted to move the slide. That will move the STREETSIDE slide...NOT the curbside slide! So you will have to open the streetside slide all the way out. Then you can crawl under the streetside slide and attach the crank to the shaft for the curbside slide, which extends out from the frame. Just a few easy turns will pull the can back out the of the frame and allow you to then to use the motor to extend the curbside slide all the way out.

I will have to take it back it again because when I got to the campsite the curbside slide locked up again and I had to use the procedure described above.

If you look under the extended curbside slide you can easily see the can I'm talking about. It is mounted horizontally and you can easily see the enlarged hole in the frame that the can is expected to go up against. I don't know if any of this makes any sense but I just wanted to try to pass it on becuse had I not received the excellent help from Kroubetz RV, our weekend would never have have started.

We just finished an extended trip last week and if this would have happened out in the boonies we would have had a really bad time because on our unit if the curbside slide doesn't come out you cannot get into the kitchen or living areaEdited by: calliopeguy

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

This is not just an issue with the Kingston but all the Crossroads models. I have had the same type issues with the slide adjustment bell and have had to make adjustments on ours from time to time. I always have a largeadjustable wrench in the tool box to make adjustments if needed on the road. Glad you got the issue worked out and had a good trip.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I've just recently noticed this on our unit. The stopper has become somewhat distorted and will eventually get hung up ascalliopeguy has mentioned. Why they cut a square hole much larger than required for the bell shaped stopper is beyond me. I only see 2 options to remedy this. 1 is to remove the stopper and have someone weld a flat plate to the frame with a smaller diameter hole and the readjust the stopper or 2, weld a little bigger plate to the stopper itself. Not sure of the metalurgy of the stopper without removing it and taking it to a welding shop. Any welders out there that have maybe remedied this problem?

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Howdy

Interesting post we have the same problem with our 30sk cruiser. By "curbside" I presume you are refering to the "door" side of the unit? Also when cranking the slide out manually is it clockwise or counter-clockwise while facing the frame?

thanks Cal
Old 07-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

CeeDee - Since the slide is already closed, if you turn the crank the wrong way you will of course have a lot of resistance. When you turn it the correct way it turns easily. Also if you could have someone stand on the curbside and watch the slide you can also easily tell which way you are attempting to go.

I'm assuming unless my KF30SB was built differently that all Crossroads products could possibly have this problem. Seems like this would be a good time for a factory recall.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The Lippert electric slide manual says to turn counterclockwise to extend (open) slide and clockwise to retract (close) the slide. Hope this helps.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have a 30 kingston 2011 model and have just experienced the same problem but on the street side (drivers side).....I just dropped off my unit at the dealer yesterday. Seems to me that crossroads should do something like have a recall to these units.
whipandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Whipandee - Would you please post what your dealer did to fix the problem? I'm taking mine in next week but the RV tech said he was going to call Crossroads for what type of repair they recommend. Getting that type of info from a manufacturer may not be as quick as needed so I would be curious what your RV tech did to repair it. However Crossroads may have already had a number of inquiries so maybe there is a plan.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Went to the dealer yesterday and he told me that he thought that was no more than an adjustment at the bell. Do not know for sure he has the fix yet because I have some other items that he is working on and all of the work is not completed. I will try to let you know when I pick-up.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

When I took mine in the tech tried his best to reshape the bell (can) because it was not perfectly round. He also tried to bend the flange a little more so it would be wider overal when it hit the frame. Worked perfect....until I got to the campground a little while later. Luckily I watched what he was doing so I could manually extend the slide. I have another appointment on Monday with the tech and he agrees it will either be modifying the bell (attach a larger "ring" around the flange) or make the opening in the frame smaller. However I would be a lot more satisfied if Crossroads came out with a factory recommended fix.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I received word today from the dealer that crossroads hasLippert engineering involved and that they plan to install a plate with a smaller hole in it so the bell won't get hung up. My dealer is waiting on the drawings to complete the repairs.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

My dealer called me this a.m. and informed me that the Lippert engineering folks are involved in the fix. The plan is to install a plate with a smaller hole so the bell won't get hung-up. My dealer is waiting for the drawing and will make repairs asap. I thank everyone involved in the fix (expecially Crossroads)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I was supposed to get mine fixed last Monday but the Tech also stated that Lippert was coming up with some repair procedure.He could probably fix it, and I'm sure he could and would, but I told him to just wait to see what Lippert comes up with

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopeguy
....I don't know if any of this makes any sense but I just wanted to try to pass it on ....
Your description was one of the BEST I've ever read on these forums involving mechanical "things". Thank you for the heads up.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Took my rig in yesterday for a couple of warranty things including the slide problem. The tech asked if I couldleave it there for a while (they normally give me same day service or close to it). He said he is working with Lippert on the problem and supposedly Lippert is going to use mine for the test for the official fix which is fine with me. As long as I get full support from the manufacturers I'm willing to continue to go with the "stuff happens" routine.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
New Camper

Hey Guys, New here, Just wanted to let you know that so far it sound like we will just make the hole in the frame smaller, but before we do that we are ruling out all other possibilities. I will keep you up to date, I should now more soon.

rvdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Was just wondering if anyone heard anything new about the slide problem.....No info in about a week now.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
New Camper

For now according to lippert the stop cone should not be tight against the frame, it should be around 1/16" away from frame when slide is in. So far it seems to be working.

rvdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdoc
For now according to lippert the stop cone should not be tight against the frame, it should be around 1/16" away from frame when slide is in. So far it seems to be working.
Sooo, tell us again the purpose of the "STOP cone" I guess they should have called it something else like "extra metal piece thingy that serves no purpose"

Sorry for the sarcasm but that sounds to me like an easy out for fixing a f***up and getting out of many warranty claims in the future as it's not just Kingston but othe CR products as well.

Come on guys, step up and rectify the problem, not a bs solution.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

So apparantly you don't need a stop cone due to the fact that it needs to stop before it gets to the stop.....heard enough bullsh*t.... I thought I was dealing with a quality cooperation but seems that I am dealing with a company that don't give a rats a-- about satisfying customers.......just a band=aid company...fix it long enough to run the coustomer out of warranty help.....just about had enough....this is not a single incident...not just kingston.....crossroads needs to get off it and fix the problem. It is really a shame when you buy a 2011 unti in March and the thing has been in the shop all but about 3 to 4 weeks That is not good advertizing.