Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG

Planning on going camping this weekend, so, I dewinterized this afternoon. Was filling the fresh water tank to flush it and clean it for the weekend. Well after it was filled, I turned on the pump and it came on and I waited for it to stop. Twenty minutes later, it was still running. I turned on a faucet and no water. Pump is still running. I closed the faucet and connected a hose to the onlet and turned it on. The pump quit. I turned the water off at the hose and bled off the pressure. The pump came on. It ran for atleast twenty minutes and still did not shut off. I opened a faucet and ..........no water. Just an other problem to add to the piece of%*&$ that I bought. I guess it is time to email Randy and tell him there is another problem for them to fix. Talk about being Peed off. Well time to drink and say ____-it.

George

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Maybe a stupid question but did you run water out of all of the faucets with the city water connected and make sure the lines are full? Could be the pump is just air locked.
Bayou Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

My guess is the the valve may be open for your antifreeze bottle and it is sucking air.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Talker
Maybe a stupid question but did you run water out of all of the faucets with the city water connected and make sure the lines are full? Could be the pump is just air locked.

Yes I did. Once the pump is running and if I turn on city water, pump stops.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDLuke
My guess is the the valve may be open for your antifreeze bottle and it is sucking air.

The valve is in the freshwater tank position. I also tried it in the antifreeze position. Nothing nada zero zilch

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Well, could be a few issues. First, make sure your fresh water city inlet doesn't have a defective valve. Do you have a basement full of water? I had one go bad on my Jayco and I couldn't figure out why the pump was running & running. My wife yelled that water was spraying out the city inlet. That was a simple fix but annoying.

Second, ensure that your plug is installed in the HW heater. Then make sure the by-pass is not engaged for the HW heater OR the antifreeze pump line. Also, make sure your fresh water tank is half full and that the plug in the bottom is installed (I've been there). Fill the tank as mentioned, close all faucets and outside shower to the OFF position. Open only a single faucet, both hot/cold on the faucet furthest from your tank/pump. Turn the pump ON, this will bleed air, fill your HW tank (this can take a bit) and will circulate water through the system.

If this doesn't work the pump itself may not have been winterized correctly, there is a check valve in the pump. Is this defective?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I put a shut off valve at the city water connection in case the valve was open, not that. No the basement is dry.

The plug is in the water heater. The by pass is not engaged. The fresh water tank is full and the plug is in place. I filled the hot water tank when connected to city water. I flushed antifreeze from lines while connected to city water. Disconnected city water and filled fresh water tank. Turned on pump and waited for pump to quit, but it did not. Opened bathroom sink faucet and water just trickled out then quit. If I connect city water while pump is running pump stops, but does not pump water from the tank. I can fill a portable tank and put a hose in it and connect to the winterize connection and turn on the pump and it will pull the water from the portable tank. It is not pulling the water from the fresh water tank.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
That means the check valve in the pump is bad or stuck, or there is a diaphram issue with the pump. How did you winterize, did you use the pump to pull anitfreeze?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
That means the check valve in the pump is bad or stuck, or there is a diaphram issue with the pump. How did you winterize, did you use the pump to pull anitfreeze?

Yes, the pump was used to pull the antifreeze towinterize.

Other than that I have not used the pump.Edited by: GeorgeG

Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG
I put a shut off valve at the city water connection in case the valve was open, not that. No the basement is dry.

The plug is in the water heater. The by pass is not engaged. The fresh water tank is full and the plug is in place. I filled the hot water tank when connected to city water. I flushed antifreeze from lines while connected to city water. Disconnected city water and filled fresh water tank. Turned on pump and waited for pump to quit, but it did not. Opened bathroom sink faucet and water just trickled out then quit. If I connect city water while pump is running pump stops, but does not pump water from the tank. I can fill a portable tank and put a hose in it and connect to the winterize connection and turn on the pump and it will pull the water from the portable tank. It is not pulling the water from the fresh water tank.

Check the pick up hose for kinks and look at where it disappears to the tank to make sure it is not pinched.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Where it goes into the wall it is not kinked and I cannot see it any further with out taking something in the kitchen apart.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I just pulled the grill off of the furnace and the line that goes to the fresh water tank goes under the floor and I cannot see it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I have a 29RK so my set up is different. I can see where it goes to the tank and have had it kink so no suction. If yours goes into the wall I don't know what to suggest, but if it goes through the wall into another compartment you may have an opportunity to see some more of the line. The fact that the "antifreeze" line picks up says the pump works so it seems there could only be a blockage.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

it looks as though my fresh water tank is just in front of the wheels and my drain is right behind the left front wheel.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Ready to get the sawzall out and just start cutting. I'm just P.O.ed about this. If I would of been able to use the trailer past the middle of September I would of known about this last year.

on edit

I'm also really pissed at my dealer right now too!Edited by: GeorgeG

Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

When you have the valve switched to the tank is there any suction on the antifreeze pick up? Maybe the valve isn't sealing completely.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I took the line off that goes to the fresh water tank and tried to blow and suck through it. Cannot do either. Must be either kinked or pinched or something like that.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Is anyone else having a problem with the site? It is telling me that I have exceeded the number of posts allowed and spamming is not allowed. Go figure I would have a problem!!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I guess its time for Jagermeister and call it a night. DW doesn't know yet, either!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Ok, here is day 2. I took the elbow off the line that goes to the fresh water tank just before the wall. I was able to blow through the line. I took the line off from the antifreeze/fresh water tank valve to the elbow in the line before it goes through the wall. I tried to blow through the line and could not. I took the elbow off and the line was clear, but the elbow had pieces of plastic stuck in it. I cleaned those out andput the line and elbow back on to the line to the tank. I was able to blow through to the tank. Filled the fresh water tank andhooked hose up to city water connection to make sure that air was out of the lines. Disconnected the hose. Went in 5ver and turned pump on. Pump came on and ran for a couple seconds and shut off. Turned water on at kitchen sink had water and the pump came on, good flow. I figured that I would let it run for a little bit and flush things out (ran about 5 min). Wrong, the pump now started to make a loud noise and vibrates the whole 5ver. Before you could hardly hear the pump run inside. Water flow has stopped. It now cannot even pull water in from the winterizing valve.

Is it possible that something (plastic) got inside the pump now to cause this? Could running it yesterday with no water ruin the pump? I'm really fustrated at this point, and it is too early to start drinking. Has anyone had one of these pumps apart? Any suggestions other than replacing the pump?