Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2007 CF30SK that I have pulled for about 24,000 miles. Lots of mods.
My problem is with the central heat.
It has given me sporadic problems since the beginning. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just blows cold air.
It hasn't been a big deal, since I have a couple of ceramic heaters, and a ventless blue flame space heater. However DW wants the central heat to work right.
I took it out and took it to a dealer. He said he ran it through it's cycles over a dozen times, and there wasn't anything wrong ($100 please). OK, I took it back, re-installed it, cut out several splices in the wiring that were wire nutted, and crimped in new wire. The heater seemed to run fine. Next time out, it worked great at first, until the middle of the first night, then stopped (stopped heating, continued to blow cold air). I recycled it several times over a period of the next couple of days, then just left it on. Well...in the middle of the night, it started working, and did fine until we got home (3 or 4 nights). Since we will be going out again for Christmas, I decided I would run it at least one time every day until then, just to be sure. Well, it got cold today, (35-40 degrees) so I went out and started it up. Cold air. I recycled it several times. Still cold. You can smell propane at the outside vent, and hear it trying to start, but not starting.
On impulse, I decided to turn on the gas to the water heater (we normally use AC for it). It started on the second cycle, ran great for about 15 seconds and quit. Then, after 15 seconds it started again, ran great and after about 30 seconds I could hear the pressure decreasing until it quit. 15 seconds later it fired off again, good pressure, then the pressure decreased again and it went out. This went on for 6 or 8 cycles, then it seemed to run OK (though it sounded like the pressure was low).
I tried the heater again...still cold air.
I switched the tanks (thought maybe I had gotten some bad propane). No help.
The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is changing out the regulator.
Any ideas, before I buy a new regulator?
I will appreciate any thoughts.
Cliff

cliffw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

From what you discribe it sounds like the pressure regulator.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

That's what I'm afraid of. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree with Keith, it sounds like the regulator. What happens with the cook top burners, will they very in intensity/flame color? Turn on one at lowest possible setting and see what happens. There could also be an intermittent leak in the lines somewhere, the regulator is designed to shut off the flow of propane if the pressure drops too low. This is a safety measure against a sudden rupture during an accident.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Dayle1,
I turned on all of the burners, and they seemed to be working fine.
Tomorrow, I'll try turning one on low and see what happens.
Thanks,
Cliff

Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

My guess is that it is the igniter. If you smell propane, I would assume you have gas. If you have gas, all you need is a source to light it. I would check for a loose connection in the ignition system.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I would have thought that to (ignitor)but he said the water heater would not stay lit onpropane which made me think it might be the regulator.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Cliff, you said the stove burners were working fine...what about the refrigerator on gas? Curious that the stove worked, yet it's after the WH and central heat on the main line.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Cliff, I agree it sounds like a regulator problem. I replaced mine as well. I installed two propane pressure gauges (about $15.00 at Walmart). With these installed, I found the system would bleed off gas within 5-10 minutes of closing the valves on the tanks. I could also smell propane in the tank compartment. After the new regulator, my pressure will stay in the system for at least 24 hours before bleeding off once I turn off the tanks. This is now an inspection item before each trip.

I don't know where the gas bleeds out at but I assume it is at the appliances (although I never smell gas inside the rig).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Well, I turned the burner on low, and it seemed to be OK.
The refrigerator started on gas OK.
My friend had a spare regulator, the same as mine, so I switched them out. Now the stove burners seem to burn higher (more pressure), and the water heater seems to be running correctly. The furnace, however, is still doing the same thing. I am going to recycle it a few more times to see if, maybe, there is some air in that branch of the line.
I, also, found plans on the Internet to build a manometer to make sure I have 11 inches pressure on the line. I guess I will try that next.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Cliff

Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Cliff, is there any possibility that your heater is in the slide out and there is a flexible propane line that supplies it that might be kinking cutting off the propane supply to the heater? Just throwing things out there.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Keith, good thought, but no, the furnace is directly under the water heater, beside the sink (at the front of the kitchen). Not even close to the slide.
What really gets me is that after the repair guy said there was nothing wrong with the heater, and I replaced the wire nutted connections with crimps, I thought the problem was solved. DW flipped when it quit in the middle of the night. I was sooo glad I had installed the blue flame ventless heater. It does a good job.
I'm still going to recycle it a few more times before I throw in the towel, and take it in to a repair shop (this time I am not going to uninstall it, I'll take the whole rig in).
Cliff

Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I believe there is a manual shutoff valve under the trailer near the sewer hose connecton on the 30sk. Could it be partly shut restricting the gas flow?? Since the furnace demands more gas than any other device maybe it is just running out of gas?? Just a thought.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I didn't know about the shutoff valve (and here, I thought I had checked out every possible item on the rig...go figure). I'll check it tomorrow, if I can find it.
Thanks.
Cliff

Old 12-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Our '10 CF30SK has a red handled manual shut off where the copper line goes up from the main gas line into the furnace/water heater area.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I guess they started adding the cutoff after 2007. Mine doesn't have one.
When I went out today, the water heater was acting up again. It would start, run for a few seconds full force, then begin losing pressure untio it went out (from 20 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes). I let it go through its cycles about 15 or 20 times.
The stove burners work fine, but I remembered it has an internal regulator to cut the pressure down even further than the main gas line.

Here's my thinking:
The stove doesn't need much pressure.
The water heater needs more pressure.
The furnace needs the most pressure (volume) of all.
So, the stove works, the water heater works poorly, and sporadically, and the furnace doesn't work at all.
Therefore: even though I swapped out the regulator, the one I put in is of unknown quality/age, and might be bad, since my friend had it in his garage for no telling how long.
So, it appears that the pressure in the line is too low, and that means a new regulator (or maybe, taking the old regulator in to be checked).
Can I just take the regulator off, and take it in, or do I need to take the whole rig in?

As usual, any thoughts are appreciated, and followed up on.
Thanks,
Cliff

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Don't see why you can't take just the regulator in...and if they sell for about $15 a new one might be worth a try too...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I would have a propane dealer check the regulator and if it is bad and he doesn't have an auto switch over model you can get one online for under $50.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

OK...I made a manometer from these instructions:

http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html

Good article, very easy to consturct. When I hooked it up, the pressure was less than 8 water column inches, and it's supposed to be 11 inches.
I adjusted the regulator according to the instructions in the article, and the furnace kicked off and seems to be running OK now.
We'll see if it keeps running all right over the next few days. If it doesn't, I'll replace the regulator.
I can't believe it was that far off from the factory. It might be defective, and will be off again soon. I'll carry the manometer with me just in case.
Thanks, all, for your input. I do appreciate this forum.
Cliff

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

That is great info!! thanks
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote