Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We've just bought a new 2011 Cruiser 325CK fifth wheel, without the electric fireplace. We figure to use small space heaters on nights that are a little chilly but not cold enough to fire up the furnace. Anyone else out there use 'em in their trailers? Any recommendations or thoughts. We have a small Pelonis ceramic disk heater at home that draws 12.5 amps and does a good job heating a small area when we're watching TV or some such at home. We figured to use two of those in the trailer to take the chill off. Anybody have any experience with that strategy?

dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I use 2 and fireplace and heat our camper down into the teens. The fireplace will heat down to about 25 degrees.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you are going to use one in the living area and one in the bedroom area at the same time make sure you check the circuit breaker wiring if you have 50 amp service. On our trailer they had the front outlets and the rear outlets both on breakers on the same 50 amp leg. I moved the front outlet wire to the other 50 amp leg so all the load wasn't on one leg.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have one for the bedroom. The fireplace will help in the living room area. I would agree with post above if you plug into the same circuit it will melt the wires. trailer wiring is not like household wiring.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I don't think the post above stated anything about melting wires. Check and see if you are putting 2 heaters or more on the same curcuit. The electric servive in your camper is the same as in your house 15 amp has 14 gague wiring 20 amp has 12 gague. If you over load a breaker will trip.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks much for your replies. Sounds like a couple of small ceramic disk heaters may be the way to go to take the chill off in the living area while watching TV or reading.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We have one of the oil radiator type heaters in the camper. We find that it is completely quiet, takes just a short time to heat up but gives out a much more even heat as it cycles.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

We have the fireplace in the Back and with a small electric heater in the bedroom we don't really need the furnace. It works well.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Ditto on the electric heaters. We have the same as Matt & they kept our RV warm, when the outside temp was 22 degrees. I just sat the furnace on 46 degrees & it never came on, as both heaters cycled all night. I was more worried about the water hose freezing than the heat, but it was ok too.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

We do as BipeFlier does. Used to run two small electric heaters with fans but didn't like the noise. Found a couple of small oil filled radiator type heaters at TruValue for around $25 ea. They're great for cool days and/or evenings watching TV without any fan noise and to keep the chill off overnight. Use one at the front and one at the back. Rarely use the furnace anymore except on a really cold morning for a quick warmup.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I also have the fireplace in my unit, we bought the Eden Pure heater, not cheap but it sure works great, keeps the unit nice and warm with all 4 slides open and it's really safe, never gets hot and uses very little power, we liked it so much we bought another one for in the dining room at home..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Pelonis 5-disc furnace.....works great for us. Put a small fan in back to help circulate the air. Hardly use the furnace anymore...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

We have our new trailer home now (a 2011 325CK fifth wheel) and managed to back it in off our narrow gravel road, up our long, windy driveway and right where we wanted it to go. It took a little while, but now we know the maneuvers we need to make to get it where we want it to go. I was pretty happy to live near the end of a dead-end road, though. Meant I wasn't trapping too many neighbors in their homes as we worked the trailer into the driveway.

Thanks much for all your input on the space heaters.

Of course, the temperature up here in the Twin Cities the past couple of days has been approaching 80 degrees so all thoughts of heating the trailer are on the back burner for the time being. <grin>

We got the trailer into the drive, extended the sliders, turned on the TV, popped a couple of beers from the house and sat on the couch in the trailer and watched a little TV. It wasn't QUITE like taking the trailer on a trip, but it will have to do for a few weeks!

We found that our new truck, a Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel, just walked away with the trailer. And, unlike with past trailers we've owned, which were towed via an equalizer hitch, this trailer is totally unruffled by passing semis, wicked crosswinds or much of anything else.