Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am thinking of installing a Genarator in a 335SS - looking at the possibility of a larger propane one weighting about 330 lbs.

Does anyone know where such a beast would be mounted / installed in a 335? I am concerned about weight - will the structure support it and I want to avoid changing the pin weight drastically.

Also How do folks use generators - external like the Honda's etc. or internal like the Onan's and Generacs?

Any thoughts on generators installations on any of the cruiser 5ers would be welcome.

Thanks

Edited by: Boomer

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If we dry camp I take along a Yamaha 4000 watt generator with the wheel kit (http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p7067.html). I put in the back of my truck when transporting and lock it to the front legs of the fifth wheel when we get on location. We camp at the race track every year and take it along (Watkins Glen International).
I had motor homes and they all had Onan generators - good units. 4KW is all you need with a single air conditioner. We had a motor home that had twin air conditioners and it came with a 7KW Onan. The motor home units ran off the engine gas tank.

I have a suit case Kipor 2000 watt but can't get it to run - I think it needs a new carburator - left it sit for 2 years without running it - do not buy this brand.

What are your power needs? Plan on running the roof air? You may need one with a built in gas tank.

Where to put it - I would install it up centered in the front - it may take some modifications. My last fifth wheel came generator prep-ed to tie into the AC power. It would be a tight fit to get one in the front compartment.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is the Yamaha an inverter/generator? How loud is it under load?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

It is pretty quite - federal park legal. Brushless - Inverter style. Mine is the 4000D - purchased it in 2004. Has always started on the first or second pull.Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

When I bought my 285 I asked about generator prep and was told it wasn't available. I felt like he was talking about the entire line of Cruisers. I checked the website and I can't find where generator prep is available. Just a slight downside.

If it's not summertime I have a small Honeywell 2k inverter that will do fine. It would run the 13.5k AC in the old trailer but I haven't tried the 15k. To run it I had to turn on the fan and let it settle down and then turn on the AC. Ran OK. Just don't turn on anything else except lights. I always turn off the gas and run it dry when I'm thru with it and never had a problem.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Folks - I have been playiong around with this idea for a while and I think that with your advice I am fixed on 2 x Yamaha 200IS generators which can be parrelled -one weights 44 lbs ( which is an advantage) and I only need to run one when the AC isn't needed.
Plus I can get the two for about$2200 with the parallel Kit while the 400 watt costs about 3000.

2012 335SS

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7

I have two of the Honda 2000's with the Parallel Power Kit. I like them because I can load one at a time. I can also use them together with the kit or use one around the house, or strap it on the ATV and hit the woods for building deer stands ect. so they give me more uses.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Deputy: Great minds think alike! The reasons you give was EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Thanks for the confirmation.

PS - I am also a deer hunter and that one for the deer camp chores would be very handy.

2012 335SS

Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Just be very careful as to where you use them. Too many folks place them too close to the units & forget about the silent killer (carbon monoxide).

You mention Races and nearly every year inexperienced campers at the big races succumb to the silent one so be very careful.

I carry mine in my truck bed but when running it I set it on the ground as far awaybas I can because the truck bed location is right below our bedroom.

I also carry an exhaust pipe extension that allows the exhaust to be discharged 8 feet further away yet..Not meaning to scare anyone but make us all think for everyones good.JMHO jb

The type of exhaust that is used on some class A's that discharges above the roof is good for that & noise also.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

2007 yamaha ef3000iseb,never any problems,carry in back of truck,inverter supposed to give extra amps for several seconds to help start motors,dont know if ever happened.
would probably buy yamaha or honda 2000's with cord now as 3000 getting heavy as years go by

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Well I just pushed the button to buy a Parallel Combo KIT of the 2x Yamaha 2000IS and the parallel cables ( $ 1890) at Wise sales (separate buys this would have been 2 x $989 + $150 =$2128 ( Saving of $238)) Plus a Berg Dual feed External Tank for $170 ( Still $68 cheaper)- feeds both generators at the same time and will extend time between fill ups.

This gives me 4000 watts Peak and 3200 watts rated load.

I will keep you posted on how it handles the 15 K AC plus about 40 watts of other load, which I think will be our average max electric load with out running the heater or the fridge on AC.

Dometic AC user manual ( I have Dometic BRISK model # 459516 Link is http://www.dometic.com/10436664-32fa...538a1dcc.fodoc ) states that minmum generator size is 3.5 KW ( which I am assuming is for start-up - i.e Peak power requirements. So I am going to be close but I think alright.

Edited by: Boomer

2012 335SS