Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats

The flush-out line for the black water tank on my PP is stopped up.

I have taken off the one way valve wherea gardenhose is hooked to it, then pushed a rod through the interior hose to the other side to the point where it bends to enter the tank, but that hasn't helped. During that process I also ran water through the one way valve while it was disconnected to make sure it wasn't preventing water flow. Having done those two things, I assume the problem is closer to, or in, the black water tank.

Has anyone else had this problem and have you fixed it or do you have suggestions on how to fix it?

I would appreciate any solutions.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I just posted a reply to a black tank sensor issue here. Once unclogged it may help you stay that way.

Until then, if you can add plenty of digester, about 5 gallons of hot water and let it sit for a few hours. Then hook up, take the PP for good long ride and then dump. The hot water/digester mixture will help break down the clog. The long ride will help mix things up down there. If it stops dumping then shut the valve, use the black tank flush to fill the tank with plenty of water to help push the clog through. Good luck!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I just put fabric softener and laundry detergent with 5 gallons of water in our black tank today after flushing it for the next leg of our trip tomorrow. When we get there and setup I will drain it. I have used the GEO method for our black tank for several years now and (knock on wood) have never had any black tank issues. You probably have something stuck on the flush nozzle holes keeping it from spraying. This method or the one papa2 posted should work to displace whatever is blocking it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks to both of you. I won't be going on any trips until end of Dec. so I'll save your suggestions until then. May try to find the flush nozzle before then to pull it and clean it.

By the way, what is the GEO method?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Here is a link below that may help. You basically use no harmful chemicals. We only use the fabric softener and detergent and have never used any bleach. It works very well and we never have any odors.

http://cbruni.googlepages.com/
Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
New Camper

KECoats

Mine too plugged two weeks ago on the 2005 PP. Semi easy fix. Remove outside flush connector, disconnect hose and verify the check valve is not stuck, very unlikely. Now for the real fix. Dump the black tank. Drop the front underbelly to expose the black tank. You will feel and then see the flush hose along the underbelly. Disconnect the hose connection from the black tank. Hope you dumped the black tank. Use a hook in the hose/tank connection and remove a 2 inch plastic screen/strainer. Clean it. Reinstall it. Reconnect flush hose. Test flush system. Replace underbelly. Then you should be good-to-go.

Robert Stiers
rstiers403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all of you for the replies. They are appreciated.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I'm having the same problem but my Cruiser is new. We took it for the first trip this week and the black tank flush would not work. No water was going in. Is there something moreto do other than connect the hose and open the black tank valve?

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

KJones...Nope, that's it. Fill the tank (or close to it) several times when flushing the black tank. Mine clogged once and after a few dumps it cleared on it's own and has been fine since.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
New Camper

I have had problems with the jet nozzles on the inside of the tank getting clogged. I now flush a bit longer than before, and on both sides of a trip, I blow out the line with an air compressor when backed up to the garage. Iuse an 8" piece of garden hose and the air gun makes a tight seal on the hose. My problems have disappeared.

2008 ST30BH
BluCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Here it is almost 2 years later. I ended up using Hunter11's suggestion about the water softener and that worked.The flush system cleared up, started working and still works.

Never had to take anything apart. Thank you Hunter11.

Have been and still do pour 2 caps full of liquid water softener (have been using Calgon)into the black tank every time it is dumped and rinsed. On the last stop of the season,add the laundry detergent as well so when I get home the tank is about clean as it is going to get when I dump and rinse for the final time.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I've had a black tank flush on my last two Keystone Cougars and never had a problem with them ever.

This is a little disturbing to be reading you have to mess around with the Crossroads one and add extra chemicals etc.

Specially when I have alreadytraded and dropped off my2010 Cougar at the dealershipand now waiting on the new Crossroads to be builtthen delivered....

Sounds like a design problem, perhaps the screen they are talking about shouldn't be there ?

Something must be wrong as this is the first I've heard of this problem on any trailers.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

First if you keep your tank clean you will not have issues with the black tank flush so it is nothing to worry about. And second he is not adding extra "chemicals" he is using the GEO method which many of us here and on other forums have been using for years. All you use on it is Calgon water softener and laundry detergent.I would rather use that than some of theblack tank chemicals some people use which have an over powering odor and turn everything green or blue.

Kirk, glad to see your problem was taken care of!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

okay I dumped my tank regularly and always used thetank flush so maybe that prevented issues, adding water softner and detegent is still adding chemicals that I have never had touse and I've been RVing for over 30yrs.

Don't want any issues when dealing with the worst thing about rving which is the dumping of waste tanks.....

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Site Team

Most of us don't consider calcon or soap a chemical. This is a product people use in their home every day, and dump it down their drain. Whether they are on city sewer or have their own septic system there is no adverse affect.
Using the blue and green stuff is what I consider "chemicals"

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote