Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Well, we just got back from our very first trip, and it was great. Only a few things with our trailer that we don't like or need fixing. I could not get the pilot to stay lit in the oven, so it did not get used. The check valve in the black tank flush may be in backwards? I can't get anything to go in to the tank (I have never had it over 2/3 full, hopefully nothing will come out.) The water pump went through a phase where it did not want to work, not really sure what thats about. It was back to normal last night. We had full hookups most of the time. Also, there is a small hole in the awning, about 6 inches out from the rv, right over the door. A couple small cosmetic things, but enough about that. I would like to share some pics with you guys....

Maybelle, making sure the new bed is up to her standards. She told me we need to switch it out with a more comfortable model. I find it borderline, so that motion passed.

Our first camping spot. This is the parking lot of the motel in Wolsely SK. We were there for my cousins wedding. It was cold and windy. Not sure of overnight lows, but the puddles were frozen in the morning. Heater ran a lot, and since it was overcast, the solar panel did not manage to maintain the batteries. So 30 hours after we arrived, our heater quit because of low power. Not good. (It was midnight too) Found a 15 amp plug in and got things going again. Water lasted us 3 days, which was good because there were no facilities to get more. We headed south to North Dakota. I forgot to secure the tv, so it got beat up for about 5 hours. I cursed. TV still works though.Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Our second camping spot. We made it to Belle Fourche, South Dakota(SP?) Muddy and a wicked lean. I did not put the legs down, so everytime the dog moved, so did the trailer. Not a very good sleep.

We made it to Mt Rushmore at about 10 AM. Pretty amazing. Learned a lot there. Had some lunch and then headed on. It was still pretty cold.

We made it to Colorado Springs that night, and stayed at the Camping World there. I was pretty eager to get in there, but a little disappointed once we did. The camping supply section was a lot smaller than I anticipated.

I got some BAL X-Chocks, they work quite well. I'm happy with them.

Ellen got some chairs. These are the best thing ever. I love these things. So comfortable.Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Roswell, New Mexico. This was a really cool place. Really friendly people, and lots to do. Checked out the UFO museum there, they even let us bring the dog through!

We went to the Bottomless Lakes State Park. Some sinkholes with different types of water in them. One is good for swimming, but Maybelle was the only one that took advantage of it, due to the wind.

After Roswell we drovethrough a snowstorm toGallup, New Mexico. Just a one nighter there, and then we went to see the Grand Canyon.

This was my second time there, and my wifes first. We were only allowed along the South Rim with the dog, so no major hiking this time.

Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

After the Canyon, we made it to Page Arizona. We saw a Wal MArt, so we swung in and asked the customer service if it was ok to overnight there. They said no problem, just stay out of the way of the delivery trucks. So we were right at the back against the curb.

After Ellen went in and got some more groceries, it was barbecue time. I got this little grill with safety points at works, and I really like it. It folds down for easy storage, and cooks evenly. Only about 4 inches of inside space though, so no beer can chicken with the lid closed!

Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

The next day we went up into Utah. We wanted to go to St George, but could not fit the trailer through the tunnels in Zion. So we went up to the 14 and crossed over to Cedar City, then down to St George. We ended up finding a spot in Hurricane. It was nice. Full hookups, quiet, and the best weather. Hot and calm. Hiking in the morning, and relaxing in the pm. It was great. Got a lot of use out of those new chairs!

Did not want to leave, but we did. Headed down the 15 into Nevada. Hung a couple rights and a left, and saw this:

So we headed up that towards Rachel, Nevada. Along the way there is a relatively famous mailbox(it used to be black), so we decided to stop and take our pictures there.

Everyone got in on the fun!

But we needed to get checked in, so we carried on.

We got set up, and I was rewarding myself with a bottle of Bud Lime, when there was a terrible crash! and the trailer shook violently! I sprang outside to survey the damage. I thought I had overloaded the levelling jacks, and they must have buckled. But I could not find any damage. Nothing. Hmm. Went inside to check things out at the restaraunt, and it happened again! They told me it was a sonic boom, which makes sense with us being right beside an air base. We heard several more that afternoon, each one made me grin like a fool! It was great.Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

After the sonic booms were explained, I noticed a building that we were parked quite close to.

Probably right under the flight path!

So we went for a drive down a non descript gravel road. After several miles, we noticed someone driving towards us. They stopped on top of a hill. We continued down around a corner, and we found these:

Talked to the locals about things they have seen around there, and had a good time. But it snowed that night, and was trying to the next day, so we decided to head on to greener pastures.Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Met a guy that was having engine trouble just before we left, but he said he had it taken care of, so we left him to it

Took another pic on the way out. Dust from Groom Lake road all over my truck. It stuck to the tires like crazy.

We made it to Pocatello Idaho that night. Slept in another truckstop. Got an early start, and it was another cold grey day. Just after Idaho Falls, this is what we saw

Drove through that for the better part of the day. Got into the southwest corner of Alberta, and spent the night in the snow. Got going today about noon, and it was no better. I think I had close to 1000 pounds of ice on the truck and trailer when it was the most built up. Pretty gross. Wish I was still in Hurricane!Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

This whole trip was 8200 km, or just under 5000 miles. In that whole time we only saw 1 Paradise Pointe and 2 Cruisers. Are we Crossroads owners really that few and far between?

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Here is our pin & plate set up.

No problems with "chucking", but I did need to use the slider once. Should have got a Superglide I guess. Oh well, maybe one day...Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Sounds like a great trip. Glad to hear all went well. I've never seen a trail air hitch like that. Interesting.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Looks like a great trip. Hope the guy with engine trouble got it taken of

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

My black tank flush is dead too. Nothing will flow through it and I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it!

I guess I'll take the valve all apart.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Great trip & Pics! We'll get out there someday, (about a year from now) can't wait.

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Thanks For The Pictures...Enjoyed looking at them

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

My black tank flush did the same thing. It was on my "To-do" list to check and then it cleared after a few tank dumps. I assumed something blocked the outlet and then got flushed away. Been working OK since,
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I think I may hook up the air compressor and set it up to try to clear the blockage.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

My black tank flush has never worked. I de-winterized the night before we left, and tried to flush through it then. Nothing. And there had never been anything in the tanks, so I never thought it was plugged. I think I will put it on the list for the dealer to take care of. Something else I noticed that I forgot to mention:

Its kind of hard to see, but there is a hairline crack from the outside to my finger. It is the same on both sides. This is the rear cap just above the taillights. I noticed that when I was getting ready to leave on day one. I kept an eye on it, and it did not change in 5000 miles. I will mention it to the dealer, but do you guys think this is the start of a long term problem, or no big deal? There were some pretty rough roads, and it did not progress any, so...????

PS please excuse the dirt, the ice just melted, and I have not got a chance to wash the unit yet. Probably not till Sunday!!!!Edited by: lenny

SOB 5er
Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
Site Team

Lenny:
You must have had a great trip!!
Thanks for sharing your pics. They're great.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny

I love this pic with the "Motel" sign above the camper!

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Lenny, your sonic boom story was exactly what I went through the last landing of the Space Shuttle. I was checking the neighbor's house when it dawned on me that it was scheduled to land.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote