Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
New Camper

We just purchased the ST30RE because of its light weight. We have a Chevy 1500 and are a little limited in our towing capacity. In the manual, we noticed that the dry weight was listed as 5961. This was the same number posted on the website. When we visited our dealer, the sticker weight was listed at 7400 (dry). Unfortunately, this puts us right at our limit for towing capacity when full. We bought the camper anyway as we love the finishes and floorplan, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference in the weight? Thanks!

2012 Sunset Trail 30RE
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Welcome,
We just traded our Jayco 29x Jayfeather on the same ST30re. Look inside the cupboard door above the stove. The unit is wieghedempty at the factory and the actual wt.is posted inside the door. Our 30re is 6224# dry wieght (empty) yours should be about the same. I pulled it home with our Ford f150crewcab with a5.4 triton engine,and it towed better than the Jayfeather. It followed great, no sway (which I did get with the Jayco).We're just waiting for the campgrounds to open here in the midwest Great Lakes States. Have fun & "Happy Trails"!

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
New Camper

Thank-you for this information! We will take a look inside the door. Our numbers seem a litttle high and 6224 sounds much more reasonable. We had looked into the Jayco also and I'm happy to hear the Sunset is easier to tow. We are hoping to do a little travelling with our trailer this summer and were worried that the weight would be too hard on our truck. Sounds like the Ford is better for towing than the Chev. Something to consider on our next trade in. We have the 2011 Silverado Z71 and we max out under 10000 pounds. Again, thank-you for the information! Happy camping and safe trails to you!

2012 Sunset Trail 30RE
Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Just a note, because we're towing with1/2 tons,don't skimp on the wieght distribution hitch. Invest in a good one with anti-sway. there are many out there. I have a Husky brand. You'll be happy you did.

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The next best investment is a good trans temp gauge. Also watch the tach ( buy one if you don't have one) if the toque converter un-locks (slips) she'll heat up and burn up the trans (not that I've had to buy one in the midle of Montana).The 1500 should work just fine just keep an eye on things.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We got the 30 RE 2012 last August we tow it with the Caddie 6.0 Leter it tow like a charm
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
New Camper

Thank-you for you suggestions! We have purchased a good set of torsion bars and a sway bar and have a temp guage built into the truck. We will look into the weight of the trailer when we pick it up! We are having 30 degree temperatures in Northern Canada and all of our snow is gone! Camping season here we come!!!

2012 Sunset Trail 30RE