Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have put our own 11" Tall mattress in our Cruiser 29RK. The old gang of springs mattress was 7 1/2 " Tall. The lavatory side is really high off the floor. I am 6'2" tall and I am going to have fun getting in and out of bed. I am really worried about getting out of bed at night. I am 72 years old. What are you cruiser lovers doing about this, if anything. Thanks Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Hi Jim. I am 6'2" also & the first thing we improved was the bed. We put a california queen pillow top mattress in place of the standard mattress. I had to extend the frame 9" for support & we lost the ability to use the under bed storage. The end tables/shelves still work but access is from the front. I step on the side area & have to bend over to get into bed. Enjoy.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Depending on the room you should be able to add a step to reduce the step up height. Just make sure it won't interfere with the slide coming in and out. I'm 5'10" and get that side inour 29rk as well. Depending on the day I sometimes want an extention ladder...

By the way... Welcome to the forum!Edited by: Chrisnan23

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Crisnan: I had been giving the stool some thought. I was thinking if I woke up and remembered the stool, that I should remember its a long step down. I should be able to work something out after a little usage. Thanks for replying. Jim

Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. I think I'll build me a stool. Jim

Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimw606
We have put our own 11" Tall mattress in our Cruiser 29RK. The old gang of springs mattress was 7 1/2 " Tall. The lavatory side is really high off the floor. I am 6'2" tall and I am going to have fun getting in and out of bed. I am really worried about getting out of bed at night. I am 72 years old. What are you cruiser lovers doing about this, if anything. Thanks Jim

Reminds Me about the time..... We were at the hunting cabin went to bed, woke up to go......forgot I was in the upper bunk......

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have the 29rk, we added a 2 1/2 " mattress topper and yea it's quite a step up, when I get out of bed I place my heal on the edge of the step and lower myself down, so far I haven't forgot. It's better than sleeping on the other side where you would have to crawl to the end of the bed or try to get out between the bed and the mirror.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Jim, I solved this problem by building a platform the screws to the floor the length of the bed. Actually it is for the DW on her side between the bed and closet but the idea will work for your side as well. Just be carefull not to cover any heat vents in the floor. The step I made was about 4" tall and about 5' long. I bought some cheap carpeting the same at the 5er () and nailed the carpet to the platform. Much easier for her to get into bed.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Just spent a week in the Cougar. The small step I made worked very well. Never missed it once. Bumped my head a few times on the overhead when getting into bed. Wife not too happy with making up the bed. Real tight next to the closet. She has learned to open the closet doors for extra butt space. shhhhh
Potty room a little small. but we managed. Nice trip to Twin Knobs. Jim

Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

We just got back from our firsttrip since swapping in the taller mattress. the extra drop to the floor wasn't so much a problem for me 'cause I sleep on the closet side. What I did notice was hitting the reading light a few times when I rolled over. I am looking for lower profile lights.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Stan,

Great idea about putting a platform on the closet side. I was wondering when I would break an ankle with the little step/ditch on that side. Will be conjoling the DH to make the change.

Thanks.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote