Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
New Camper

I have been viewing the family forum since March 2011 and finally purchased a Crossroads Sunset Trail 31BH Reserve in June 2011, in part because of the postive feedback from current owners. NowI want to share with you my customer service experience thatI had with my Crossroads product:

In September2011

I brought my 2012 Sunset Trail 31BH back to my selling dealer (Holiday RV Super

Centre in Redcliff, Alberta) for some warranty work. Having owned over 6 brand

new vehicles and 2 new travel trailers, I have an eye for detail when it comes to

warranty work (most say a little too much), so I came to my selling dealer with

a list of 25 items!(mostly minor trim) If that wasn’t enough I sent an email to Crossroads

RVasking them to do something about my low CCC of my

trailer(<600lbs). 2 days later Sheila Mast of Crossroads RV replied back indicating that they will

replace the axles and wheels to increase the CCC considerably under warranty.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /></span>

When I picked up </span>my unit

everything that was on my list was completed to my

satisfaction. Even items that Crossroads RV would not cover under

warranty, the dealer simply took care of. The service department of Holiday RV

Super Centre went above and beyond my expectations of a dealer. Great

after sales customer service! They treated me just as well as they did

when I was looking for a new travel trailer.</span>

The same can be said for

Crossroads RV Customer Service staff. It only took Sheila Mast 2 days to

respond to my email and tell me that Crossroads RV would authorize this work at

no cost to me. Excellent and prompt customer satisfaction! Crossroads did in fact replace the axles with 4400#, the wheels/tires with 225/75r15d, andchanged all the weight decals. Even the spare tire is aluminum now, bonus!</span>

I </span>chose to purchase my

travel trailer from a dealer that is over 300 miles away (still in Alberta) because theyhad the best price, and then I even took it

there for warranty service work. I do not regret my decision even though I

can get sales and service at my nearest Sunset Trail dealer, less than 16 miles

away.</span>

Iam very happy that I

made the decision to purchase a Crossroads RV product and even happier that I found a great dealer to buy from. it goes to show you</span>
that great dealers really do exist. </span>

2012 Ford F 150 Ecoboost 157" WB
Melloacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wow, sounds great. Another success story! Welcome to the Crossroads family.

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have a great experiance.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Nice writeup. Welcome and congrats on the new rig.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Very good, nothing like being happy with a new toy and the supplier.
enjoy
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your unit.
That is a nice write up. It's nice to see positive posts like yours. So often the most of us take good service so much for granite, and never think think to post about it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks everyone for the comments and well wishes. I agree, everyone is more likely to post negative comments then positive. I hadmy trailerback since the begining of January and am only writing about my experiencenow. If I had something negative to say about myservice experience, it would be postedthe very next day! Hopefully I never have to send out that message.

Only 11 more weeks until camping season begins in Alberta!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Wow I'm impressed, our dealer just email me and told me our new CF345RF is coming of the line March 12 and will then go into the paint shop for 3 days and should be delivered shortly there after.

Sounds like we made the right decision going with Crossroads this time around!

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Sounds like My experience with Athens RV, Athens, TX and we do love our Cruiser.

2012 King Ranch,F350,CC,SRW,

LWB,FX4,6.7 Diesel

2012 CR Cruiser 330SS

God Bless

https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/...ictures005.jpg
Traveling Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I think many have purchased crossroads products because of their customer service. I know that was a very big factor in why we chose the zinger over some other trailers we looked at. So far crossroads has warrantied everything we have asked (with the exception of one blind which we will replace w/ a curtain). Our dealer has been slow to work with but has done everything asked (except keeping us up to date on our unit). When our dealer (camping world of colfax nc) accidentally dinged our TT and we noticed it at pick up (they hadn't noticed it), they offered to keep the tt and fix it for us or give us a gift card for more than the damages would be to repair and let us fix it ourselves. The didn't argue or deny. They immediately looked at it and offered a solution. The fix was easy, a white rubber mallett and a little caulk (area needed a new caulk job anyway). We fixed it ourselves and took the $100 gift card. Can't even tell it was damaged. We opted to fix it ourselves because we didn't want to make the long drive there and back again.We give our dealer a 4 out of 5 stars after a year of ownership and 2 warranty trips for minor things. Crossroads gets 5 stars. They have promptly answered every email I have w/ a question and have been very helpful to us. Glad to hear you have had a good experience too.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Texans

Sounds like My experience with Athens RV, Athens, TX and we do love our Cruiser.

X2 on Athens RV. Clayton and Justin are GREAT.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Oops! This shows my newness.Edited by: 32FR
Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hello,
We just got the sunset trail reserve 32FR at the Edmonton RV show this past month and get to pick up on April 14. We got it from Roadmaster RV. This is our first new trailer and have read a lot about the axels. One, I hope I have a good dealer, second how will I know if the axels on my trailer should be replaced? As a fellow Albertian I'm looking forward to spring as well, hope to see you out there. Take care
Allan

Edited by: 32FR
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
New Camper

32FR, according to the literature your trailer should have the proper axles and wheels. I was at the same RV show and spoke to a Crossroads rep. He told me that they started upgrading the trailers last April, mine was build in March.

Not to hi-jack my own thread but 32FR, are you sure you will be able to tow that trailer with your 1/2 ton chevy?Especially in themountains! I am looking at a new tow vehicle and the only 1/2 ton that I haven't discounted is the Ford Ecoboost or 6.2L for both towing and payload.

Gabe

Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Hello Gabe,
I was worried about that as well, but the rep said that they are all 1/2 ton towable. My owners manual says I'm good for 9500 Lbs, the trailer is 7300 Lbs dry so that's about 75%. I don't think I'll win any races, but it better be ok as the deal is already done. I have heard good things about the ford ecoboost as well, hope to see you out there camping and that you enjoy yours as much as I feel I will enjoy mine.
Best wishes Allan
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32FR
Hello Gabe,
I was worried about that as well, but the rep said that they are all 1/2 ton towable. My owners manual says I'm good for 9500 Lbs, the trailer is 7300 Lbs dry so that's about 75%. I don't think I'll win any races, but it better be ok as the deal is already done. I have heard good things about the ford ecoboost as well, hope to see you out there camping and that you enjoy yours as much as I feel I will enjoy mine.
Best wishes Allan

I hate to tell you that your trailer will not be hauled empty. That said, the limiting factor of most 1/2 ton trucks is their payload, not their stated towing capacity. Most trucksdo not haul themax capabilities they state (this is true w/ 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks as well as SUV's). What does the sticker on your trucks door say for payload? Then you need to subtract from that the weight of everything and everyone in the truck (w/ the exception of the 150 lb driver that is usually included in that weight). This will give you your available payload. Another way to find your available payload is to go weigh your truck w/ a full tank of gas and everyone and everything in it you will take camping. Subtract that weight from your vehicles GVW, this is available payload. The tongue weight from the trailer and WDH will bededucted from your payload as well. A good example of a vehicle limited by payload is my new to me F250. It is a truck rated to tow 12,500 lb trailer. The problem is due tothe long bed, crew cab, and 4x4 this truck only has an 1800 lb payload. Subtract from that, the weight of my family and dog and gear in truck, I only have about 1300 lbs of available payload. That means that the max trailer I can tow is a loaded weight of under 9000 lbs.

As to the trailer,whatdoes the sticker in the trailer say is the true unloaded weight w/dealer added options/equipment (this includes batteries, propane, and anything else they put on theTT). You will then be adding cargo to it. This stuff adds up quickly. Most people add somewhere between 1000-1500 lbs of gear to theirTT but everyone is different.some add more, some add less. plated, cups, toiletries etc really do add up fast. The realtongue weight of your TT will be somewhere around 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. The original weight they list is actually quite useless. I can tell you my zinger was listed at 810 lb tongue weight andbefore we finished loading our trailer, out tongue weight came in at 920 lbs. Knowingwhat we have added to the trailer, our TW is now probably over 1000lbs, this doesn't include the weight of our WDH.

A great real world example of allof this is the situation we found ourselves in: When we bought our TT, we had a 2004 nissan armada that was rated totow 9100 lbs. Great, I could buy apretty big trailer. I shopped according to GVWR because I knew that if I did that, then I wouldn't go over the SUV's capacity. I knew UVW was a useless number. I bought a zinger w/ a 7700 lb GVWR and a dry TW of 810 lbs (I knew nothing about TW's when I bought the TT). Should be agreat match for my armada. No. Because the armada was rated for a TW of 910 lbs and actually only had an 800 lb availablepayload. Not good. My armada never handled that TT well. The trailerpushed thatarmadaall over the road and even pushed me down a 7% grade. There were a variety of reasons for this. I was over on payload. I was over on TW. My armada itself had a mechanical problem that prevented the rear end from being properly aligned (this was only figured out recently). I tried everything, E rated tires, lots of hitch adjustments, new brake controllers. Only thing I didn't add was airbags but that was because the armada had a load leveling suspension. I lasted 1 year of white knuckle driving before upgrading to a 3/4ton. I'm getting off track here. Point is, a vehicle can be overloaded in one aspect but not another. This can affect the safety of the whole set up. I hope for your sake, everything is ok for you. Many dealerships will say a TT is half ton towable but that is based upon an unrealistic dry weight number. Most who fall into this trap end up upgrading their TV within the first year or so terrified to drive their rig, they stay local and never tackle big hills. I know, I was one of them. I wish you the best of luck and a better towing experience than I had.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Lots of good info anaro, totally agree. Our first TT was a 29' Denali (about 7500# dry) towed with a 2010 Toyota Tundra rated for 10,000# and a Reece dual cam WDH. It was advertised as "1/2 ton towable", salesman said "no problem". Got hairy every time a 18 wheeler blew past and struggled going up hill (never tried any mountains). After 10 months gave it up and traded for a Dodge 2500 HD Diesel and later upgraded to a Cruiser 335 5th wheel. Two of my better decisions....
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
New Camper

You are so lucky to have had a good experience, I wish we could same the same. We purchased a brand new Crossroads Sunset trailer in late August 2010 and took it out for the first time in September 2010. The slide out leaked and we had 2 inches of rain that we bailed out most of the night. There were quite a few other things that we had problems with and took the trailer back to the dealer to fix. They fixed them all. The next year - the first time we take the trailer out and again the slide out leaks, all the rubber molding around the slide out pulls away and now they say 'It's out of warranty". I wrote to the Crossroads General office and the response from them was "You have to expect problems with a trailer".Who ever heard of a slide out leaking when it's brand new.This is our 3rd trailer and we never had problems like this before and even with minor problems the company was always willing to bend over backwards to make us happy. I would never buy a Crossroads again - terrible quality and they don't stand behind their product.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Hey Meier I don't believe your story.
1st - Why are you now just posting about an issue you had 2 years ago. Not to mention you just signed up today.
2nd - Your unit should still be in warranty. ST have a 2 year warranty.
3rd- The repair should have been covered for 12 months from day of service.

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Melloacres...a very impressive story to say the least...I too have searched high and low and bought a Crossroads because of all I read on this site. I have seen much more pro than con and that is what sold me...I look forward to going to the factory rally this year and meeting many of the people who have been kind enough to help me make my decision. While I hope my problems are small I have faith that I chose the correct dealer and that they will take care of me every bit as well as your has taken care of you. Happy Camping

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote