Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

My gold decal on the sun side of my rig has become cracked and just plain ugly. The other colors are fine so I thought I might try and just remove the gold decal. The decal comes off fine with a heat gun set to low temp. My issue is the glue under the decal vinyl. For those of you who may have tried this, what did you find that removes the glue? I have tried the heat gun, Goo-Gone, WD-40 and a few other things I have around the house but so far nothing really dissolves the glue easily. Any other ideas I might try?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I took the red ones off my PP a few years back. I used a heat gun and a heavy duty plastic blade (almost as thick as a credit card. It took a bit of doing but got them off. Then I used this decal off solvent, sorry I am not at home now, but google removing decals and they should be able to point you in the right direction. I must tell tell you it was a pain and took lots of time.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have had good luck with De-Solv-It, which is a citrus solution found at a local hardware store and once at West Marine. Works when Goo-Gone etc don't.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I used a paint cleaner from walmart with success. Tried it on an inconsicuous spot to make sure it wouldn't hurt the gel coat first.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Have removed a number of decals for alot of different reasons. What has worked best for me is "OPPS" which in a sense is the same GOO-GONE and many other removers.

What I found to be the key is that I would use cotton balls which I would soak with the removal liquid. Rub gently making sure that you are saturating the tacky area. As the adhesive begins to break free, the cotton ball will load up rather quickly. Upon this happening, grab another clean cotton ball, soak it with the solution and begin the gently rubing process again. Allowing the solution to soften the adhesive is the key. If you do not let the solution do it's work, you will end up making a sticky mess and only become frustrated with your results.

Upon completion, make sure that you wash the area using some kind of rv/car wash detergent and warm water. When dry, apply a coat of good polish/wax of your choice to protect the surface and remove any ghost haze left on the clear/gel coat from the removed decal.

Good luck and remember to be patient.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks all for the inputs. I will try each of those ideas and report back with the results.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Randy at the Crossroads service dept recommended something called Vinyl Off to me. I have not been able to try it yet. He did say to wipe off any color bleed right away.

http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm

After looking at their products, I might be wanting some Adhesive Off too. I guess I'll call them to ask.

Edited by: snowman9000

2004 Chevy Duramax CC SB

Honda eu2000i
snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have always used the 3M Adhesive Remover. It comes in a red and white aerosol can and can find it at most part stores.
AvyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

May be similar to truck decals - I use a hair dryer - start in a corner and heat and pull. Use auto wax to remove the residue.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Hi Stan, we have the same issue and only the tan or gold decals are pealing along the edges.
Can't remember, is your unit the early decals like ours, see signature?
What are you going to do when removed? Leave them off or have you been able to find replacements? I've been wondering what to do with ours but haven't persude looking into replacements.
We've had a mild winter and missed out on the Texas Rally but followed the thread. Sounds like all had a good time.
Have a great spring and summer.
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Site Team

If you guys want to replace your decals, but can't get originals from CR, take pictures and measurements of the old ones before you remove them. You should be able to get them made at a sign/decal shop. Them guys have computer programs that can make/duplicate anything. I have had different decals made by a local shop.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

x2 on the 3m. Will sometimes remove dried paint. Works on those dealer stickers as well.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Dennis, just the gold on the curb side is cracked (that side sits in the sun) so I am removing just the gold on that side for now. No immediate plans to replace it. I started with a small section towards the back and found Goof Off works OK but a lot of rubbing. The Vinyl Off looks interesting on their website but I think I will look for the 3M remover first and try that. Been lousy weather up here so this project is going slow. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

;od luck with your project, Stan. Ours is the front and rear which are the areas exposed to the most sun where we have it parked. No immediate plans to remove them.
Have a great summer. Maybe our paths will cross.
Later
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote