Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Uponarriving at our destination, we went into the trailer to discover that thelatch that holds the closet door was broken and the door was cracked.I probably didn't check tosee that it was secure before we left (this has been added to my departure checklist).The crack must have occurred when the mirror slide over and struck the door latchin transit. The crack is nearly all the way across the door.I plan on replacing the door but, it isn't a good time. Is it dangerous to have the crack in the door as long as the door is latched when we travel?

2008 cruiser CF31MK
MNSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Hard to say without seeing it. Got a pic?

Can you reinforce it on the inside with some plywood and some screws until you get home? I would think a plywood/screw patch should hold it together as long as the door latch works and the door is shut the next time your on the road. Can probably have home depot cut you up a pc and grab a hand full of wood screws. Maybe toss on some wood glue under the patch to help. You can even get some aluminum strips at homey also.

Without seeing it, You wouldn't want it to totally come apart. It could damage something else when if falls. Or damage the frame itself.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

not surprising.....I have had both latches break on our 2012 Patriot. replaced them with the clear clips from camping world.....one of them broke the next weekend the other broke when my wife tried to open the door......our permanent repair has now become a foam swimming noodle cut to a desired length to keep both doors in a sationary position until we arrive at our destination.....works great......costs $3.00 @ wal-mart

Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

You can't use screws on a glass door, but 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch plywood and construction adhesive on the backside should hold the glass together until you can replace the mirror glass.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
You can't use screws on a glass door, but 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch plywood and construction adhesive on the backside should hold the glass together until you can replace the mirror glass.

X2. Jb
Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Or you could use duct tape for a short term solution. Nice long pieces of tape across both pieces of mirror.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We are also having a problem with one of the doors, because one of the latches is broken. Does anyone know where to find a replacement.? It seems to be a two-part item held together by a metal rod but I can't seem to get them back together.. In the meantime, we're using a metal and adjustable window curtain rod with rubber tips to keepthe door in place while on-the-road...
Warmest Regards, & Stay Safe out there...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

<h1 itemprop="name" style="font-size: 1.7em; margin: 0px 0px 0.2em; color: rgb51, 102, 153; font-family: arial, tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: normal; ">Universal Sliding Mirrored Door Latch</h1>
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...or-latch/49690

Just ordered 4 of them - Good Sam member so no shipping costs

Using a spring loaded rod from Walmart to keep the door closed until I replace the latch. Latch failed because I leaned on the door too hard and knocked it off the track and broke the latch - lucky I did not break the mirror.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote