Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
New Camper

The list of standard equipment for the Seville says "Underbelly - fully enclosed, insulated w/ radiant heated tanks and gate valves". What does radiant heated mean exactly? Is this electrically powered? Can the holding tanks survive temps in the low 20's for 3-4 hours a night with just electrical power while parked in my yard?

Thanks for helping a newbie!
petehami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Radiant heat is provided from the lp gas furnace. Its essentially the fact that the furnace ductwork spans the length of the fifth wheel through the floor. The ductwork comes in contact with the tanks and in some floorplans includes placement of the furnace at the tanks. By running the furnace you warm the tanks and immediate plumbing.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Brad! Just the info I needed. Glad I didn't just assume it was electric (asI originally did)and end up with frozen plumbing.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

FWIW, we have stayed in our Seville down to about -5F with no additionalheat, and nothing froze up.

I did buy a heated hose for our city water connection. Every morning I got up to go to work, and I was never sure if the water was going to work or not! Never had any problems though.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
New Camper

Good to hear, Lenny. Did you set your thermostat down at night or when you were gone?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We ran it around 64F pretty much all the time. There was always somebody there. Definitely use a lot of propane though, a full bottle would only last about 2 days when it was really cold.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

While the furnace ductwork is the primary source of heat for the belly, it isn't the only source. There may also be a direct vent into the basement. On my Cruiser there was a 1 inch hole in the bottom of the duct. Since I rarely use the furnace I sealed it off, besides it is just a waste of propane if outside temps are NOT below freezing. Anyway, I use two oil filled heaters rather than the furnace and even that heat radiates from the living area into the belly to a limited extent. When doing volunteer work, several times I have camped for days with outside temps below freezing and never had a problem with the tanks freezing. The most severe case was in Jan. with temps between 12 F and 20 F for two days. I don't think you will have a problem.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for all the input guys. Really puts my mind at ease!