Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just finished with the install of my rear hitch. Big job. Added 3/16 steel to both sides of the I-beam to beef things up. Fishing the wire for the lights was the biggest pain of the entire program. Pulls beautifully. I thought the ATV trailer would cut the corners but it swings wider than the trailer. Now the next issue. I'm blind to the ATV trailer when we are pulling straight. I really want to know whats going on back there while under way. I have had straps come loose before. I'm looking for some feedback from the group on rear cameras. I have looked at a cheap wireless setup but I don't think the signal will be strong enough to reach my cab. Has anyone tried the wireless setups? Seems like they are meant more for back up camera on the back bumper of a car. They offer a 25 foot extension cable that will move the antenna forward a bit but not to the front like I would prefer. Also concerned about moisture with these cheap systems. Have read poor reviews. I found a wired system that offers quick disconnects that I could run to the pin box. Its a lot of work wiring the trailer and the truck and expensive. Can you share what set ups you are using for a camera and have they lasted.

Thanks.
Mike

mdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Mike,
There was a separate post going on in the general section about "GPS" systems and Tim mentioned he hooked one up today that is on full time. Check out that posting and perhaps get in touch with Tim on what he's using. Mine is hooked up to my GPS and the camera is on the license plate...Tim's is on the top of his trailer so he can steer you straight.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I installed a wired back-up camera to my 30SK and it works great. I mounted it above the back window and ran the wires down the ladder, under the trailer and up to the hitch. I plug the power and video signal in at that point from my truck. I use a monitor mounted to the dash to see the picture. I leave it on all the time so I can see things in my blind spot.
I also put dimensional markers (labels) on the side of the screen so I know how far back something is when I go to change lanes.
I love it and makes traveling much safer for me.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Kenny,
Could you give some more specifics on the make and model you installed.

thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Jim

I have a similar setup as Kenny on my 30SK and it works great. I looked on-line for the one I bought and it is out of production but there are several others availablt. Try RVCams.com for one. You can also google backup camera. Mine came with all the cabling needed, camera and monitor for about $300.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
Mike The guys are rite there are many types to chose from on line and all kind of prices as well . The one I bought is the Voyager mod aos56WX IT semi wireless in that you do have to run a cable to the front but it doesn't tie into the truck at all ,I hooked the power feed to the running lights so when I plug in the Camper that feeds power the trailer lights and the Monitor plugs into the the 12v accessory plug with no wires to the trailer at all because it gets the signal from a transmitter on the front of the trailer I really love this unit I made a holder for the Monitor that fits in a cup holder on the dash so allI have to do carry it out put it in the holder and plug it in with no wiring .

Mike it's a little hard to explain but if you look it up im any RV parts book you can read how it works but it's pricy at alittle over a grand .. Lots of luck

Tim

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Dunlop have you checked out the swivel wheel carriers. Their a little pricy but they won't swing wide. They follow with the 5er. If you haven't here is the link. Best of all you can back up while attached.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks Tim,
I have looked at the voyager systems. I really like them but the cost is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I already have 800 in the hitch. My wife is starting to give me a funny looks. Every time I'm on this site I find something I would like to put on my rig and it's always expensive. Winfield makes a really nice landing gear cross brace and adjustable foot. Throw in a set of locking chocks and a camera and another 1500 is out the door. This RV'ing is worst than owning a boating when is comes to cash flow! LOL

Wisconsin
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I installed a hardwired system on our CF30SK. I've attached the link to my album of it's installation.
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...view%20Camera/
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser

HI Mike your rite on this and as my DW says [ You buy a Camper Then it's ALA-CART for everything else YOU WANT !! LOL

Tim & JO

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

George,
What a fine job with the installation...and your photo's are some of the best and easiest to follow I have seen on any forum. A really great job my friend.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the complement. A picture is always worth a 1000 words. The trailer part of the installation was the easiest. The truck part was a little more of a challenge.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the pictures. I think I found the camera I'm going with.

http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Trai...924&sr=1-5

I think I will route mine similar to yours by going underneath. I'm planning to come up into my battery box and then up under my squad bunk area. This will allow me to come down with the cable directly above the pin box. The only place I will see the cable is in the rear of the trailer.

Thanks for all the input

Wisconsin
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Mike,

I just went through weeks of researching a rear-view camera system for my new truck (GMC Sierra) and trailer (Slingshot) in conjunction with a navigation system. Initially, I was going to just do two cameras and monitor, but came across an in-dash radio/navigation/camera monitor so went with that.

If you are looking for just a camera and monitor, try videosystemsbyjim.com. He has one of the best systems and he sells to farmers, commercial truckers and RV owners. The systems are either wired or wireless (with an extended antenna if needed) and the monitor (5" or 7") powers off the 12v cigarette lighter (camera needs its own power) and can take up to four cameras (I think it's four), so you can hook one behind the truck for hooking up to trailer and one behind the trailer. Prices are pretty good too (I think the monitor and one camera is $195 but that price is a month or two old).

If you want to go further and do GPS as well (and from your picture I think that's a GMC isn't it??), try the Advent OGM1 unit (Advent.com). I bought my unit from Walt, the owner of ADCmobile.com. The head unit has radio, navigation and is camera ready and is without a doubt one of the best after-market units out there. The unit is about $1000 and you can also get a high resolution bezel camera (is in the tailgate handle like the OEM one but is better quality) for $175 and a second camera (cam330 I think) for the trailer for about the same price.

The head unit is specific to a GMC/Chev and fits like it was factory. The bezel camera is also GMC/Chev specific. The head unit is plug and play and comes with all wiring harnesses etc and takes about 1 to 2 hours to put in yourself and is very easy. Walt has videos and tutorials on his site that make it very easy. He also has a monitor and camera system if you don't want the head unit. Check the Electronic forum on GM-trucks.com for a lot of OGM1 happy customers and advice and tips. Strongly recommend this product (and ADCmobile) as a very happy customer.

I have just finished putting in the bezel camera and head unit (whole thing took about 4 hours) and my next job will be a second camera from the back of the trailer to the head unit so I can switch between the two cameras.

As stated, I did a heck of a lot of research so can answer some questions if you desire.

Marv

Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote