Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a 2008 Paradise Pointe travel trailer and our FOURTH power converter died 15 days after it was installed. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS PROBLEM???? We have another date with Randy at the factory for October 12, 2009. We are convinced it has to be a wiring problem in the trailer that is shorting out these converters.We just returned from a two month trip to Idaho, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. We had to buy a battery charger for the trailer battery to keep it charged. The trip home got cold and we couldn't run the furnace all night because it would drain the battery. We had a Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite trailer that we kept for 20 years. WeNEVER had it back to the factory for any work. We had to replace the refrigerator and water heater after 16 years but that didn't surprise us. The only reason we traded it in was so we could get a unit with slides. We wanted a little more room for living in it for extended periods. We think we made a poor choice by choosing a CrossRoads product.

Tom Seiler

Downers Grove, IL
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have found that my power converter had 35 amp fuses installed and I have not been able to find replacements. I had to use 30 to replace with the only options I have found are 30 or 40.

Sorry to hear of your problems and I do hope that Crossroads can figure this one out.

My problem stemmed from hooking the battery up backwards and the manual for the converter addressed this. Of course I did not look at the manual until I had scratched my head a hundred times to figure out the problem.

Best of luck.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I can't believe that 4 converters died. That should be an easy one to solve.

Why didn't you leave the battery charger on all night so you had heat?

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I did leave the charger on all night. The furnace fan takes more juice than the charger could keep up with. The fan was blowing very slowly and couldn't keep thetemperature up. After they checked it out at the factory they said it was a bad battery that caused the problem. The converters kept overheating trying to charge a battery that was defective. They replaced the converter, redid the wiring that goes to it, added a new ground to the battery and replaced the battery. I hope that does the trick. I stayed another night at Shipshewana South campground. We had every 12 volt light on and the furnace running till we went to bed. There was no dimming of the lights so I hope the problem is fixed. Unfortunatly we won't be using the trailer till Jan. when we head to south Texas for the winter.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I wish you the best of luck. All things considered, I think it very well could have been a bad battery. However, I don't know why the converter should "cook". They should be protected with a fuse or circuit breaker I would think. I've never looked at mine close to see what they use.

I assume Cross Roads stood behind their warranty.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

CrossRoads stood 100% behind the warranty. Randy and his people bent over backwards to please us. Can't say enough about how great those guys are.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
New Camper

We just had to have our converter replaced ( 2 months after our warranty ran out, of course). I sure hope we don't have to do it 4 times!!
paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Power Converter NO.5 lasted less than a year. We are now the happy owners of our 6th power converter. I believe I have traced the problem down to cheap Chinese JUNK. The good news is that the factory has stood behind me the whole time. I have not had a problem with them at all. I know for a fact that most of the other manufactures would have left me swinging in the wind a long time ago.

Pointer1
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Haved you been going back to the same dealer? If so I would leaved him swinging in the wind.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I did not have to leave the dealer swinging in the wind as he is out of business. All my dealings have been with the factory and they have been great to deal with.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I think there is something else wrong that is causing it to go.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I would have to agree, if your PP is an 08 and has gone through 5 converters I would be looking for other issues before something major happens. Factory support is fine but I would think they would want to fix the issue causing the converter failures.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

A third vote for looking into it further, our PP is now 5 years old and gets used 40 to 50 nights a year, and there has been no issue with it so far.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

They have checked out my electric and say everything is fine. Something was definetly wrong inside the last one because if you slaped it the lights came on fine.