Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello all,
I am fairly new to trailer camping and would like to put together a tool box that stays in the trailer. I need your experience as to which tools and parts to keep on hand for common problems.
Thanks for any and all help
Allan
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have a pretty basic tool box, nothing I can think of special that I use, tool wise. Do have a couple dog bones, extra length of sewer hose, extra water hose, and extra bulbs for interior and exterior and for tow vehicle and a couple extension cords. Did purchase some heat cables to wrap the water hose and filter. I have found that while camping outside family and friends I have bought two 50 amp hook ups with breakers and lenghts of wiring to be able to run 50A (one at my moms and one at 'out-laws' houses, which I left). Might buy one just to have on hand. Maybe when putting it together, keep in mind, plumbing, electrical and general mechanics... Good luck and welcome.
Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
RUCK is rite on ! the only thing I might add is you might want to only carry a 1/2 socket setthen 3/8 -1/4 with adpters &sockets .I know when I started out I would grab my big old heavy tool box {50 lbs }+ thinking I might need all that crap but used a small part of it .I leave my good stuff in the shop and like RUCKsaid build a light box with nothing extra because {weight is a killer on a camper }

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

PS:
Check the forum frequently for tips, hints and clues!! Treasure trove of info!!

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I bought a tool kit from Lowes for around 79.00 and it has covered every thing I have needed. Carry extra fuses for both the Camper and tow unit extra light bulbs Duct tape I carry a battery power impact wrench and a trailer aid. both have come in handy on a busy interstate

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Kinda depends on how you use your rig. Weekend camping or crossing the good ol USA. My tool box has evolved over time. Expected failures are tough to anticipate. Nothing has failed yet.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

There seems to be something to repair or tightenmost every trip of much length or time! I carry various or combination screwdriver, channelock pliers, adjustable cresent wrench, end wrenches,socket sets, wheel lug wrench or socket, voltage tester, lubricants including dielectric grease, fuses,warning devices&battery powered air compressor for sure.
Over the years I have added replacement switches, faucet repairs, water heater check valve, appliance thermocouples, teflon & electrical tape & much more. This all depends of course on how much repair you want to do yourself.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have a tool bag with general tools in it. I bought the cheapest ones I could find and I find that was a mistake the screw drivers break and the pliers and channel locks wont hold tight on the nut. So I would at least go with something Craftsman. I carry an assortment of zip strips, duct tape, electrical tape, flashlight, fuses, bulbs, bailing wire which is a toolbox must, and a number of screwdrivers, hammer, pliers and wire snips and a socket set and I know there's more, but all I can remember. I probably have more then I need, but you never know.

I think my camper cleaning supply is getting bigger then my camping tool bag. It never ends.

Edited by: longhauler

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

My tool box has evolved over the ownership of 4 trailers now and includes most of what's been mentioned above. It's still a fairly small box augmented by a socket set bought at Costco for around $9..one of my best purchases. However, like carl says above probably the single best all around is the Campbell Hausfeld model CC 2300 rechargeable inflator (Home Depot $49.97)! I can carry it to every individual tire on the trip...trailer, truck, bikes, to keep everything up to pressure. No cords, no battery hookup, etc. I also carry a cordless drill for whatever use but mostly with a 3/4" socket to lower/raise the scissor jacks. Makes short work of that task!Both of these items I transfer to the trailer from home.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I keep the usual WD-40, duct tape, spare bulbs, fuses, etc in a tool bag in the trailer, but keep another tool bag with assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, pliars etc and a socket set behind the rear seat in the truck so I always have access to the basics.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We bought a set of black and decker tools at target (one of those larger boxes that come w/ everything including a cordless drill). We use the drill w/ a 3/4" socket to raise and lower the stab jacks. We keep extra fuses of all kinds/sizes in the trailer (learned this one the hard way). Duct tape, electrical tape, plumbers tape, breaker bar and a big wrench (used for our WDH). Trailer aid for changing tires. 3 good flashlights and a brightlantern. We keep 50 ft of white water hose, extra 25 ft 30 amp extension cord, and 25 ft sewer hose. We also keep an electric leaf blower so we can blow of the roof and patio mat before going home ( a very quick 5 min blow off during non-quiet hours only). Make sure you have the correct size tire iron for the lug nuts on your trailer.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

All of the above is great info. I have one of those plastic case, Crescent tool sets that include about 150 different tool items, with a specific location in the case for each item. I also carry a high quality torque wrench that is about as long as a large breaker bar. I use it primarily to check the lug nuts to make sure they are tightened to factory specs. It can also check any other nuts, so long as you know the factory specs.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Man I carry a whole bunch of tools, 18Vbattery drill, impact gun, sockets 1/2 and 3/8, box end open ends from 1/4 in right up to 11/2 inch, screw drivers of every size and shape, volt meter, bulbs, fuses, plumbing fittings, teflon tape, compression fittings, extra bolts, screws, hammers, flashlights, duct tape, aluminum tape, silicone, tire repair kit and a whole bunch ofother stuff I can't rememberright now.

I've been camping for 30yrs travelling through Canada and the USA and one thing that is sure to happen sooner or later is stuff breaks, leaks or falls apart.I've fixed more peoples problems than I ever have my ownand saved theirvacation or weekend because I had the part or could jury rig up a repair to get them through. In my view you can never have enoughelectrical and plumbing fittings with you as they will break or leak sooner or later... oh and some propane fittings as well because those parts fail as well....

Just put all the parts in stowable bins so they are easy to find and easy to store.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Gee thanks guys now I need to add to my tool bag lol my wife is going to ban me from this site.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Hello Allan,

I am not sure that there is an easy answer as it depends

upon ones technical abilities, hobbies and ease of access to Wal-Mart.

I love working with my hands and making repairs and

modifications and we are hours from civilization. So, we probably carry many

more tools than the average camper. </span>Of

course, consolidation is mandatory.

Consider what tools and part that you may need to make quick

repairs while traveling. I stole part of this list from Carl:

A combination wrench set, standard and metric.

A �� and �� socket wrench set, standard and metric.

A changeable bit screw driver set. Include square drive bits, a lot of square

drive screws are used in RVs.

A multimeter.

A 3-lamp AC circuit tester.

A combination wire cutter and stripper and connection crimper.

A light 8-12 oz ball peen hammer.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /></span>

A hack saw.</span>

Flash light / trouble light, those multiple

LED rechargeable are fantastic.</span>

Channel Lock pliers for hose connections

and plumbing.</span>

A �� drive cordless drill. (when not being

used for lowering the stabilizing jacks to the same tension, you can drill,

grind or polish.)</span>

For emergency repairs: Mechanical wire, rope,

tow strap, Gorilla tape, tire repair kit, roof patch, ultra silicone caulk, WD-40,

silicon spray, penetrating oil, square drive (self drilling) screws.</span>

Electrical: When you arrive plug in a

circuit tester to make sure the campground pedestal is wired correctly. We then

plug in an inexpensive surge protector (&gt;$125.00) and then the RV cord into

it (It has kicked out on safety several times). Get one of those analog volt

meters that plug into a 120acV receptacle. You will be amazed at the fluctuations

in supply voltage. Take along electrical tape, fuses, electrical crimp

connectors, zip ties and a few feet of stranded electrical wire.</span>

My apologies, it seems I am going on and

on. Thank you, as you have caused me to create a check list. Have Fun out

there.</span>

Kamper Dave</span>

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
TEST

[img]http://www.mywebsite.com?Host storage.mg.0146[img]

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

&lt;br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

In addition to the tools many have listed here, I also carry a set of old work clothes to change into and about a 4ftx6ft piece of cardboard. These are items I saw my dad carry in the trunk of his vehicles over the years. The cardboard is really handy if the ground is muddy or gravel or if you are on a hot blacktop parking lot baking in the sun. It gives just enough protection between you and the groundto make the job a little more comfortable.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

The cardboard is a great idea Lonnie. I just purchased two lazy boy chairs so I have two huge boxes that I can make at least four sheets of cardboard from each! The should store nicely under the bed.

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
New Camper

Hello,

Trailers some odd screws make sure you have the right screw

drivers, if you have fuses make sure you have spares. Duct tape.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Perm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

I must admit I did not read every single post carefully. YOu got enough advice but I didn't see a couple things I find handy. A female to female cable TV connector. A slip on adaptor for your TV cable so you don't have to screw it on all the time. And, I carry a hand held LP Gas leak detector.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote