Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Just wondering how others handled this, we have asked our dealer to provide propane, battery, electrical hook ups and access to a hose so we can test the plumbing when we do our PDI tomorrow, the dealer kind of made it sound like we are nuts to need to check the plumbing, saying that they have all ready done this. We don't want to appear not to trust them but have bad experiences in the past and have seen many camping neighbors at our seasonal lot have problems with brand new trailers. We live in Alberta where the night time temperature is around 2 degrees celciusand daytime temp has been around the 15-17 celcius so I don't think that de-winterizing the unit tomorrow will be a problem with freezing and with it being May it should just keep getting warmer every day.

So did you guys test your own plumbing or trust the dealers PDI to catch any problems.

I am especially worried about the black tank water flush and the pump which I have read other members have had problems with. Neighbors of ours had problems with all the seals on the pipes being loose and when they hooked it up there was water spitting out everywhere - yikes! Any advice would be appreciated.

albi
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you feel more comfortable checking it, then check it. The dealer should not feel uncomfortable with you doing a through PDI I imagine he has not had this asked before. And if he has already done it then there should be no problem.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes, I definitely got the feeling that he had never been asked this before, which is weird, every PDI inspection check list that I can find on the net seems to include checking out the plumbing, just wondering how many buyers actually go thru the whole list if you know what I mean.

albi
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I was nervous about ours, because we picked it up last fall when it was cold, and winterized. They said they had checked it out already, but I was nervous the days before we left on our first trip. Also, being our first trailer, I was hoping I would not miss anything. It was also cold when we left this spring, so I didn't put water in till the night before we left. No problems, once I figured out how to get the antifreeze out of everything. And our water pump seems to be fine now, so I'm not sure about that one? We will have to see if it does it again.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We picked our unit up in Dec. of 06 and told dealer we were leaving for the Gulf Coast in Jan. for an extended stay and we wanted everything checked and rechecked. We have a great dealer and he checked everything including water system and then re-winterized after we inspected the unit. Have had no problems in three snowbird seasons.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

You are paying big bucks! Don't hesitate to do a full PDI !!! Before we took possession of ours we did a full PDI, including plumbing and electrical. The dealer did not hesitate to supply power and water and then left us to do our thing. We compiled a list of items that we wanted adjusted or changed. Among them was a mayor problem with the shocks, that thanks to this forum we were looking for. We did not hand over the $$$ untill everything was done.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

My dealer had everything hooked up and tested everything for us. However, on our first trip I did need to put a turn or two on some of the drains.

I did not and should have ... climb up on the roof and make sure there are no bubbles and separation of the rubber roof. I failed to and had to have some repair work done at the dealer. Crossroads was great about the repair but I had troubles and had to pay out of my pocket for the repair.

george