Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Skylight Leak

Noticed a lone drop of water from the skylight the other day. Took it apart and found this.untitled.png

2.png

Then went up on ladder and found this.untitled.png

2.png

9.png

8.png

7.png

You can see several cracks in the skylight. It also feels like one corner is not attached and actually had water in under it. There is a chip missing there and sucked it out best I could with a twisted paper towel. Looks like some mold on the inside.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

6.pngThis is just a temporary repair with eternabond tape.

I noticed this on the outside back wall.
5.png

Think this would be covered under the roof warranty?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Not sure it involves the roof or if it's the sealant and the skylight. So I don't think the roof warranty will cover it. Are you under factory warranty or have an ESP?
Best of luck with your repair.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Seeing as how you have a 2013, maybe that will fall under the classification of

"faulty workmanship" which it is. they completely missed covering it adequately with the sealant

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Tim, if you have some place to get your trailer under a roof/under cover, I think it would be good to do.
I would recommend leaving the sky lite open and getting a good fan going on that area and dry it out real good before you close and seal it up.

I don't think it will be covered under roof warranty. (just my opinion.)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Not sure it involves the roof or if it's the sealant and the skylight. So I don't think the roof warranty will cover it. Are you under factory warranty or have an ESP?
Best of luck with your repair.
Out of warranty. I do have the extended warranty. Will have to check all my options.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook View Post
Seeing as how you have a 2013, maybe that will fall under the classification of

"faulty workmanship" which it is. they completely missed covering it adequately with the sealant
I agree. TT not even two years old.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Im not sure how your warranttee works but most have 2 yr bumper to bumper warrantee so even if its not covered under roof warrantee should be covered under bumper to bumper.

Al
2014 Redwood 38rl
2014 Dodge diesel dually
dozerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Lloyd;87763]
I would recommend leaving the sky lite open and getting a good fan going on that area and dry it out real good before you close and seal it up./QUOTE]

Left it open to dry out. Patched it with what tape I had. Worried about the wall. Winterized it while I was at it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Ya make sure it is dry i would be worried about mould water can travel a long ways. Even if you dry it properly should makr sure mould isnt in wall. Usually the wall will get a little soft to the touch if u have any water damage. Hope this helps not an expert but have had water issues in one of my older rvs.

Al
dozerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Dealer finally returned my call. They asked me if something hit it. I said no. Then asked if I did my annual roof inspection. I told them that they supposedly did it when they had it in May. Scheduled to take it in Nov 6th. That was the earliest they could get it in. They wouldn't even speak to warranty until they inspect it. Hope my patch job holds!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Have you got a small tarp you could put over the sky light area?
Even a shower curtain would probably do the trick.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

shower skylight = over torqued bolts at the factory.

they use the same torque guns(if there is actually torque guns , not just drivers) on all parts....metal to matal or thin plastic to metal.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Had the same problem with my 25RB. There were at least four cracks in the flange from over-torqued fasteners. I sealed them up myself with clear silicone until I could get the dome replaced under warranty. The new dome should be delivered to the dealership in the next few days.

As for the tan caulking on the roof... That stuff really doesn't seem to bond with the roofing material well. That was one of my first repairs. replacing a section where the front cap meets the roof. You could slide your finger under the gob of caulk that wasn't adhering to the roof membrane. Now, when inspecting the roof, I make sure to look for gaps under the caulking beads in addition to cracking.
2006 Ford F-250 6.0L

logicsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
shower skylight = over torqued bolts at the factory.

they use the same torque guns(if there is actually torque guns , not just drivers) on all parts....metal to matal or thin plastic to metal.
You are exactly right. I had to get out my screw gun to take the inside part off. It was way to tight. Probably why it didn't leak inside. Dealer did roof inspection last May? Or did they? I am sure this is not new.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicsrealm View Post
Had the same problem with my 25RB. There were at least four cracks in the flange from over-torqued fasteners. I sealed them up myself with clear silicone until I could get the dome replaced under warranty. The new dome should be delivered to the dealership in the next few days.

As for the tan caulking on the roof... That stuff really doesn't seem to bond with the roofing material well. That was one of my first repairs. replacing a section where the front cap meets the roof. You could slide your finger under the gob of caulk that wasn't adhering to the roof membrane. Now, when inspecting the roof, I make sure to look for gaps under the caulking beads in addition to cracking.
I noticed mine was not stuck very good as well.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I found the corner of my skylight had lifted up nearly 1/4" when I returned from one of our trips this summer. I have no idea how long it was like that but everything seemed dry. The hole had been cut wrong and the screw had just hit the edge of the cut area. It pulled out at some point and left the opening. I removed the dicore and drilled three new screw holes in the skylight frame. I coated the underside of the skylight cap with silicone to create a gasket and then with a helper screwed it back in place. It took an extra set of hands to get it to go back to the shape of the roof. I Applied new dicore and called it a day. I checked it a few more times this year and it hadn't moved since.

Just one of those things but anyone with our class of trailer should keep an eye out for the skylight pulling away.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

From reading other posts on this and other forums, this is a recurring theme with skylights being over tightened at the factory causing cracks. Even if the dealer isn't helpful, with your photographic evidence of their shoddy work, Crossroads should help you out on it. Even if they just send you a new skylight, you would probably do a better job installing it yourself anyway. Good luck with it!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Dropped off camper at dealer this morning. They said they would check it out and call me. Said they doubt CR would do anything but will call them. Asked me about my extra ride warranty which I have. Will see what they have to say.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Got a call from dealer. Said my front cap was done and looks great. Said he ordered a heavier duty skylight and was still awaiting approval from CR for rear wall. Seems to think they will make good on it? They have had it 5 weeks now. May have to go look and check it out.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4