Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
New Camper

Water entering your Slingshot ? Dare I ask ? :)

Let's chat about the opportunities with moisture your experiencing and what CR senior leadership team refuses to admit is wrong and they don't do about it !
Slingshotontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Can you be a little more specific on the problems you have encountered, or problems you would like discussed?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Can you elaborate, maybe we can help

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
New Camper

Hello everyone , this to reference the known issues CR and the team are aware of that this line of trailers were born with , hence changes like going back to rubber roofs and domed trusses and increased roof pitches . The mastic or lack of installed at roof seams on the fibreglass roof option trailer, the mastic was not of proper width and also the screw length in many cases was not long enough to properly penetrate the alum structure to effectively fasten the roof to sidewall trims . If you own this set up you must ensure the seams are resealed using a proper sealant as I can prove the lap sealant used was lacking and did not stick properly possibly due to lack of surface prep and residue left on the roof surface Around vent stacks , skylights , tv aerials . Resealing is required along all trims and please inspect every screw head on the roof that sufficient sealant is reapplied . This line also had issues with the windows not having any mastic installed also just relying on a thin bead of sealant around the window trims . Front stone guard on these units are famous to be leak prone do to poor application of sealant applied . The fairly new design of in wall slide system in this line was a good concept except the track design they currently use allows water that runs down the slide walls to enter the Chanel and direct water into the trailer against the inside slide trim and onto the floor. Do the test! Pour water into the channel and watch it go! Weeper holes must be drilled into the edge of the channel to allow water to escape this channel before it gets directed into the trailer. We must install slide toppers on this system to help keep water off the slide to help minimize this slide channel design to water exposure. Storage compartment open hinge design is inferior to the 1 PC design used by many and allows any driving water to migrate behind the seal and voila! Water enters the storage compartments , ( apply water, look close and let me know your input ! . And why CR installed a corner shower with-out a glass neo-shower door is beyond me or at least install proper curtain splash guards to keep water in the shower and not on the floor? Yes I am making lemonade from lemons! That is what I do ! Repair mistakes ! I am not new to the RV industry as I have owned many trailers and yes this is the first CR product! All others were Forest River and yes they had minor issues, none of mine ever leaked and FR repaired and took ownership of any quality issues. The dealer even gave up with CR on trying to get co-operation on resolving any of these issues. I personally reached out to Mark and the senior team and got the we don't give a s--t attitude ! These are major issues that needed to be resolved by the manufacture and not by the end buyer! I have completed all my repairs to properly seal up my unit and continue to improve mistakes and design flaws and sip away on my lemonade as when we are in this case, we either dump our issues on another person or do the right thing and repair all issues and ensure that the next owner gets a sound watertight unit that they can enjoy with their family and be confident in that they are not getting screwed! Let's share issues and brainstorm to make these situations better for all of us ! And the team at CR that reads this , please listen to your customers and show compassion and make it right ! Look forward to feedback ! Cheers!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
New Camper

Cargo box water leakage

I bought a 2012 Slingshot 27RB back in Nov 2012. This unit has only been in use since May 2013 and has been back to the dealer for the third time this morning due to continued water leakage into the forward cargo box. On the first visit, the dealer changed the cargo compartment access door seals with no change in leakage. I then resealed the exterior seams of the forward/sidewall panels with no luck. At the end of the season, I brought it back again for leakage problems where the dealer then resealed both the exterior forward/sidewall panels and roof seams. it appeared dry when I got it back the end of Jan and put it into storage. This week I opened the unit to get it ready for the season only to find more water in the cargo box after a recent rain storm. I also noticed an increase in buckling of the forward exterior panel and roof seams. I recently heard a rumor from another Slingshot owner about a recall on some Slingshot models for improper fabrication/assembly of the roof and forward panels. Anyone have any knowledge of such.
yogicycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
New Camper

Crossroads will totally wash their hands of these issues . Is the front cargo area getting wet while it is sitting or while your travelling, question for you , look under the front where the front shell comes down over the front of the floor section just above the frame , let me know if the plywood and carpet from the cargo area is exposed ? Also while looking in the cargo area lift up on the front bottom corner of the sidewall and check for movement and separation from the sidewall and floor at the front corners
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
New Camper

The only area where we have noticed any leakage is the left front cargo box, the right side remains dry unless the trailer is listing to the right. The only time we have noticed any leakage is when the trailer is at rest (we have never traveled with it during wet weather). Regarding exposed carpet, when viewed from beneath, the only thing visible above the frame is some type of fabric membrane which is also wet. I assume this membrane is there to protect the plywood floor (I believe this area is wet due to leakage thru the carpet and floorboard). Also, I haven't notice anything loose in the cargo area other than the trim pieces between the carpet and front/side walls.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
New Camper

Slinghsot 29BH - Water Leak at cargo box

I opened up my front cargo box access doors today to find water leaked into my cargo box over the winter and my fold up camping chairs are covered mildew and staining is apparent on the interior paneling inside the cargo area. The forward exterior panel and roof seam joint molding is separated and I bet the water is entering at that location. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? Any idea's on how to fix the seperation of the side panels from roof molding?
Mike Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
SlingshotOntario, You have for sure hit the nail on the head. We bought a new 2011 Zinger, and from day one it has leaked water into the left front storage compartment. It was back to the dealer 4 times in the first 2 years for the same leak. Each time being over 3 months there. They finnaly gave up on it and sent it to Crossroads. They have had it back to them 3 times as well for the SAME leak. First time they had it was from thanksgiving 2012 to may 2013. Next one was from oct. 2013 to april 2014. The told me it was done, come get it. I drove 200 miles one way to get it. I get there and still water inside so I left it still there, also the flooring in the front is all jacked up,being not glued back down at all. And some other major interior problems they had causedwhile working on it. It really seams they just dont care. They very rarely call back on the phone or Emails. Their workmanshi is not up to par at all. And cusomer service very desperately needs to improve.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
New Camper

SlingshotOntario, We got our camper back last Wednesday (4th shop visit) as we were leaving again on Thursday. The dealer wasn't able to fix the unit due to the buckling/delamination of fwd/roof panels, which appears to be the source of the leak. The dealer was finally able to get Crossroads to accept responsibility of the problem (the 4th attempt) and Crossroads has agreed to replace the forward and roof panels along with interior paneling and cabinets (the dealer found mold inside the fwd wall which necessitates the replacement of such. Now we have to sit tight until the parts are in then schedule another visit between trips. Funny thing, due to our needing the camper for the past weekend, the dealer temp repaired the unit back together for us and after all the rain we had this past weekend camping, there was no water problems with the cargo box. The camper remained dry. We'll update once we get back from the shop, hopefully before we leave for New Brunswick in August. to be continued...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
New Camper

anyone else have this problem? warping of the front panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140807_184652.jpg (142.0 KB, 20 views)
bobjeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

That looks like delamination, a sign of water intrusion/damage.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
That looks like delamination, a sign of water intrusion/damage.
You need to get on this right away. It can only get worse!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
New Camper

SlingshotOntario, We brought the camper back to the dealer upon our return last month and the dealer then proceeded to replace the fwd exterior and interior panels supplied by Crossroads under warranty. After the repairs, we then left again the following week and experienced two rain events with good results. Absolutely no water intrusion in the cargo box area. We also had the dealer check the aft exterior panel as it too was beginning to show signs of buckling. The dealer said there was no water and was typical of minor buckling which is expected after use/travel. We will continue to monitor this area for moisture in the future. We are now experiencing torrential rain today so hopefully we'll have a better indication of any issues/problems. So at this point, we are satisfied with the repairs and disappointed in the length of time for resolution.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
New Camper

Bobjeeds, See my last posting above. This is the same problem we have been experiencing with our Slingshot. By the time we got Crossroads to accept responsibility for the issue (2 years and 4 shop visits), our forward panel looked like Mt. Rushmore, the buckling was so bad and the roof/forward panel joint had collapsed (looked like a tree had fallen on the unit). The roof joint was the source of our water leakage.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
New Camper

I have seen no signs of water intrusion. If water is coming in would it not find its way into forward storage compartment?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
New Camper

Bobjeeds, I would make the assumption that if water is leaking in from the roof/forward panel joint, in addition to the buckling you would see signs of water in the cargo area itself via wet/damp carpet or the carpet/wall trim pieces turning black or delaminated. This was the first indication we received. You might also check your wardrobe closet for signs of mold/delamination which eventually happened in our case and therefore needed to have the paneling replaced as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
New Camper

bobjeeds, we had exactly the same problem with our 2012 29BH. We bought it in 2011 - in the spring of 2012 I noticed warping/delamination pretty much identical to your pic. We had a hassle getting the warranty work done (we'd bought out of province as the local dealer didn't carry Slingshots) but eventually we did get the front cap replaced. The guy who did the work said that there's supposed to be a strip of sealant material *underneath* the seam between the front cap and the stone guard. That strip was missing, so moisture was making its way through all the screw holes. I never did see any visible moisture in the storage compartment, but clearly there was enough leakage to cause the delamination.

So far the replacement cap looks good.
dharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
New Camper

dharms, where did you get your slingshot repaired. i am in the same boat the dealership is not close.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
New Camper

The work was done by an independent here in MB who sometimes does overflow warranty work on behalf of the dealership. So effectively it was done through the dealership, just not by the dealership.
dharms is offline   Reply With Quote