Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
New Camper

My family and I bought our first Rv last year; Slingshot.

I had the dealership winterize and now I am wanting to de-winterize. I hooked up the water and ran through the sink and tub now I just need to figure out how to fill hot water tank and drain. I have read a researched but cant figure out.

I would appreciate anyone helping me understand how to drain and then refill my hot water tank.

jbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

You really dont have to do much to "de-winterize" your camper. You can open ur hot water tank relief valve to drain it at the unit its self but for the most part, from my understanding, filling your tanks and then draining them should have taken care of everything.

If im wrong please let me know so i can correct my actions
ageworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If the dealer winterized the unit, they should have turned the H/W bypass valves so antifreeze does not fill the tank. You need to turn them back to the normal position in order to fill the tank with water and use it.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
New Camper

thanks for the replies. I am really new at this and cant figure out how to flush the hot water tank or fill for that matter. I am thinking I need to open a valve to let water flow back into tank?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

In the past, the valves (there are two) are located next to the tank. Not exactly sure where they are on the newer models.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

The valves on my 2011 29BH are located under the bunk. It was a bit of a head-scratcher for my first time out last year!Edited by: scottw

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

There are generally (never seen otherwise) two valves and they are next to the water tank. One is to stop water from coming into the tank, the other is to re-direct water from the supply line into the hot water piping system without it coming from the tank. You need to actuate both. Then, your supply line water will fill the tank automatically. You should mark those valves so you know which position does what. Just be careful not to turn on your electric water heater if your tank is empty.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Take a look at this topic under "Winterizing", it has a lot of information on water heaters and the basics on draining, etc.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=3931
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
New Camper

thanks to everyone for your help! I was able to successfully de-winterize my slingshot...and without incident!

I appreciate it!