Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi all you Sunset Trail owners. I'm looking at the ST26RK floor plan as our "next" trailer and I'm wondering what pros and cons you see to the floor plan. I haven't been able to see one of these trailers in person so it's hard for me to judge by pix on the internet. If you own this trailer could you let me know what you think of the following:

Are you able to get into the bathroom with the slide in?

Is there sufficient room in the bedroom to get around the bed?

We are looking at the free standing dinette option as we no longer need extra beds for kids. We think this would be a good "Ma and Pa" trailer for the next stage of life. The reason we're not looking for anything longer or heavier is we want to keep our current TV which is a Nissan Titan with thebig tow package and we also like to camp in provincial and state parks which are sometimes limited for length.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. We're having somedifficulty withfinding a dealer out here in Calgary. The one that was carrying the line is no longer and the new dealer doesn't have inventory yet... and with the currenteconomy he's not sure he wants to bring in inventory.

Thanks for your input!
canucksluv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham

Hello and welcome to the forum. I do not have the same model that you are looking at, I have the ST30BH. It looks like the bedroom floorplan is the same as mine. There is enough room on the sides of the bed to stand comfortably. The problem that I have is the TV shelf. I didn't pay attention when I picked "my side" and I constantly hit it when I get up and walk around the end of the bed. Sorry, can't help you on the bathroom question. We have had our ST for 2 years now and enjoy it much more that our old Aerolite.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

You won't go wrong with the 26RK. We've had ours for two seasons now and love it. We have the kids grown and gone and it's just the two of us camping. It is just the right size for us. I haven't yet seen another floor plan that I would rather have.

You won't have a problem with the bedroom. There is plenty of room, although the bed can be difficult to make up. You have to stretch in past the "nite tables" in order to reach the head of the bed.

Getting into the bathroom with the slide in is doable, but very tight. I am 6 foot and 205 lbs and get in there, but not easily.

Overall I would highly recommend the ST26RK. If you have any other questions, as away.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

2009 Ford F150 SCREW, 4X4,5.4L, Max Tow pkgw/

Factory Brake Control,Reese Weight Distribution,Dual Cam Sway control

kilbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the input. Have you had any issues with your trailers, e.g. water leakage, roof, or slide? Any problems with the plumbing or awning? How about the quality of the drawer glides and cabinetry? We currently have a 2004 K-Z with bunks and a queen slide. We haven't had many issues with the trailer that weren't our fault except for the cheap drawer glides K-Z uses.

We're hoping for something with more room and a walk-around queen bed but still on the lighter side. I agree with you kilbrider that there doesn't seem to be another floorplan like this one out there in the market.

The 2009 now has a window next to the door above the 3 drawers. They've moved the cabinet with all the switches, etc., to the other side of the door in the kitchen. I think this is a great improvement as I like alot of windows all around (for when you're stuck inside). Can you let me know if the windows are the crank out type as opposed to the slide type? Thanks again for all the help with the decision to buy!

canucksluv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham

I've only had one issue on my unit in two years. I had a piece of wood crack on the lower bunk. After seeing it repaired at the factory last fall, I could see why it cracked. There was a knot in the center of the wood where all of the pressure (and least support) would be. The factory repaired better than new by doubling the piece. At my request, they also added a support leg. No other problems to note; plumbing, slide, all working fine from the start. We have not had any problems with the drawer glides, but I have seem other posts in the forum where people have replaced theirs due to problems.

I too like a lot of windows for those stuck inside days. One note of caution, we have the tinted windows in ours. While it does let light in, we find that even during the day you need to turn on a light. The windows on our 2007 aremostly crank type, the only sliders are the ones in the side of the slide-out and they slide up like a standard house window.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We did have one issue with the stiles separating on the upper cabinets in the slide outduring our first winter storage. Our dealer replaced them under warranty, no problem.

Most of the windows are the crank out style but, if I remember correctly, the emergency exit windows slide up and down.

We have the 2007 model, and there is a problem with accessing the bathroom if the sofa is in the pulled out position. I think they corrected this problem with the 2008 model by reversing the sofa and table placement.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have the 2008 ST26RK. Kilbrider is right that they have changed the cabinets on the slide so they are not a problem. I strongly recommend the EquaFlex suspension for this model because there is a lot of motion delivered to the kitchen on the backwall. I'm 6 foot & 180 lb and I can get in and out of the bathroom OK but I usually pop the slide a few inches at rest stops. I'm not thrilled with the bathroom layout and would rather have had a larger vanity countertop instead of the extra wall cabinet by the shower. I would like the new window by the door in the 2009. My DW wanted the hide-a-bed instead of the jacknife sofa but a misunderstanding with the dealer got us the jacknife instead. The jacknife does give us more storage (underneath). We also wanted the extra storage that the dinette offered. We have replaced the waterpump with a computer type for smoother quieter water flow. We are OK with the drawer slides but we changed the mounting of the ones on the bigger drawers so they lock and keep the drawers from flying open on the road. We have also replaced most of the lights with LED's. The fixtures do not get so hot and we can dry camp for much longer times. I have also added a lot of extra insulation behind drawers and cabinets.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Where/what type of LED's did you put in? Is there just a socket type replacement, that is an excellent idea! we do alot of "in the bush" camping and it would save on the battery life at night.

We have our 26rk on order as we speak. I have done my share of research and am happy with our choice! I hope we don't have all the bouncing kitchen issues...I can see how it would throw stuff around though.

thx for all the ideas and great observations everyone!

Firestone Airbag kit

09 26RK Sunset Trail

11 SkiDoo BackCountry X

malbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have been replacing my ceiling lights with LED'd from SuperBrite. They are expensive though and the color is like a cool white flourescent. They are not quite as bright as the stock bulbs. You need to buy 2 for each fixture at $22 a piece. I removed the stock bulb and stuck the LED PCB onto the fixture's reflector with doublesided foam tape. Each LED PCB has a pigtail with a connector that plugs into the fixture's bulb socket. They also have a little circuit that compensates for reverse polarity so you can plug them in either way and they work. They run extremely cool compared to the stock lights so you can imagine the power you save, as well as the safety. I have been replacing the lights a few at a time to keep the cost down. I started with the lights that are used the most.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
New Camper

Kilbrider and wsc01q: do you think it would be easier to get into the bathroom while the slide is in if the bathroom door was hingedonthe other side and swung the other way (if you entered the trailer through the door to the bedroomto access the bathroom)?
Rescue Cpt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Yes,I think that it would be easier to access the bathroom from the bedroom if you reversed the door. I like to travel with the door closed however, and with that setup I'm not sure you would be able to open the door enough to access the bathroom with the slide in.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I was in my ST26RK today with the slide in. Actually it doesn`t appear that you would gain much room to access the bathroom by reversing the door. Also, as I thought, if wanted the door closed while travelling you would never get it open with the slide in.

Nfld, Canada

2007 ST26RK

Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Those are some interesting thoughts. My take has been that it is so easy to push the button and run the slide out just enough to get to the bathroom, even in a roadside parallel parking lot, that making any mods to the door doesn't enter into my thinking. I'm on record as not being a fan of that bathroom layout but I have learned to live very nicely with it. It's not a deal breaker.