Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Traveling with Pets

Here are some tips for traveling with pets in RVs ... http://www.doityourselfrv.com/travel...vorite-friend/

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The challenge for cat owners is where to put the litter box. In our former trailer we took the door off the vanity and put it in there. Any cabinet close to the floor that can accommodate the box and you can remove the door works.

One reason we like our current trailer is because it has an extra closet in the hallway. We put the box in there and I took the door off. Even when the slide is in the cat can squeeze in there and use the box. We put a shelving unit in there as well, using the bottom shelf for the cat box and the other shelves to store items like toilet paper, etc. The shelving unit was put together in the closet.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have actually had a cat that I trained to use the toilet. I am serious. Before it gets asked no he did not flush. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...hvexid=&hvnetw
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have heard of that kind of thing, so I do believe you. I just wasn't willing to try it myself.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Good article but missing a few things. First get your pet microchipped. If they lose their collar, they will still be able to get reunited with you. Shelters, vets and pet rescues all scan dogs/cats for these. Train your dog not to bark. With work you can train a dog out of separation anxiety and out of barking behaviors. If your dog is aggressive in nature (determined by actual dog behavior not breed) then leaving them home with a sitter may be a better option as aggression can worsen in unfamiliar surroundings. If your dog were to bite someone then it risks being put down so not worth the risk. If your pet gets car sick then you can look into medication from your vet for this or leave them with a sitter. If your dog gets diarrhea realize this can be from water from a different source, stress, or they could have picked up giarrdea. Keep a close eye on this and contact a local vet if necessary. Leaving your cell phone number with a neighboring camper can be helpful. It allows them to contact you if the dog is barking a lot or if something happens ie loss of power on a hot day. There are temperature monitoring systems available to alert you of power outages or rise of temp in the rv. here is an article on how to set that up.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I like the ideal of the alarm...Maybe one day I get it for our dog. We just dont go anywhere she cant go...We always look for dog friendly place to go. When she gets older where she like to just lay around I look into this. I never really thought about it.Thanks for the info. Our Maggie is just three and has to much play in her. She good when left alone but trips are for all of us.
2015 Sunset ST32RL
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I know what you mean, my old dog always went with us. We adopted our current dog as a puppy last year. He has gone on every trip we have been on since we got him. He is our fur child and my dd calls him her brother.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I love camping with my dogs but now that we tow with our truck we can't take them all. The little one isn't a problem but the big ones are like having two more adults in the truck. Short trips my wife follows in the Suburban or my friends friends help. We're planning a cross country trip this summer and it's going to break my heart to leave them.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Bert- I forget where I saw it (maybe rv.net) but I remember seeing someone post about putting a cap on the truck bed, finding a way to cool it with AC and putting the dogs back there. May be something for you to look into.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Our's has a hammock slung between the front and back seats of the crew cab and the sofa in the RV...
Here he is sad because we are packing up to come home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20141211-00574.jpg (178.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

When we traveled to the U.S. south-west this fall, we were surprised at the number of people traveling with dogs. Since most of the travelers were without children (due to school), this probably skewed the number of dogs somewhat as a lot of people who don't have children with them will have dogs as a substitute. We see this a lot with our senior friends.

The dogs would affect their activities, however, because some people cannot leave their dogs alone for long for various reasons. One couple I talked to in Flagstaff was unable to take the jeep tour in Sedona as they had dogs they could not leave. We would have been unable to see Antelope Canyon if we had this restriction. Everyone has to make tp make their own choices as to what is more important.

One couple we know has two small dogs and they have them trained to use piddle pads in the RV. The dogs are o.k. alone, and this way they can at least "go" if they need to.

With a cat, we have no worries as she just sleeps while we are away. You usually don't see cats very much as not many people walk them on a leash like we do.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Agree, ours is quite comfortable sleeping all day and has been left for 12 to 14 hours at a stretch (which is longer than I can last, so he's safe :0)

We actually did a test with our camping buddies to see how he did...
we 'drove off' and left a video on to watch/listen and he watched us leave, then went to bed... our buddies said they only heard him when some kids walked through our campsite... which, to me, is a good thing !

NOW, the wife does insist on a light on for him and the tv on his favorite channel !!! - not sur ehow she figured out which was his favorite, but never mind !
Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

We traveled cross country with the 2 girls in my signature. They are wonderful travellers and a big part of our travel experiences. They are well trained and only bark when the RV is directly approached by a person or persons. We like that. They need exercise so they help keep us in shape on long trips. They can sometimes limit what you can do but we are mostly outdoor folks and enjoy their company and protection.
They are Mans Best Friend
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
When we traveled to the U.S. south-west this fall, we were surprised at the number of people traveling with dogs. Since most of the travelers were without children (due to school), this probably skewed the number of dogs somewhat as a lot of people who don't have children with them will have dogs as a substitute. We see this a lot with our senior friends.

The dogs would affect their activities, however, because some people cannot leave their dogs alone for long for various reasons. One couple I talked to in Flagstaff was unable to take the jeep tour in Sedona as they had dogs they could not leave. We would have been unable to see Antelope Canyon if we had this restriction. Everyone has to make tp make their own choices as to what is more important.

One couple we know has two small dogs and they have them trained to use piddle pads in the RV. The dogs are o.k. alone, and this way they can at least "go" if they need to.

With a cat, we have no worries as she just sleeps while we are away. You usually don't see cats very much as not many people walk them on a leash like we do.
I have seen posts where people take turns with their neighbors watching pets and going to do activities. It's a possibility if you find campers next to you that you trust to do this swap.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS