Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Since the newSunset Traildoes not have a satellite hookup, has anyone unhooked the cable line from the back of the booster andjoined another piece of coax to it so that it could be ran directly to the satellite reciever. Thought I could add a coax wall plate right beside the booster to hook into for a nice clean look. We never camp in areas with cable hookup anyways. Thoughts.

Thanks

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin

Since the newSunset Traildoes not have a satellite hookup, has anyone unhooked the cable line from the back of the booster andjoined another piece of coax to it so that it could be ran directly to the satellite reciever. Thought I could add a coax wall plate right beside the booster to hook into for a nice clean look. We never camp in areas with cable hookup anyways. Thoughts.

Thanks

Brian

Youcould do it butyou're better off, running a separate cable. Use RG6 to a point on the outside of the trailer and feed it up to your entertainment centre.Using you CATV connectionisnot a good idea because RG59coax is used and will attenuate the signal somewhat.So buy enough RG6coax anda outside connector and a wall connector. Mount the wall connector adjacent tothe antenna ampand run the coax to aconvenient point on the outsideof the trailer. You'll need to drilla hole in the trailer wall tomount the outside connector andconnect the coax to it.
By doing this, you'll still have your antennaavailable, when satellite is not available.(can't see the satellite for the trees) If you are intending to use Bell ExpressVu,DON'Ttell them that you are travelling whileusing your satellite service, especially in theUS. I used to have them but went to Shaw after making the mistake of mentioning that I was in Montana. They said, "you can't use our service there.", and promptlyshutdown my service. Shaw is a littletrickier to set up becauseyou have to aim for 2 satellites instead of one.If you're interested, here is a line diagram of our entertainment hookup in our 5vr.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Hamops. Never thought about the grade of cable. Great drawing and explanation.

Brian
Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We added the male/male jack to our coverplate and hooked up the cable TV wire to it. Works fine after hooking cable from dish to outside CATV jack. I considered running a cable, but didn't know which way to fish it and didn't want another hole in the wall. Ours doesn't split to the bedroom, though...so that may complicate things.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Just tossing this out there. You won't get HD in that drawing.. (Super nice drawing though). Or in the bedroom as far as that goes. Unless you run HDMI or component video wires. When are campers going to be equipped with HDMI feeds from the entertainment center to the bedroom.. lol

Camping with 1080i and 1080p</span> HD ready, LCD,LED,Plasma's and only using 480p, 576p, 720p</span> ? Sheesh, Why Go camping ! Is that why people keep coming over to watch the Games and drink my beer?

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

O yeah. Most if not all, new tv's come with the DTV converter built in. (digital tuners) My 6-8 year old or more 36" 200lbs tuber type tv has Digital TV tuner capability.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Our TV is on the big slide near the end, just poked the cable between the wall and slide to connect it to the receiver then opened the slide all the way. Worked fine while I did the initial setup and testing.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Well finished the job yesterday. Just unhooked the cable line from the back of the booster, installed a male/male cable plate and ran the line to the reciever. Everything worked fine including the HD. Our tvswivels on a turntable in the wall between the kitchen and the bedroom. Managed to tuck all the new coax wires up and out of site, and the satellite reciever is good to go. Since over the air channels are no longer being broadcast, not sure why all new trailers don't have satellite ready hookups. Oh well, kind of a fun projects.

Brian
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Glad it worked out Badwin. Looking to do it to my new Zinger.

F-150 ECOBOOST 31SB ZINGER

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...ps08c83b98.jpg

luvtocamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

You definitely need RG6 cable from the dish to the satellite receiver, at any length over 15 feet the signal just will not get thorough without RG6 cable. ( You can use RG59 from the receiver to the TV). This is the reason that the newer trailers have a separate Sat hookup and a different cable hookup - different cable in the walls.

In my old trailer I just ran an RG6 cable from the dish, under a corner of the slide, to the receiver, and closed the slide - I used this for over 5 years on and off with no problems. ( Just my wife complaining about the look of a black cable up above the shades and the door trim going around the back of my living room inside the trailer.)

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote