Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Watch out for this one.

I was having an intermittent problem with the electrical circuit that feeds the front of my 06 ZT-32SB. Basically the GFCI located under the upper kitchen cabinet would trip, taking out all of the outlets in the front bedroom, the shared entertainment unit wall and the main slideout outlets. I initially thought it was the GFCI receptacle, so I replaced that, but the problem persisted. After disassembling outlets along the way I finally traced it to an issue with the the neutral wire. I inspected various outlets in the circuit, removing the neutrals and testing. It took a while, but I found that the problem was between the main structure and the main slide. Outside, just ahead of the main slide, I located the "weathertight" electrical box mounted on the frame where the solid core 14/2 is mated to the flexible stranded wire. Well, apparently it wasn't quite weathertight, as probably 1/2 cup of water ran out when I took the cover off. I'm gonna let it dry a week or so, then seal it up properly. Hopefully the water didn't wick into the wiring too far.
CamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

That seems to be a common problem on the exterior junction boxes. After reading about many of these issues I pulled ours apart when we got the trailer and siliconed them up. So far no water problems.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I went thru exactly the same thing, just let the box dry out and then reset the GFI, I went to lowes and bought liquid electrical tape, I did all the connection on all the underside boxes and then siliconed them all shut, been a year now and I have never had the problem, I did change all my GFI plugs to the kind that have a small green lite on them, if the light is lit then your good to go.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

That is a VERY common problem that Crossroads might want to take care of. I drilled a hole in the bottom of mine so it would drain.

Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

it is very common. i know on my model they moved the junction box from the slide to the frame. mines on the frame...no water problem for me.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote